Autologon Multi User Windows XP

Pop your questions regarding Home automation software here.....
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

This is what I'm looking for.

When my HS system starts.
User 1
-Autlogon user 1
-Start Homeseer
-Start PlugWise
-Start Irtrans server
-Lock screen

User2
-Autologon user 2
-Start HSTouch

Any idea how to do that?

Did not found any solution...only that this is on he todo list of the http://www.logonexpert.com/
Edwin2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Edwin2008 »

If you have mutiple users on a computer but would like to logon with one at startup you can use tweakui (part of microsoft powertools)
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

Edwin,
I'm using tweakui..that will work for the first user not the second one.
Mdamen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Mdamen »

What OS are you running?
From what I read I believe it's either server 2008 or Windows Vista.

What you could do (i think) is this (untested):

Autologon as user 2 (use this instruction: http://www.onetipaday.com/2007/05/27/ho ... ith-vista/)

Then use srvany (http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=197) to have all the software you mentioned to run as service. Then set the checkbox "allow interaction with desktop" and run the service as user1. This way when you logon as user1 you still see the status of all your applications.

Btw.. you have to delay startup of hstouch using some script. Because the services take some time to start up.

--
Maarten Damen

www.maartendamen.com
Lennart

Post by Lennart »

Hi Maarten,

Thanks for your reply. I'm looking for the same startup scenario as Chak. I tried your suggestion on Vista Ultimate, but no luck. When I start HS2 as a service in this way, I get a dialog box that says that the service was started and stopped again.

Running HS2 as a service using the menu item offered by HS for this functionality does start HS, but as I understood, it's not as stable as running it as a normal program.

Furthermore, "allow interaction with desktop" is only an option when running the service as "local system account", not for a random user1 in general.

I'm afraid we can only automate the scenario for user1 at this moment and then have to logon to user2 manually...

Lennart
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

I'm using Windows XP pro
For delayed startup I'm using BL startup this works great.
Edwin2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Edwin2008 »

Aha misread first post. You want to use fast user switch. Sorry no solution i know.
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Alexander »

Enver,

That isn't possible. What is possible is using the runas feature within Windows. Why would you like to use 2 users on one machine? Why not running HSTouch on user 1 or is security the answer to my question?
Lennart

Post by Lennart »

@mgizmo: Enver and I would both like to run HSTouch on a touchscreen that is directly connected to the Homeseer server. However, we don't want to have touchscreen users have admin access to the Homeseer server. So yes, security (or more damage control) is indeed the answer. Also: if we connect to the Homeseer server as admin through RDP, we don't want the touchscreen to lose its session, for which we have already tweaked XP/Vista to allow multiple concurrent user sessions. Runas does not place the interactive windows on the desktop of the "runas"-user, as we would like (so, on login as admin, we would like to have the Homeseer, Plugwise, Belkin, etc. windows available in that session).

Lennart
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Alexander »

That can't be done on the same console. You can use the runas command to start the homeseer, plugwise server under a normal user account, but you do have the gui running on the console (where the user is running its hstouch interface). Why don't you run those application as services? Or do you want to access the gui of those? There is software to create multiple desktops. They just hide does gui's. Maybe there is one that has a security feature (password protect).

Other solution is to install VMWare server and install a XP + Homeseer + Plugwise + etc on it and start the VM as a service on the host (where you will use hstouch).

The auto logon functionality is a GINA feature of Windows. If you would activate fast user switching, GINA is gone and the feature will not work. So the TweakUI is no good.
Tozz

Re: Autologon Multi User Windows XP

Post by Tozz »

I'm not that much of a Windows expert, but maybe you can run a .RDP file which logons on to your server (localhost) using the credentials supplied in the .RDP file. Then you could make some little script that checks from which host the RDP connection is coming from. If its localhost you can disconnect the RDP session using "qwinsta.exe"
Ruud
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Ruud »

Ruud (rualblas)
gjelsvik
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by gjelsvik »

What about a Autohotkey script that starts when user1 is logged in.

Autohotkey let you script events like mouse/keyboard input.

Shouldnt need many lines to send the key combinations for bringin up startmenu. click "switch user", click username and type pw, hit enter.

Return to “Questions & Discussions Forum”