Motion Sensor

All about Arduino, Jeenode and other Clones (hardware & Software)

Moderator: Mdamen

Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Motion Sensor

Post by Digit »

No, this is not some special add-on for my ASUS TOP.. it's just a Duemilanove with a PIR sensor attached to it:
ASUS TOP powering an Arduino with PIR
ASUS TOP powering an Arduino with PIR
DSC_2898_c_resize.jpg (45.14 KiB) Viewed 7588 times
And the ASUS TOP, which is being used as my Domotica GUI in the living-room, is only used to provide power to the Duemilanove.
Somewhere in October 2009 i bought 2 PIR sensors, but after some brief testing these PIR sensors were stored in a drawer and nothing has been done with them since then. Since i intend to create my own motion sensor someday, i put one of these PIRs on a breadboard and attached it to an unused Arduino. And of course, the most logical place to test this sensor and learn something about how it performs, is the living-room. The office is to small to learn anything about how this sensor behaves with motion from different angles, distances and the output it provides. A breadboard with the Duemilanove, PIR sensor and LED, stuck to the ASUS TOP with tape, seemed like the best compromise for real life testing without making the living-room look like it's an extension of my hobby room. :)

From what I've seen so far, this sensor is sensitive enough to be used successfully, although the digital output is not as stable as i expected. During continuous motion (as in my daughter dancing in front of the PIR for 2 minutes) i still saw the digital output dropping to 0 (meaning no motion) for a large number of short periods. Strange? Well, at least it's not what i expected..

This means i'll have to add some debounce logic into the code that handles this PIR to eliminate unwanted transmissions of these "no motion" events; cause if i don't, i'm pretty sure i can change batteries every couple of weeks... cause that's the goal of all of this; creating my own battery powered motion sensor.
What i'm really looking forward to is putting the sensor in it's own, very small case and place it at the best spot for motion detection and put the rest of the hardware (batteries, JeeNode and wireless stuff) in another box, somewhere nearby but out of sight...
Yes, you can do that if you DIY :D
Mdamen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Motion Sensor

Post by Mdamen »

I like the idea of putting the sensor out of sight, most motion sensors are really ugly.. (MS13A for example.. bleh :-) )
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Another chapter in creating my own motion sensor:
http://blog.hekkers.net/2010/06/13/moti ... ext-stage/

This week I'll be working on the software part; when this is finished, the sensor is ready to use :)
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Alexander »

Digit, why would you not add the pir to the xbee box? I guess because of the size or not?
Alexander
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

You're right.
The small enclosure that holds the PIR will be visible, the rest will be out of sight (behind curtains, under the stairs or whatever i can use).
This means a significant visible size reduction compared to the MS13's :)
Here's a picture that show both MS13 and my PIR enclosure:
http://blog.hekkers.net/2010/06/08/smal ... nclosures/
Harry

Post by Harry »

what do u use for measure light intensity, i notised on your photo.
you display a Lux value, :?:
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

You noticed well! It's being displayed extra large so i can still read it from the bench without glasses :lol:
This is another project I'm working on: measuring light intensity with the so called Lux Plug:
http://News.jeelabs.org/2010/03/21/lux-plug/
My goal is to switch lights in for example the living room at the right lux value when it gets to dark.
Advantage of this sensor is that you get an analog value instead of just "dark" or "light".
This is an ongoing project; when i can tell something meaningful about it, I'm sure a topic will be spent on this Lux Plug :)

Return to “Raspberry, Arduino, Cubietruck and other clones Forum”