USB ZigBee Modem

Forum and Topics about ZigBee devices.

Moderators: Digit, Willem4ever

Esteban
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

USB ZigBee Modem

Post by Esteban »

This looks like an interesting option for controlling some DIY ZigBee projects via Serial port. I wonder if we could easily control Plugwise Circles with this from Homeseer, instead of using the 'Source'?

http://www.controlanything.com/Merchant ... gBeeModems

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Communicating with a Wireless Device does NOT have to be complicated. Our line of ZigBee modems allow first time users to <u><b><font color="purple">communicate with ANY ZigBee device</font id="purple"></b></u>, even if it was not manufactured by us!!!

Here's how it works. Plug the ZigBee Modem into your computer and install the drivers. The ZigBee modem will mount as a COM port on your PC. Next, talk to the COM port as though you were communicating with a RS-232 serial device that is directly connected to your PC. That's all there is to it!!!

ZigBee Modems offer wireless <b>2-way communications</b>, compatible with any ZigBee device or network. This device is Powered by the USB Port. Includes USB Cable and Enclosure. PCB is NOT mounted inside enclosure, Enclosure is not drilled. Please contact us if you have any questions.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Image

-Mounts as a Virtual COM Port
-Plug In, Open the COM Port and Start Sending Commands
-Programmable Baud Rate
-Compatible with All ZigBee Devices
-LED Status Lights Indicate Communication
-USB Powered
-Includes USB Cable
-Includes Enclosure

Ciao,
Esteban
spierie

USB ZigBee Modem

Post by spierie »

Looks interesting, but I think I have read somewhere that the Plugwise products use a proprietary protocol.

Will try to verify where I have read it.

Michel - Domotica newbie....;-)
Esteban
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

USB ZigBee Modem

Post by Esteban »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by spierie</i>
<br />Looks interesting, but I think I have read somewhere that the Plugwise products use a proprietary protocol.

Will try to verify where I have read it.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Yeah that probably is the case, especially regarding all the monitoring data. Switching would have been nice. But even without Plugwise it has me thinking again about doing a ZigBee project... ;)
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: USB ZigBee Modem

Post by Digit »

Since november 19th i have this XStick from Digi:
xstick_resize.png
xstick_resize.png (75.42 KiB) Viewed 9764 times
Combined with FTDI driver you get a COM port, that's all there is to it :)
I've been using this XStick for a week or 2 and it's working as it should.
Post-IT

Post by Post-IT »

Did you integrate it with HomeSeer?

Seems there is no ZigBee integration for HS yet if I search for it...
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

No (, not yet???). Currently I'm busy with code for an interface to my own domotica system. I need to get some experience first with these devices, get it all working before anything else...

Return to “ZigBee Forum”