McThings: Tiny Wireless Bluetooth Sensors Kickstarter

On this Forum we can discuss interesting Kickstarter like smartthings and gadgets
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

McThings: Tiny Wireless Bluetooth Sensors Kickstarter

Post by Bwired »

I just backed the kickstarter McThings: Tiny Wireless Bluetooth Sensors and Controller. Lots of possibilities to connect to these tiny sensorboards!

McThings are a collection of devices and software that can be used to measure and control anything and connect to the cloud. The main device is a measure and control board, called a McModule, which is a tiny low-power device that communicates wirelessly to the cloud through a McRouter. McModules are designed to be very small, consume minimal power and therefore run for years on a coin cell.

Connecting to the cloud is not mandatory, connecting on IP will be available (api directly to the mcthings Wifi router) and there will no need to poll the device
did not know the about the existents of MQTT. This look like it is made for McThings, but I haven't seen it much in the embedded world. That could be because my main experience is with PAN's like BLE and ANT. I would like to implement it as a standard because that is better on the long term. Anyway what ever solution we choose it will not be polling.

I wouldn't worry about the BLE range. We have designed the BLE with a rather large antenna which should get a good range. If it is a real problem you can always install a second McRouter.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/20 ... -and-contr
mcthings
mcthings
mcthings.gif (236.75 KiB) Viewed 17455 times
wwolkers

Re: McThings: Tiny Wireless Bluetooth Sensors and Controlers

Post by wwolkers »

Looks great!

I've pledged also fo rthe 10pack.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

I have the same mcThings package without the plug :)
lots of options.....
wwolkers

Post by wwolkers »

Open Source!

We have decided to make McThings completely open source! This includes the Hardware, Software and Firmware! All the APIs will be documented and open.

As of right now the PC software has been written in .NET 3.5 with the standard libraries. So we should be fully compatible with the Mono-Project. A big thanks to 'Axel Tripier-Mondancin--Delion' for bringing this to our attention. What does all this mean? It means that a Linux and OSX version can be made available without too much trouble after the initial release.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

getting along very nice the mcthings kickstarter, only 4 days left
here is a technical update
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/20 ... sts/918660

shematic of the router
mcthings.jpg
mcthings.jpg (124.31 KiB) Viewed 16670 times
mrqnapper

Post by mrqnapper »

I'm a backer too! Pledged for the 10 pack also. Let's see what this brings. Seems to be a very nice project. Would be nice if it can be used with Homeseer.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

It has an open api on the mcthings router, so should not be hard to interface with Homeseer
mrqnapper

Re: McThings: Tiny Wireless Bluetooth Sensors Kickstarter

Post by mrqnapper »

Received the Mcthings today. Now find out what to use them for :) It took them a long time getting these things ready. The protective cases are still not ready hopefully they will arrive a bit sooner. On their website/ forum is not yet so much information. Would be nice to use the Mcthings in combination with Hs3. Anyone of you have these Mcthings and want to share some experiences here?

Wiechert
olof

Post by olof »

so it took them only 2 years to get it almost finished? :roll:
Henk_J

Post by Henk_J »

I'm still waiting on my shipment. Took them so long that I almost forgot I participated in this project :)
wwolkers

Post by wwolkers »

Yeah this project has taken too long unfortunately. What I also didn't like is that they removed BLE ble support somewhere half way. I tried getting my money back at that point but they would not refund unfortunately.

Return to “Kickstarter, Indiegogo and other crowdfunding related smartthings”