transform an ip camera to wireless

Forum All about Webcams, IP Camera's & Camera's (hardware, software, pan tilt zoom etc).

Moderator: Esteban

drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

transform an ip camera to wireless

Post by drmacchi »

I'm going to buy an IP camera with ptz (optical 22x) and autotracking feature. It's IP based. I'd like to make it wireless and i found something from d-link (dwl-g810) that promises to transform everything has a lan port to wireless http://www.dlink.it/cs/Satellite?c=Prod ... FDLWrapper

Do you know Any other device , may already tested for that use ?
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: transform an ip camera to wireless

Post by TANE »

You can use almost any Access Point with WDS option.
Enver Tanriverdi | http://blog.tane.nl
drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by drmacchi »

Hi Enver, please could you explain better the fact? what is WDS for? thanks. i know that wds i used to extend the range of the lan using multiple access points, but this is an OUTGOING signal ---> devices . I need an INCOMING signal . Where is my error ?
Last edited by drmacchi on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

With WDS you can extend the existing Wifi network from AP to AP.
When on the Ap wired network is available this can be used to connect wired devices.
There are also some WDS devices on the market without wired connection. This devices are just used for extending the WIFI signal.
I think also the Apple AirTunes can do this..it's very compact. Please check this first I'm not sure about the Ethernet connection of the AirTunes
http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

more About WDS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_D ... ion_System
Enver Tanriverdi | http://blog.tane.nl
drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by drmacchi »

Not sure Airport will work with my router: see little note found in Apple's site "AirPort Express can extend the range only of an AirPort Extreme or AirPort Express wireless network"
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rene »

Until a few weeks ago I used an IP cam connected using a wire to a Linksys WRT54GS which was connected to another WRT54GS using WDS and the second WRT54GS was connected to my wired network. So this concept works, I used it for several years. I used the Tomato firmware in the WRT54GS.
Rene.
drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by drmacchi »

Rene, i must precise my need : i have an IP camera but i want to connect Wireless , NOT WITH CABLE , and IP camera HAS NOT WIRELESS. So i need something to interface with the lan port of the camera that, then will connect to a wireless router.
Grazie ! , Ciao !
lorenzo
j.hoekstra

Post by j.hoekstra »

Rene used the WRT54GS's as a wireless bridge, to connnect the wired IP-camera.
esschenk

Post by esschenk »

Hello Lorenzo,

This is what you need

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/WET54G

Ed
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rene »

Lorenzo, that is exactly what I described.
drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by drmacchi »

Sorry i didn't understand, after 12 hours job............... you are right ! where did you get that firmware?is it some hacking of linksys? thanks, lorenzo
drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by drmacchi »

My reseller has this one, i see WDS feature is it good for my need ? (only 28 euros......)

EDIMAX
EW-7206APg Wireless 802.11b/g Access Point

Features

Entspricht dem Standard IEEE 802.11g/b
Unterstützt die Modi AP, Station, Bridge, WDS und Universal Repeater
Unterstützt die Verschlüsselungen WEP, WPA und WPA2
Unterstützt Radius Server mit EAP-MD5-Berechtigung
Abnehmbare RPSMA-Antenne
Unterstützt Web-Konfiguration und Firmware-Upgrade
Drahtloser IEEE 802.11g/b LAN Access Point
EW-7206APg ist eine Brücke zwischen dem verdrahtetem Ethernet und dem drahtlosen IEEE 802.11g/b-Netz. Mit EW-7206APg können die drahtlosen Clientstationen sowohl auf verdrahtete als auch auf drahtlose Netzwerkknoten zugreifen.

WDS Bridge-Modus (Repeater-Modus)
Die Funktion WDS (Wireless Distributed System) ermöglicht es EW-7206APg, gleichzeitig als ein drahtloser Access Point und als Repeater (mit anderen WDS-Supportgeräten) zu wirken. Die Benutzer können diese Fähigkeit benutzen, um ein drahtloses Netz für einen großen Raum wie Flughäfen, Hotels, Schulen usw. aufzubauen. Diese Fähigkeit ist auch nützlich, wenn Benutzer Netze zwischen Gebäuden überbrücken wollen, wo es unmöglich ist, die Netzwerkkabelverbindungen zwischen diesen Gebäuden zu benutzen.

Universal Repeater Modus
Wenn der Universal Repeater Modus aktiviert ist,g gleichzeitig wie ein drahtloser Access Point und ein AP-Client. Er benutzt die AP-Client-Funktion, um den Anschluss an einen Wurzel-AP (beliebiger AP) herzustellen, und die AP-Funktion, um alle drahtlosen Stationen in seinem Erschließungsgebiet zu bedienen. All diese Stationen im Erschließungsgebiet von EW-7206APg können zum Wurzel-AP überbrückt werden. Der Universal Repeater Modus ist eine sehr bequeme Möglichkeit, das Erfassungsgebiet Ihres drahtlosen Netzes zu erweitern.

Stations-Modus (AP-Client-Modus)
Sie können den EW-7206APg an den Ethernet-Port eines Netzwerkgeräts anschließen und den Stations-Modus aktivieren. Er verwandelt dieses verdrahtete Netzwerkgerät in ein drahtloses, ohne dass eine Konfiguration geändert werden muss.

Robust Wireless Security
Außer den Grundsicherheitseinstellungen wie ESSID und 64/128-Bit WEP-Verschlüsselung unterstützt der EW-7206APg auch die fortgSicherheitsfunktionen wie WPA, WPA2, MAC-Zugangskontrolle und verstecktes ESSID. Mit weiteren Adaptern von Edimax bieten wir eine Gesamtlösung, um ein sicheres drahtloses Netzwerk aufzubauen, damit das Eindringen jeglicher Hacker verhindert wird.

Abnehmbare RP-SMA-Antenne
EW-7206APg bietet einen Standardanschluss für eine RP-SMA-Antenne. Sie können jede RP-SMA-Antenne mit hoher Verstärkung anschließen, um das Erschließungsgebiet des drahtlosen LAN zu erweitern und die Leistung zu verbessern.

Web-Konfiguration
Sie können diesen Access Point mit einem Browser über die feundliche Web-Benutzerschnittstelle konfigurieren.
drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by drmacchi »

english is better than german (maybe)

http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_detail ... 1&pl2_id=5
Noel

Post by Noel »

drmacchi wrote:english is better than german (maybe)

http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_detail ... 1&pl2_id=5
Just a small update.

I've bought two of the "EW-7206APg", and they work great in WDS mode.

This is really a cheap way of making IP things WiFi accessible :-)
--
Maak nu je eigen video bericht online.
Anyone interested in time travel meet me here last Thursday!!
ıɟ ʇ,uɐɔ noʎ buıɥʇʎuɐ ʇɹɐʇs ɹǝʌǝu
Herbus

Post by Herbus »

Great!

I was a few days away from digging up the garden to make a wired connection between the main house and the garage. This seems to be the perfect solution for me.

Two questions:
I want to install two wired IP camera's around the garage. Both are connected to a simple switch/hub. Is it possible to connect the switch to the first EW-7206APg (in stead of a CAT5 cable from my router) and connect a second EW-7206APg to my router?

My wireless router is in the basement. There are places (top floor, back garden) that I lose the wifi signal on my wireless devices (iPhone, laptop etc...). Is the WDS also usefull to extend the wifi range?

Tnx
Herbus (Jos)

Return to “Webcams & Camera Stuff Forum”