hayman
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Toon as a domotica controller?

Post by hayman »

SD123 wrote:
hayman wrote:i'n new hier thanks all for the nice work,
i'm planing to buy Toon is there how to root and this kind of thing ,
is it possible to use there app on the go ....?

i'm planing to enjoy Eneco but without monthly toon subscribe...

thanks all
No, app won't work without subscription.

Ierlandfan pretty much sums it up:
Ierlandfan wrote: ... without subscription, even the basic subscription, Toon is nothing but a very expensive useless Thermostat.
Regarding expensive. I suggest you buy a used one. Not worth 200 euro + for a new one, plus installation is a piece of cake, if you can handle a screwdriver, you can do it. Avoid marktplaats.nl people ask way too much. From time to time usedproducts have them for sale at reasonable price including 1 month warrenty. I got mine for 95 Euro shipped.

thanks for the info i keep checking marktplaats,i'm with Nuon know maby will swtich to Eneco,if they give me every thing for free
SD123
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by SD123 »

marcelr wrote:
I wouldn't call it useless. It's a thermostat, and with a small hack it gives you a lot of information about your energy status, for free. It's not a lot more expensive than a native thermostat for any boiler, with the same level of control flexibility.

marcelr
Well, "useless" mayby exaggerated, but Toon withouth subscription is in fact a very limited thermostat. My previous 16 year old Honeywell chronotherm modulation beats Toon on every level, except the old Honeywell didn't support Opentherm :S.

For example, the old honeywell supported 6 stage daily program instead of 4. I work at home, 4 for me is really too limited as i want a slow raise in temperature during the day. Posibility to turn off pre-heated tap water. And this is quite annoying, it uses 0.2 cubic meter gas each day, this means 72 cubic meters wasted each year.

But I agree, once rooted, posibilities are virtually endless.

Regarding the solar thing. My toon runs FW 3.2.18, not sure if it has support for Toon met Zon, because mine is Vanilla, i do not have the hardware to root it, but i would be happy to sent my Toon your way if you want to check it out.
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

Flashing the rootfs onto toon is easy. Booting toon from it, that's a totally different kettle of fish.
Will keep trying, playing with bootloader, kernel flags, UBI layout, that sort of stuff. If anyone's an expert on UBIfs and flashing boot partitions on NAND flash, please come forward.
Turned out to be a no-brainer:

Just copy the ubifs settings from the quby oe tree to build the image and hey presto! A working ubifs root filesystem. Flashed onto /dev/mtd4 and now it's booting from ubifs.
Final step: flash a (modified) kernel onto /dev/mtd2 and reanimation of my toon is complete.

grtz,

marcelr
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

Up and running again :-) :)

(well, on my kitchen table, not yet connected to the boiler).

grtz,

marcelr
Attachments
modified splash screen
modified splash screen
toon_splash.jpg (121.77 KiB) Viewed 15033 times
software page
software page
toon_sw_version.jpg (132.45 KiB) Viewed 15033 times
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

My toon runs FW 3.2.18, not sure if it has support for Toon met Zon
If you can just check the meter adapter firmware version, that's already something.
Mine has 35/39, and apparently that's the newest. For "toon met zon", I guess the number is different (but I'm not sure).
When "toon met zon" is activated, you should be able to add tiles related to solar energy production (quite a lot of them, actually).

BTW rooting hardware is just a few euros. Find a serial-to-usb adapter with 3.3V signal levels, and preferably with separate female header connectors for GND and TxD/RxD.

grtz,

marcelr
al_n

Post by al_n »

Nice work Marcel on resuscitating this Toon.
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

Good job on getting your Toon back to working order! In the end, did it take JTAG hardware, or were you able to do it with more common tools? In other words, if the same thing happened to my Toon, would I have a chance to restore it too? If so, it would be very nice if you could document what you had to do. No hurry, of course. Whenever you have time.
Schelte
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

Nice work Marcel on resuscitating this Toon
Thanks.
Good job on getting your Toon back to working order! In the end, did it take JTAG hardware, or were you able to do it with more common tools? In other words, if the same thing happened to my Toon, would I have a chance to restore it too?
Thanks one more time.

As long as you have a working boot loader, there's no problem in restoring everything without JTAG hardware.
Basically, if the nand flash chip is not physically broken, the boot loader should remain intact, since toon, once booted up, has no access to it (flash addresses 0x0-0x100000, where the boot loader resides, are not part of the MTD block devices or any other device in /dev).
If the flash is physically broken, you toon's brown bread. Can't revive it then, even with JTAG hardware.

You will need this:

Serial access through the pcb header pins (I think we all have that ;-)).
A computer with a working NFS server, DHCP server and TFTP server, all set up correctly.
A wired router to connect toon and the computer.
A linux kernel image for toon, with "rootfs on NFS" support built in, not as a module.
A working rootfs, with at least the mtd-utils, on the NFS server, and exported to toon.
Optional: a new splash image, to show that you were there ;-).

Most of the work goes into the kernel and rootfs (if you have the required hardware, that is). I got a rootfs dump from one of the forum members, I will post the script that makes this dump later this week.
You will need to drill a sufficient amount of holes in the host computer's firewall, to enable NFS mounts.
Details will follow.

grtz,

marcelr
SD123
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by SD123 »

marcelr wrote:
My toon runs FW 3.2.18, not sure if it has support for Toon met Zon
If you can just check the meter adapter firmware version, that's already something.
Mine has 35/39, and apparently that's the newest. For "toon met zon", I guess the number is different (but I'm not sure).
When "toon met zon" is activated, you should be able to add tiles related to solar energy production (quite a lot of them, actually).

BTW rooting hardware is just a few euros. Find a serial-to-usb adapter with 3.3V signal levels, and preferably with separate female header connectors for GND and TxD/RxD.

grtz,

marcelr
Mine is also 35/39, so i reckon we have the same.

According to this topic (sorry, its in dutch) https://forum.eneco.nl/software-release ... 21012-8810 Toon works with solarpanels as of FW version 2.10.12. Also the meteradapter versions are pretty much the same, 35/39 and 35/38.

I doubt additional software specially for solar panels is needed, simply from software management point of view. FW updates already take a very, very long time, and not always free of bugs when finaly released. They obviously struggle with it already. Best to keep things the same as much as possible.

I think It must be the additional hardware with embedded software.

[edit]
Forget what i wrote. This post https://forum.eneco.nl/algemene-vragen- ... #post95348 talks about FW meteradapter 0.15/0.11.

This post https://forum.eneco.nl/stel-vraag-61/ve ... #post94035 suggests there are different versions.
[/edit]
Last edited by SD123 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

Great. So nothing exotic, just any normal linux computer will do. Along with the right bunch of bytes, that is. :mrgreen:
Schelte
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

Here's the script that dumps the rootfs and all mtd partitions. Unpack, edit destination on your host and user/server according to your needs. Copy onto toon, chmod 755 and run. Depending on your ssh configuration, you may need to type your password up to 7 times while the script runs. Be sure to have the latest dropbear installed, the older version has issues with newer OS'es.

Mind you, dumping flash takes time. Half an hour is quite normal.
I would recommend to run this script, and store the resulting dumps in a safe place. Having the mtd dumps at hand would have saved me a LOT of time with the recovery of my toon.

grtz,

marcelr
Attachments
dump_rootfs.sh.gz
rootfs dumper script.
(939 Bytes) Downloaded 619 times
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

Forget what i wrote. This post https://forum.eneco.nl/algemene-vragen- ... #post95348 talks about FW meteradapter 0.15/0.11.
Just had a look at the firmwares in toon's rootfs:

Among others these:

marcelr~ $ ls -l /tftpboot/toon/rootfs_bare/HCBv2/data/firmware_ma/650014006000/
total 116
-rw-r--r--. 1 1231 513 17380 Mar 24 2015 ma-lpc-011-ota.bin
-rw-r--r--. 1 1231 513 94264 Mar 24 2015 ma-zwave-015-ota.bin

Could be the one. Will take a closer look this weekend, and then try if I can flash that onto the meter adapter (if it really is what we're looking for). The extra hardware is just a DIN-rail kWh meter with an S0 port. Nothing fancy.

EDIT:

Just checked the firmwares. Version numbers are hardware-dependent:

Code: Select all

meter adapter     Firmware
PN:               Z-wave/LPC *)

6500-1100-3301    14/21
6500-1100-3302
6500-1100-3303

6500-1102-0400    35/37  
6500-1102-0401

6500-1200-47xx    35/39
6500-1300-7200

6500-1400-4900    36/43

6500-1400-6000    0.15/0.11
*) : two firmwares reside on the meter adapter: one for the z-wave interface, one for the processor (LPC1313, ARM cortex type processor)

grtz,

marcelr
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

... flash that onto the meter adapter (if it really is what we're looking for).
No, it isn't.

Toon Zon should work out of the box, with the firmwares mentioned in the previous post, and the latest software (3.2.18). It needs S0 pulses on the 3.5 mm jack socket, for electricity. I connected one of the optical sensors, and when kept in the dark properly, and waving a small mirror above it, I managed to get the sensor recognized as a kWh meter for solar power. Wasn't very stable, though, I never lasted much longer than a minute or so. I think signal quality needs to be really good for this to work. We'll see. To be continued ...

grtz,

marcelr
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

Had a go at toon met Zon again.
Now I connected one of the optical sensors to the electricity port of toon (besides the P1 connector), and had the LED part of the other sensor connected to my inverter. Gives a nice blue flash every 1/2000 kWh, which is picked up by the first sensor. Both optical sensors are mounted opposite each other, in their transparent (acrylic) mounting support, with nothing in between, and held together by an elastic rubber band. A scientifically sound set-up, I would say. Toon recognizes the set-up, gives a nice green tick-mark for solar power infusion in its "Energiemeters"-screen for a short period of time, and then falls back into its old routine of not working ...

I see two possible options:

1: Firmware is not correct, it is not able to follow the quick flashing (the green LED next to the connector on the meteradapter burns a lot longer than the flash of the inverter-connected LED takes).

2: signal levels. The optical sensors are read out and only a small margin of signal levels is accepted as valid. For those of you who have an idea about these signals (I don't, yet) the sensors are reflective photosensors, type RPR-220PC30N, with 470nm emitted light wavelength.

If anyone has good ideas, I'm open for any of them.

Then the resuscitation revisited, Schelte asked me to write it up:
In other words, if the same thing happened to my Toon, would I have a chance to restore it too? If so, it would be very nice if you could document what you had to do. No hurry, of course.
That was 10 days ago.

Here's what I did (in a code block, so you don't have to download and unpack a zipped text file):

EDIT: removed, go to the newer post, on april 2, 2016, for an updated version.
http://www.domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.p ... 270#p79224

grtz,

marcelr
Last edited by marcelr on Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

Thank you very much. That sounds like it must have been a tough job to figure out. If it had happened to me before you provided these instructions I would probably have given up about ten times before my Toon would have been resurrected.

Tip: You can also use dnsmasq for both DHCP and TFTP. It's very easy to set up.
Schelte

Return to “Toon Rooting”