Alaxa Water meter

Forum about 1-Wire devices.
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Alaxa Water meter

Post by Digit »

I really wouldn't know...

I'm using a DS9097U-S09 serial adapter from Dallas to talk to the DS2423 <--> TMEX API <--> Delphi.

I have 2 of those adapters, so if you think it could help you, you can get one from me and try it to see if this will give better results? (don't know how you are interfacing with the DS2423 right now, so maybe this adapter won't help you at all, but i'm just trying to help...)

Robert
Kroonen

Alaxa Water meter

Post by Kroonen »

I first gonna try with different power supply, and put pin 5 gnd form rs232 to the chassis of rs232. If that doesn't work, i'd like to try it with your connector
Kroonen

Alaxa Water meter

Post by Kroonen »

Well the problem is solved, i took a power form an 230V adapter to usb (5v) and that worked.

Now is have a next question, how do i create a database for it in mysql. so i need to put the time in it, and ofcourse the counter, so i can later make graphs. I will post this as new topic in linux, thats the os I need it to create
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Alaxa Water meter

Post by Digit »

Nice, very nice. Congratulations and on to the next challenge i see..[8D]
Lennart

Alaxa Water meter

Post by Lennart »

A question for the Alaxa water meter users among us:

What size did you buy and where did you put them into the water supply?

I noticed that the main water supply into our house has a 22 mm diameter. Our boiler also has a 22 mm connection. I was planning to put an Alaxa meter in the main cold water supply and one in the boiler output (or input, as that would have the same effect as far as I know), to measure both cold and hot water usage. However, the 3/4" Alaxa meters are 1 pulse/liter and the 1" Alaxa meters have even less resolution: 1 pulse/10 liter (as opposed to the smaller diameter versions with 1 pulse/0.5 liter).

My main concern would be that the smaller diameters in the main supply would limit the flow too much. Any comments on that?

Thanks!

Lennart
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Alaxa Water meter

Post by Digit »

I have 2 * 3/4" Alaxa water meters.

1 is right after the "official" water meter, 1 is at the central heating at the boiler output. No problems with flow drop with these meters. Our water supply is 22 mm, boiler output = 15.

Here some pictures:
http://www.hekkers.net/test/Water_Behind.aspx

I don't think you have to worry about losing flow with these.

Robert
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Alaxa Water meter

Post by Bwired »

I can see you did the plumbing yourself :-)
The same with me!
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Alaxa Water meter

Post by Digit »

Yep..
Well, plumbing is just like riding a bike i guess.
Although the plumbing at the vertically mounted water meter wasn't that easy, i was working with a gas meter only 10-15 cm. behind it...[8D]
Lennart

Alaxa Water meter

Post by Lennart »

Thanks Digit, for the info! I ordered two 3/4" Alaxa pulse water meters for connecting to our 22mm hot and cold watersupply. I guess the 3/4" version has the right balance between not limiting the flow too much and still having enough resolution at 1 pulse per liter.

Ah, sigh, such a short holiday and so many toys to install ;-).

Lennart
Kroonen

Alaxa Water meter

Post by Kroonen »

Well it is working see at http://www.kroonen.eu than select waterverbruik.
Only sometimes it counts one up while no water is used. I have seen a thread from digit, how had the same. Is there a possible something like an condensator or elco to be placed? I think it is noise?? I already place a small conenstation 22nf on the input of the ds2423 but didnt help.

any other ideas?
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Alaxa Water meter

Post by Bwired »

Congratulations Kroon!
Nice project, one remark about the graph. Looks like you are consuming water every hour?
Or is that just the way the bars are presented, even a little blue while there is no usage.
Regards Pieter
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Alaxa Water meter

Post by Digit »

In my case i had problems with the gas meter, where the DS2423 went nuts from time to time. The power adapter was the cause; it was not fitted firmly enough in the 220V socket, so the power supply was not good. It's just a very simple 5V power supply, i found in a box where i collect all power supply's that are not used anymore (from old hubs, scanners, phones, etc. etc.) I just picked one with the right voltage.

In a PM you mention you don't believe there's water usage. First of all, make absolutely sure there isn't ... Write down the meter values and compare them to the 1-Wire counter. Only then you can be sure there are no false readings.

Second, how about pressure fluctuations? If your in-house water net has enough volume (big house, large pipe diameters), a pressure fluctuation can look like water usage.
A pressure drop would mean water flowing back out of your net, but it will NOT be registered as negative water usage but positive. It should be possible to calculate flow caused by pressure drop if you can estimate the volume of your in-house water net, but please don't ask me... that's to long ago ;-)

BTW, do these false readings occur every night?

That's all i can say about it for now...

Robert.
Kroonen

Alaxa Water meter

Post by Kroonen »

I will post the value of my watermeter, and of the ds2423 counter, so I can check if the are in 'sync'

water meter: 17210630 (from delta water)
ds2423 counter : 36266173

Richard
Kroonen

Alaxa Water meter

Post by Kroonen »

Well here it is..

watermeter old: 17210630
watermeter now: 17213838

difference = 3208/10 = 321 Liter

Counter ds2423 old: 36266173
counter ds2423 new: 36266856

difference = 683/2 = 341,5 Liter

So I have a difference of : 341,5 - 321 = 20,5 Liter
If anybody has ideas how it comes, I have a house from 1960, and i have 15mm water inside, and after the watermeter from de watercompany I have that alaxa watermeter.

The only thing I can do yet is put my 1-wire adapter directly on my port, cause now it is on serial with usb to serial
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Alaxa Water meter

Post by Bwired »

How can you read your old watermeter that accurate? I not that easy to see.
I just look once in a while if the general count is still good. So I look at the old water meter and its telling me for example
395m3 then I look at my recorded data from the 1-wire and that is telling 395,345.... etc after years of monitoring the m3 digits (count) are still the equal. Can you put some pictures of your meters here.
Regards Pieter

Return to “1-Wire Forum”