Wireless Weightscale from Withings

Forum about Questions, discussions and announcements regarding the Bwired website owned by Pieter Knuvers
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Alexander »

@pieter:

1. Connect a hub (or a switch where you can configure one port as a monitoring port) between the WAN uplink and WAN interface of your router. And connect a pc to this hub. Start wireshark on that pc and let it collect the information.
2. Start wifi on a notebook and run wireshark and hopefully you see packets of the other client (the scale) but this doesn't have to work.
3. What rene suggested
4. Change the DCHP scope for the clients (like for your scale) and change the dns server to one in your network where you can run wireshark on. You will don't see any packets traveling to your WAN, but you will see dns queries that might suggest the dns fdqn host query for the webservice of the scale. It that is the case you can change the dns record in your own dns server and collect the packets (if you service the web part ofcourse)
5. Change the default gateway for your clients (in the DHCP scope or manual config) like for the scale and install a software router on one pc (the default gateway) and run wireshark on that pc.

Alexander
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bwired</i>
<br />Last week I received a WIFI (Wireless 802.11g) demo weight scale from www.withings.com. height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">We've got to have one! Did you receive a promotion code you could share with us to promote this product?

Does this scale weigh (and log) pets as well? We have two kittens growing up and it's not easy to get them on a scale. However, they regularly step on our scale by themselves, but it doesn't turn on by their 2.5kg and if did, nobody is around to make notes.

And finally; Is there any way this scale will offer extra functionality above a regular scale if you're not willing to use their proprietary online portal?
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Alexander »

@Robert: Can't you pick up the kittens and weight them with you and calculate the difference within your domotica software?

Alexander
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

No Dicount code yet.
Starting at about 5 kg (tested)

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">Pieter Knuvers
http://www.bwired.nl <i>Online House in the netherlands. Domotica, Home Automation.</i></font id="size1">
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mgizmo</i>
<br />@Robert: Can't you pick up the kittens and weight them with you and calculate the difference within your domotica software?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Yes, but that wouldn't be true automation, would it? ;-)
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bwired</i>
<br />No Dicount code yet.
Starting at about 5 kg (tested)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
The 'yet' suggests that there will be one in the (near?) future...
I really want one of these, but having no promotion code, with the opportunity presented to enter one, gives me a distinct feeling of paying-too-much, regardless of the price. Since the product is being promoted here, I think a promotion code is in place. Perhaps not publicly posted on the forum, but at least upon request by PM for the most loyal members ;-)
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

It's very quit towards withings, the promised IP notification is still not there and my mails are not being answered?
If I'm in contact again I will ask for a discount.

http://www.bwired.nl <i>Online House in the netherlands. Domotica, Home Automation.</i></font id="size1">
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Update:
Withings promised my IP notification to A url of choice, so this way it would be possible to integrate this Withings WiFi weightscale in your own domoticasystem. I have mailed my contact person several times but no answer anymore.
I guess they don't have the nerve to tell me that it's a NO GO for IP notification!
To bad: another nice closed protocol device....thumbs down for Withings!

Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Withings dropped me a mail today, telling that some kind of notification is still on :-)
They are very busy right now with other things, but they will get back to me.

MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

<br />Withings dropped me a mail today, telling that some kind of notification is still on :-)
They are very busy right now with other things, but they will get back to me.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Too late; We've got ourselves a Wii Fit Plus. 'Can't wait forever, y'know.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Agree!

Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

Can you hook that up to your domotica system then? :)

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

If the IP notification will be realised.... yes
Withings is still planning to something so we can hook up.

Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Wireless Weightscale from Withings

Post by Bwired »

I got a mail form Withings that they made the Notification available in the API as they promised to me :D
So now it very easy to get a real-time a server notification on your own weberver.
So as soon you get your ass on the scale the Wifi Withthis weightscale connects by WiFi to your router and uploads the data to the webserver of Withings, As soon Withing receives the data it can send a notification to a server of choice. In my case the http://www.bwired.nl webserver.
Notification
The most effective way for third parties to retrieve measurements updates is to setup notifications (some might call it "Push") for the users they are interested in. Notifications are handled on a user-per-user basis : each third party application shall subscribe once for every user being monitored, as explained here. Each time the subscribed users weigh-in, add, delete or modify any measurement or objective, the WBS API will send notifications to all their monitoring third parties.
Subscriptions will not be performed if the user has not allowed its profile to be public. A given user can not be subscribed by more than 16 third parties.
When the WBS API sees that subscriber data has been modified, it sends a notification to the subscribing third party application. The notification contains information that helps to determine what should be downloaded to remain in sync.
Notifications subscriptions last 3 weeks and it is the subscriber responsability to renew the subscription when necessary, as explained here. Checking for the existence of a subscription and the retrieval of its expiry date can be performed as shown here.
The subscription can be revoked at anytime, as explained here
For more information about the Withings API check http://beta.withings.com/en/api/bodyscale
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Wireless Weightscale from Withings

Post by MindBender »

Any word on that forum promotional discount yet? If OneDayFly can slice of 20Euro, I expect at least the same for this promotion...

Return to “Bwired Forum”