DomotiGa, Aeon Labs Z-stick and Everspring AN158

Forum about Domotiga Open Source Home Automation for Linux.

Moderator: RDNZL

hetbeest
Starting Member
Starting Member

DomotiGa, Aeon Labs Z-stick and Everspring AN158

Post by hetbeest »

Hi all,

I'd like to start with Home Automation. I've got a Linux server at home switched on all the time. Therefor I'm thinking about using DomotiGa. I'm now wondering which technology and modules to use. Everspring has a new module, the AN158, which switches and measures energy consumption. Knowing my usage is important to me, for in the Netherlands power doesn't come cheap. My question is whether I can use the Aeon Labs Z-stick and Everspring AN158 modules in DomotiGa not only for switching but also for logging my power usage.

Thanks in advance,

Evert
RDNZL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: DomotiGa, Aeon Labs Z-stick and Everspring AN158

Post by RDNZL »

The RequestMeterReportNode and RequesPowerReportNode messages to get the usage values are known to DomotiGa, you can test them from the ZWave Commander in the Tools menu.
If that works, little work has to be done to poll the devices, if they aren't reporting it themselves..

As I don't have an Everspring device I can't test it.
Regards, Ron.
hetbeest
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by hetbeest »

I'll be happy to test it and even help in some development. But I'll have to order the appliances first.
hetbeest
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by hetbeest »

Do you have a driver for the Z-stick for Ubuntu or Debian? The download from the site is for creating RPMs (even that fails).
hetbeest
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by hetbeest »

There was a problem with the stick itself. Now I see the stick and the devices. Switching on works. Switching off is my next challenge :)

EDIT: Challenge met. Switching off works too. So how to poll the usage?
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

I know this is an old post but since today a also have the Everspring AN158 module. The switching using Domotiga is fine but how do i poll for the power usage. I din`t find any howto yet an hope to help other people in this post
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
jrkalf

Post by jrkalf »

raymonvdm wrote:I know this is an old post but since today a also have the Everspring AN158 module. The switching using Domotiga is fine but how do i poll for the power usage. I din`t find any howto yet an hope to help other people in this post
Hi Raymond, in order to use polling, you'll have to install open-zwave. Ron has written a wiki howto on his domotiga page here: http://www.domotiga.nl/projects/domotig ... ve-Wrapper

Download and compile open-zwave. Link the domowrapper to it and install it on your system. Then on the device tab select the open-zwave usage and the poll timer.

Chances are it doesn't work right now because open-zwave developers seem to be a bunch of "ohh-let me just screw over our entire development tree and do it differently" kind of guys. But it seems they'll fix that again soon™.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem!

Fibaro HC2, various z-wave switching, alerting, detection modules.
ELV FHT80b heating system.
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

I already had an issue running with ron for the open-zwave system kill intergration. Because i was using open-zwave in the past. Ron already upgraded Domotiga to fix the open-zwave issues an for now they seem okay. I also asked ron to take the open-zwave source up in his svn to prevent Domotiga users from having issues when using open-zwave

For know im using

DomotiGa Updated to revision 833.
open-zwave Checked out revision 437.

When i check the log i see the following

Code: Select all

2012-02-17 21:43:10:160 Received Meter report from node 11: Power=3W
However the kwh value does not seem to be there
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
jrkalf

Post by jrkalf »

I'm still having issues not receiving status updates from my fibaro when I switch the light using the "manual" switch on the wall.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem!

Fibaro HC2, various z-wave switching, alerting, detection modules.
ELV FHT80b heating system.
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

The open-zwave issues are still there. I also have the problemen dat polling devices by open-zwave is not updating there status on domotiga. I can see that the logfile OZW_Log.txt status device=0 but domotiga still thinks the device is on when it is actuale switched off by hand.

Another problem that i have with the Everpring is this

Look out
 When important devices are hooked up to the AN158, watch our for power failures . Apparently the AN158 does not switch automatically to its previous
 state. In my case it was connected to a freezer; luckily I remembered to manually switch the AN158 on after power was restored.

I would like to know if i can change the default device settings to be alway on with out remove the relay from the device
j.hoekstra

Post by j.hoekstra »

Looking in the manual suggests it's not possible to configure that.
I have the same combination and pressing the button on the devices updates the status in domotiga directly, this seems to be the default configuration in de module.
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

I also recieved an email from Tane that it is not possible to do this using the settings

Warranty void after this line

So i have lookup up my soldering iron an tried to fix it myself. For now the unit is always on but its power reporting seems weird. When nothing attached to the unit the power reading states 20W

So one problem solved an new problem created. But at least i made some pics

Pics

I have removed R9 which is a 2.5mm copper jumper feeding the relay switch and moved the powerfeed from LS to R9 (always on) but it seems like the power measurement circuit is also changed this way. Maybe i just had to get the power from R9 and not cut it. But i wil place a new jumber to get the thing back to normal again

I know for now that this device is not useful for measuring my refrigirator and server because the devices stay of after powerloss so i have to find another device for this. The best solution is a device wich uses coils to measure and can`t cut off power

raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

After rebuilding the module the meter function has really died. Switching is stil possible but i think the power measurement component got to hot when removing / adding the R9 bridge. Because the device was not suitable for me in the first place i now have to look into plugwise equipment (unless there is an always on after powerfail measurement alternative)
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

Since SVN revision 834 of Domotiga it is possible to see the W and KwH reading of the AN158 after recompiling the Z-Wave wrapper
and configuring this as Value 2 and 3

$ cd /home/domotiga/domotiga/
domotiga@system:~/domotiga$ svn up
U    wrappers/domozwave/DomoZWave.cpp
Updated to revision 834.

domotiga@system:~/domotiga$ cd wrappers/domozwave/

domotiga@system:~/domotiga/wrappers/domozwave$ make

domotiga@system:~/domotiga/wrappers/domozwave$ sudo make install

mrqnapper

Post by mrqnapper »

I now have the Aeon Z-stick working with the AN158 device. I can switch the device on and off. Also if I switch on the device itself I see the status changing. So, next step is getting the energy read and have the output in a graph in Domotiga. Now I followed all the steps described in the wiki, in my newly created device I have value 2 and 3 setup for the energy ouput, have the RRD set and ... no energy consumption shown at all?
So I have all the latest revisons, etc. What is the way to get this energy reading going?

Also what's still worrying me, is that the communication between the stick and the device is still not very stable. This morning it seems to be working very well. After a while I could not shwitch the device on or off from within Domotiga? Now the distance between the stick and the device is no more than 1 meter! Is this something related to the AN158 device? Or has this something to do with the system (Ubuntu in a Virtualbox VM on a MacMini Server host)?

Return to “DomotiGa Forum”