RFXtrx, Linux, and BASH, C, etc.

Forum about Rfxcom home automation Domotica devices.

Moderator: b_weijenberg

rec9140
Starting Member
Starting Member

RFXtrx, Linux, and BASH, C, etc.

Post by rec9140 »

With the new RFXtrx device... I am curious to know about its support and use in Linux.

I would want to be able to access it via C, BASH, maybe others....

What stops me from going further till I get some clarification is:

"install mono" BZZT! :shock: :evil: :twisted:

Linux users do not install this tainted stuff. If thats only for those test programs fine, I just point minicom to at the port to see it working, but if the SDK and the device rely on its use for access, then I have a problem and most Linux users will have a problem.

So can this device be programmed and accessed without using the tainted mono stuff? via the USB serial device?

My primary goal is to receive Oregon Scientific sensors and add them to a program which right now natively works with WMR100, WRM200, RMS300, RMS600A OS receivers and streams the data.. The project has been dormant for over a year, and I would like to add to it to make it do things like WxU updates, use standard units v. non standard units for readings (done), compile on newer *bunutu (done, this is due to a change in default compiler settings in Debian down).

Thanks.
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: RFXtrx, Linux, and BASH, C, etc.

Post by Digit »

Relax and don't jump to conclusions too fast.
Have you checked the list of Linux based HA software that supports it? Do you really think they all need mono?
There's your answer, YW.
rec9140
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by rec9140 »

I do not use any other software... I will be writing my own to interface directly to the device via C or BASH script.
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b_weijenberg »

You simply receive data packets (as described in the SDK) from a FTDI COM port.

If your bunutu (never heard about it ;) has FTDI support and you have programming skills it should not be a problem.
Last edited by Digit on Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added "not"
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

rec9140 wrote:I do not use any other software... I will be writing my own to interface directly to the device via C or BASH script.
I read that, but that was not my point. I simply answered your question.
ssjoholm
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by ssjoholm »

rec9140 wrote:I do not use any other software... I will be writing my own to interface directly to the device via C or BASH script.
Hi,

Here is a script in Python that access the RFXtrx433, which works on Linux/Mac, it should be fairly easy to convert it to C. The script is still work in progress, but the listening part works pretty good.

You find the source code here;

http://code.google.com/p/rfxcmd/

Regards,
Sebastian
kokki
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by kokki »

I just bought couple of KD101LA .. was trying to extend my home automation system to smoke detectors. But I was very surpised that I did not collect any codes from those detectors by old telldus core .. My system is still for ubuntu but I will change to debian when 7 is out. So my receiver/transceiver is still Tellstick duo. I am using old version of telldus-core because of that I can have device under dev and monitor the serial port .. so I am using tdadmin for background. And because detectors are not working, I decided to order rfxtrx433.. but bit of confused of its abilities in Linux environment. Can I just send/receive data from it from/to /dev/ttyUSBx? I don't need any software to work as daemon? Or should I have some program to work in background? I will have some Oregon/UPM temp sensors, Nexa on/off switches / detectors, some IKEA on/off switches, should they all work smoothly? I read that some problems with UPM-sensors .. if they are faraway... but my sensor is now closer to Tellstick DUO. I have the DUO connected to active USB cable and some extension antenna for better range.
Tellstick DUO, soon with RFXTRX433
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b_weijenberg »

Communication with the RFXtrx433 is direcly from your program to the serial port and there is no need to have a daemon in between.
Request the SDK documentation at RFXCOM support if you like to write your own program.
kokki
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by kokki »

Ok, I was googling rfxtrx and sdk and no good results for that.

Thanks for advices!
kokki
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by kokki »

This device rfxtrx433 is so good! Very nice to read and write just from the ttyUSBx.. compared to my old tellstick duo.

Return to “Rfxcom Receivers & Transmitters Forum”