My home automation project / software

Show or discuss your existing Home automation project here, so a detailed explanation!.....
superholz
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: My home automation project / software

Post by superholz »

airox wrote:Superholz,

Sorry for the (very) late reply. Haven't got around visiting this forum very often lately. Their interface details are at http://www.youw8.com/nl/node/102

I had problems earlier and I contacted them. It should be fixed, but never got around trying it at my end.

Hi, thanks, its never to late ;-)

Well I figured out my own solution. At the moment I read weight and impedance data with a shell script using curl from the integrated webserver of the youw8 device. I read the data regularly by implementation of a cron job on my mycasavede vera home automation device. When the value changes it is written to a mySQL database using again curl with a http request. Works fine, just have to find a formula to convert impedance to fat. I'm actually most interested in the weight.
torsten_pf
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by torsten_pf »

Hi airox,

since today I also own a youw8. But I'm unable to get the data from the main website (not the test.youw8.com/...) since the oauth key and secret from the test site seem to be wrong. Have you created an account on the test site to get the data via oauth?

Torsten
rbmace2403
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by rbmace2403 »

Hi Airox,

I was wondering if you could give us an update, new screenshots of your home automation system. hat I have read is that you have created a great system. I am building my own PHP home automation system as well, and have created alot of plugins as well. But I really like you ideas so I am very curious :-)

Ronald
stickman
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by stickman »

torsten_pf wrote:Hi airox,

since today I also own a youw8. But I'm unable to get the data from the main website (not the test.youw8.com/...) since the oauth key and secret from the test site seem to be wrong. Have you created an account on the test site to get the data via oauth?

Torsten
I have on the way one youw8 scale for half the price a withing scale costs.I know this is a more limited device from a developers point of view, but I couldn't justify a scale double the price ;)
Anyways, it doesn't make sense if you can't get all the info.

Did you manage to solve this issue and get your data?

Do you know if in order to get the info you need to have the "plus" dashboard?
superholz wrote:
airox wrote: Well I figured out my own solution. At the moment I read weight and impedance data with a shell script using curl from the integrated webserver of the youw8 device. I read the data regularly by implementation of a cron job on my mycasavede vera home automation device. When the value changes it is written to a mySQL database using again curl with a http request. Works fine, just have to find a formula to convert impedance to fat. I'm actually most interested in the weight.
Nice. I'm gonna try to do the same thing using my pogoplug. Even it wasn't your primary concern... Did you get the formula you needed?
stickman
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by stickman »

Well, I've located what seems to be the formula to calculate all the missing bits you get when you sign up for the "Plus" service.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/fatbia.htm
Calculation of Body Fat %

Lukaski & Bolonchuk's (1988)[1] formula for total body water (TBW) is:

TBW = 0.372(S²÷R) + 3.05(Sex) + 0.142(W) - 0.069(age)
S = Height in centimetres
R = Resistance
W = Weight in Kg
Sex Male =1 Female = 0
Age in years
Example

Athlete is male, 25 years old, height 170cm, weight 65kg - measured resistance is 382

TBW = 0.372(170² ÷ 382) + 3.05(1) + 0.142(65) - 0.069(25)
TBW = 38.7kg
The hydration constant of the fat free mass (FFM) is 0.73 so we can determine the FFM

FFM = TBW ÷ 0.73 = 38.7 ÷ 0.73 = 53.01 kg
The Fat Mass = Weight - FFM = 65 - 53.01 = 11.99kg

Body Fat % = Fat Mass ÷ Weight x 100 = 11.99 ÷ 65 x 100 = 18.5%
It looks like the measured impedance value is up-scaled compared to the example value used in this formula. Maybe looking at some measures we can figure it out.
airox

Post by airox »

Quick update. I will try to publish a more comprehensive report later on.

Contacts support
Combine multiple sources of contacts into one contacts view. Currently supporting Google Contacts and Facebook contacts.

Calendar support
I already had calendar support but not that well. I've got a unified calendar now with Google Calendar and Facebook birthdays support.
I can differentiate between allday events, birthdays, and other appointments. The following rules are added:
- Notify every evening at 9:00 who has his birthday tomorrow and the day after tomorrow so we can send cards.
- Notify every evening if the trash is being collected the next day so we need to put the container at the front of the street.
- Notify about about to start appointments.
- Notify about the right moment to leave by looking at travel distance (using google traphic/maps). Like Google Now does.

On{X} support
On{X} support running om my phone and my girlfriends phone. Sends location, battery level, incoming calls, incoming SMS towards my server.
When I'm home this does the following things:
- Tells me who is calling throughout the house and tell the complete SMS. No need to grab the phone anymore. (This part uses the unified contacts view)
- Tells me to put the phone on the power when it's almost empty.
- Tells where my girlfriend/me is when getting close to work/home.

Currently I'm slowly rewriting the rule engine to get it more powerfull. I also replaced a lot of devices with their Z-wave equivalents. The Aeon labs 4-in-1 sensor and 2ihome open/close sensors.
Oh and 50million readings and still counting ... :-) And the system still is fast.
ludom

Post by ludom »

Hi Airox,

I was wondering which software or website you have used for creating your floorplans? I am busy with something similar at the moment and I like the style of your floorplans :D

Thanks.

Kevin
Home-brewed HA system based on Linux, PHP5, MySQL and Beanstalkd
airox

Post by airox »

Easy... http://www.floorplanner.com/ :-)

Really nice to create a sketch of your house.
ludom

Post by ludom »

airox wrote:Easy... http://www.floorplanner.com/ :-)

Really nice to create a sketch of your house.
Thanks! Looks really nice indeed. I will try this one out :D
Home-brewed HA system based on Linux, PHP5, MySQL and Beanstalkd
blckshdw
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by blckshdw »

Since a few weeks, i'm exploring the home automation world.
At the moment i created an engery logger with Arduino components and created a web based design around it.

Because i already have PHP/MySQL/Apache experience, i'm looking for a self-made home automation system.

How is your progress, airox?
airox

Post by airox »

Ok. This is a very late reply. But let me give a quick update about the stuff I have done the last half year.

Boblight support
I made an arduino based digital LED strip with the LEDstream.pde and boblightd. I then installed the module in XBMC.
But besides colors during a movie I also integrated "boblight-chase" into the system. I can now use the LED strip for effects and ambient lighting.
Again, controllable through the system.

Voice modem support
Bought a cheap 56k voice modem and used vgetty to create a voicemail recorder on the raspberry pi in the metering closet.
Created a small PHP script to monitor the vgetty log to transmit incoming numbers + DTMF actions towards my main server.
Also created a script which sends recorded voicemails towards the FTP server. All this made it possible to notify by mobile or blinking lights
on an incoming call or recorded voicemail. The voicemails can be played throughout the house by using the speaker provider concept I have in my system.
Also I can phone the house, press some numbers and the security gets disabled.

Domain Specific Language
Finally created a stable DSL which supports the system and makes it more flexible. Just define a rule in plain and readable text and the system will run this.
Sample:

Code: Select all

@set turnonxbmcmode "Zet XBMC modus erop"
rule "Zet XBMC modus erop"
	on manually triggered
	then
	do
		send infrared "Samsung_BN59-00861A" "InputHdmi1"
		send infrared "upc" "Off"
		send infrared "OnkyoTXNR509" "InputGame"
	but only if system.television.ping is available
	do
		send infrared "OnkyoTXNR509" "InputGame" delay 12
		send infrared "Samsung_BN59-00861A" "InputHdmi1" delay 10
		send infrared "Samsung_BN59-00861A" "PowerOn"
		send infrared "OnkyoTXNR509" "PwrOn"
	but only if system.television.ping is not available
end

rule "Feestmodus actief"
	on variable.mode.livingroom is "Feest"
	when variable.presence.house is yes
	then
		runrule @turnonxbmcmode
		say "Feestmodus" on alsa.behindtvspeaker
		stop mpd.touchscreen
		set volume to 35% on iscp.onkyo
		set volume to 100% on mpd.touchscreen
		play shoutcast.sctrance "Trance/351954" on xbmcspeaker.livingroom playnow
end

rule "Vertel inkomend gesprek telefoon gijs indien thuis"
	on onx.telephone.gijs.incomingcall != 0
	when
		variable.presence.house is yes
		onx.telephone.gijs.inwifi is available
	then
		stripaction hue.allbulbs.switch 5
		do stripaction jeelink.strip.sleepingroom.rgb 6
		but only if
			( variable.presence.sleepingroom is yes
			variable.mode.sleepingroom is "Normaal" )
		call function @notify '{"msg":"Telefoon van ${value.onx.telephone.gijs.incomingcall.toContactName}","prio":"high"}'
end
Taskchain support
Certain events in the system required a chain of actions to be executed. But sometimes not parallel but sequentally. Or with delays between them.
Created a way of defining a small script which can be executed and will do stuff in the sequence you want it. Created a demonstration script for people
visiting my home (was tired of showing everything, now I just press a button and every "livingroom" mode (party, alarm, ambient) will be shown after each other).

Other things:
- Integrated 5 Philips HUE bulbs in the system.
- More z-wave stuff around the house (mostly the Aeon labs 4-in-1 sensor replacing my home made jeenode room sensors and fibaro door/window sensor).
- Heatmiser thermostat integration (finally no more turning off/on thermostat!).
- Music Player Daemon (MPD) as a speaker target.
- Raspberry PI in the garden running MPD. Says welcome / thanks for the mail on doorbell and mailbox events. Possibility to run music in the garden on a summer verening.
- Raspberry PI in the shed with some webcams for monitoring purposes.
- A separate camera for weather monitoring.
- Timelapse support (select a range of images and combine to movie)
- Smartmeter support (using the same raspberry pi in the metering closet doing the voice modem stuff)
- Transmission support
- Speech recognition and hotwording support (using VoxVoice for hotwording and google speech recognition)
- Movie download support (asks when a movie is ready if the user wants to view it immediately, responding by speech recognition).
- More XBMC support (now running XBMC in the livingroom, sleepingroom and shed).
- New readingset / graph support (define your own graphs by simple code definition).
- Foscam camera support (including movement of a camera).
rbmace2403
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by rbmace2403 »

You should start a company and sell your system ;-) It sounds likes a very high end commercial system :-) Very nice!
airox

Post by airox »

Maybe I will. I'm gradually replacing/moving certain parts closer to a sellable system :-)
Things like the DSL engine is needed for simple rule definition (instead of a clumsy and highly complicated UI from a maintance perspective).
The DSL engine is also far more easier to extend and to add plugins and such.

Currently I'm stabilizing the code and refactoring a lot. Next thing is to add a simple way of defining graphs, devices, speakers, etc. Maybe also a small DSL language for this.

Greetings,

Gijs+

Return to “Home Automation Projects”