My home automation project / software

Show or discuss your existing Home automation project here, so a detailed explanation!.....
brennus
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: My home automation project / software

Post by brennus »

Looks amazing so far!

If you would be willing to share the sourcecode i can imagine there could be a pretty decent support/development community ,especially from this forum.
mishoboss

Post by mishoboss »

Yep, I'm personally interested to put some effort and evolve this software to be one of the best HA solutions. It has HUGE potential!
airox

Post by airox »

Hi Guys!

Another update report. I added more possible stuff for the remote XML configuration. I also added geofencing support. I can now draw a figure on a Google maps map and save this figure. I can use this figure for location tracking events. I can add events based on a tracker being inside or outside the geofence. This is more powerfull then the number of meters from a certain latitude and longitude. I can now draw a map around the highways I travel on a lot and mark myself as "travelling" whenever I enter this area. Just imagine the other things you can do by having events based on this (going outside a geofence drawn around your work address for turning on the heating, etc). I also added a page of tracker statistics (number of km travelled each day, time I was inside a geofence).

I also introduced a new concept which I call "Information streams". There is a lot of information out on the internet and I wanted to integrate this into my home. I added the concept of a large stream which accepts information from a number of suppliers (twitter, rss feed reader and p2000 ambulance calls are now supported). These suppliers will sync information to the stream and attach locations of the information item if available. It also provides a textual representation which is speakable. On this information stream I can add events when an information item is added and matches certain criteria. I can then do all the other stuff which was possible by the other triggers of the system. For now I decided to configure the following events for my house:
- When an ambulance, firepatrol or police is send out to a nearby location in case of an emergency a voice tells this throughout the house, so I always know what happens around me.
- Direct messages send to my twitter account are spoken throughout my house.
- News is being told through my house.

I still need to find out more information stream suppliers which could be usefull.

I don't want to Pull information anymore by looking at a site, getting my phone or ipad. I just want it to be pushed to me :-)

Another thing I have done is switching to another queue mechanism. I used a sysv ipc queue before. This was fast enough, but was rather bound to the operating system. I now integrated beanstalkd which listens on a TCP port to accept jobs. My queue workers and daemons listen to beanstalkd for new jobs and processes them accordingly. All in all, it made the system a bit faster again. Next step is to get the database update stuff async. But this is rather hard now without breaking lots of code.

Performance has also been improved by splitting up the valuereading table into multiple smaller tables. Performance of graphs and control overview pages was 10 times better. Instead of 30 seconds a lot of stuff only takes only 3 seconds to generate.

Look for screenshots at:
http://fotoboek.vandulmen.net/domotica/ ... _apr_2011/
mishoboss

Post by mishoboss »

Nice! I like the way how this software evolves. However all we can see are some beautiful pictures on a interface in some scandinavian language. What are your plans for releasing it? If you only do it for yourself why you post here your progress?
If your plans are open-sourcing it, please make yourself a Google code or Sourceforge account and publish the code.
However first you have to translate it to English or better - integrate i18n mehanism.

It seems to be a great software, but all we can do for now is to look at some sceenshots and tell you how good developer you are.
airox

Post by airox »

mishoboss,

Thanks for the response. I'm not in the process of releasing the software. I'm using and extending it for my own home automation. I'm publishing results to let people know how my current setup is and spreading knowledge about home automation software.

Greetings from the Netherlands (not scandinavia ;-)
mishoboss

Post by mishoboss »

Thanks. This is what I needed to know :)

Greetings from Bulgaria ;)
yustmenl
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by yustmenl »

Looks very nice, very userfriendly.

do you have any idea when you wil release it?
I am also looking for a domotica application and this looks like it has everything i want.
airox

Post by airox »

Still no plans to release it. A list of things done lately:

- Incoming IR support
- Mobile devices can now register themselves to the application and the administrator needs to approve it.
- Call logging of mobile devices (the beginning of the phone module of the software)
- Android application update:
- Location tracking can now be done without Google Latitude
- Logs can be viewed through the android application
- Settings screen added
- Lots of UI updates (new UI framework to create UI's faster and more consistent to each other)
- Added a cache layer when running the server daemon (20 times as fast event evaluation)
- Google calendar support (triggering when an event on the calendar begins => like saying something is about to begin or remembering you need to put the garbage at the street for pickup)

At the hardware side of things:
- Added another camera
- Experimenting with JeeNodes (gonna replace all my kaku sensors)
- Added open/closed sensors at every window in the house
- Integrated my new Onkyo receiver
- Converted IR signals from my Logitech Harmony to actions like turning off lights (z-wave integrated)

At the events configuration:
- When alarm is enabled the system reminds me if there are still windows open
- The system reminds me of beginning events
- The system turns off all media equipment when the alarm is enabled
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Wow, you work really fast! Where do you find the time... :)
airox

Post by airox »

Things are going fast suddenly :-)

Stuff added these days:
- JeeLink support
- RFID scanners support (using an RFID scanner which is attached to a JeeNode at the hardware side of things)
- RFID tag triggered events
- JeeLink room board support
- Using the JeeLink also for KAKU turning off and on! Works ok.
deraaij
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by deraaij »

Hi Airox,

OMG I have been looking for linux based HA software for weeks now to start my own HA project before I found your project, this looks perfect!

Although many people asked before, do you maybe want to share it under special conditions :-) ?

Regards,

Mark de Raaij
airox

Post by airox »

Hi Guys,

Another update. I added support for a UI component to display my devices onto a map of my rooms.
Having been doing a lot with JeeNodes and Arduino lately I noticed my number of sensor is growing fast.
The list I hade previously of devices and their values just isn't going to cut it anymore. So now I created a visual representation of my house!

Floorplanner.nl helped me a lot with this!!!

Checkout the pictures:
http://fotoboek.vandulmen.net/domotica/ ... ontrol.png
http://fotoboek.vandulmen.net/domotica/ ... ontrol.png

By clicking on the domotica symbols things get turned on or off. As you can see the hallway is the only placed fitted with a JeeNode roomNode, that's the reason I have a lot of domotica symbols over there :-) Time to go back to some soldering again ... ;-)
airox

Post by airox »

Hi guys,

Again an update of progress. I am soldering a lot lately. I built a sensor for the livingroom based on a jeenode for motion, light and temperature. For the upper hallway I also made a nice sensor which measures humidity and temperature of the bathroom, light, motion and temperature of the upper hallway and the temperature of the boiler room plus the temperature of the outgoing pipe on the boiler (so I can see when it is pumping it's hot water around my home).

I am liking the JeeNodes a lot! The RF library which works well on the 868mhz frequency is really nice. I even got the encryption, ack handling and anti-replay attack working! So no more sniffing of my data! ;-)

Monday I received an android tablet which finally gives me the possibility to attach one to the wall (I didn't want to glue my iPad to the wall ...). Before I can create a nice tablet I thought about how it would work. This made me create a web interface which gets it's events pushed! So no more periodic AJAX requests ... sensor updates are seen instantly! The system I built underneath (which uses a subscriber mechanism for UI's and a long running AJAX request which monitors a queue for this GUI) I am also gonna use to get events pushed to the tablets interface.

Greetings!
WooTz
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by WooTz »

Hi Airox,

I'm interested in your Jeenode for motion, light and temperature. What do you use for the sensors? 1-Wire?
Do you think you could share with the community to make a standard sensor out it with documented protocol? I have pretty much to no electronics knowledge, but am fine making the software.

BR.
airox

Post by airox »

Wootz,

For the hallway I used a roomboard sold on jeelabs.org. This included the SHT11 which is rather expensive. So after building this one I ordered several other components for the other upper hallway sensor:

- JeeNode
- PIR sensor (I actually ordered a lot from http://samenkopen.net/action_products/81918/797276)
- LDR
- Some breadboard which I cut into the appropriate size (http://www.iprototype.nl/products/compo ... cb-stripes)
- DS18B20 temperature sensors (yourduino.com)
- DHT11 temperature / humidity sensors (yourduino.com)
- Telephony cable (4 solid coper wires)
- Terminal blocks (http://www.iprototype.nl/products/compo ... block-3way)

I then attached the sensors onto the telephony wire through soldering and using heat shrinkable tubes.
I soldered the terminal blocks onto the breadboard and soldered all the resistors in place.
Added a few male headers so I could attach my breadboard onto the JeeNode, sort of like a shield.
Put this inside a box and you're ready for the hardware part. The software part was mostly altering the already nice roomNode code from jeelabs.org. I only needed to add support for encryption and the sensors (DHT11 library and the OneWire and DallesTemperature libraries).

This was all cheap made because I ordered a lot of stuff in bulk from samenkopen.net and yourduino mostly.
If you have any other questions, just ask.

Greetings from Arnhem, Netherlands,

Gijs

Return to “Home Automation Projects”