Plugwise in the News "Plugwise slaat stiekem data op"

Plugwise Forum about Plugwise devices and the Source software.
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Plugwise placed an article on their website:

All i can say is that one of the reporters said to me, after talking to me and with Plugwise afterward: "Dit kan niet!" ; "This can't be true!".

Let's see how Plugwise continues playing with words...[:D]
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

From Trouw, 09-05-2009:

<b>Plugwise stroommeter slaat stiekem data op:</b>

Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Hier het artikel van gisteren in het Parool:
<b>Plugwise registreert verbruik klanten</b>

Reinder

Post by Reinder »

Great article. Great product!

Nothing to worry about.
jheerink

Post by jheerink »

I think some people are a little too paranoia. i couldn,t care less if they use my data. If the system by using the data for other purposes get's less expensive (or you could say cheaper) that's fine with me. I,am still happy and think it's a great system. (and i do not work for,or have any other relationship, exept customer, with plugwise)
r_255
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by r_255 »

Sorry Reinder,but i I really like to know how and why video and audio could be uploaded to your server.
As you state in the user agreement that plugwise has the right to sell uploaded data, including pictures, audio and video.
This was about collecting verbruiksdata right ?

@jheerink, this has nothing to do with paranoia... If it was, it would not be in their user agreement!
Enjoy your plugwise modules and dont forget to smile to your cams! Reinder might be watching ;P
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Paranoia is a thought process characterized by excessive anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and delusion.
If simply telling the plain truth falls into that category, there must be something wrong. But not with those who are only telling the facts as they are.
jheerink

Post by jheerink »

r255 ,digit, you are right off course.

Personally i don,t mind that they collect my/our data (it,s not even my data i work for a school) but i agree that plugwise at least untill just recently did not clearly stated that it used the data. As their business model is based on earning money on the gathered data that point should be more clearly have been made on their website.
Still i think the system is relatively cheap compared to other systems, and if that can be maintained by using de-privatized data of the users thats fine with me.
yjb

Post by yjb »

As far as I'm concerned this whole issue is just the result of poor marketing / product positioning.

If the whole release process of the Plugwise product was assed upfront, the company (at least the techies) should have know that especially the earlier adaptors of the product would be smart enough to sort out that the software was secretly uploading data. If this was documented upfront, nobody was probably going to make a fuzz about it. The fact that this was not disclosed is the main reason for the frustration since it gives the end user the reason to think "what is next"

To move forward I would recommend something like this:
During the installation the end-user can install the product (even without internet access) and gets a full functional product as is
Beyond that the user will have 2 choices:
- Buy a maintenance contract for a fixed amount / year that allows for free updates and support
OR
- Share utilization data with Plugwise which entitles the user for a free of charge maintenance contract (sponsored maintenance contract).

If the user decides to share utilization data with Plugwise, they should have the option to review what has been submitted to Plugwise. There should be also a process in place that enables the end-user to remove utilization data from the central servers (with implicit loss of the free of charge maintenance contract of course).

Bottom-line is that user of whatever product should have a choice, and that they should be able to make an educated decision. History has learned most of us that we were not able to make an educated decision (to buy or not to buy) and thats where the frustration comes from.

Just to be clear, Im not associated by any means with Plugwise, Im not getting any perks or whatsoever for this message. I just felt that I needed to give some hints based on my own experience when positioning new products in a (corporate) environment.
r_255
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by r_255 »

I fully agree on the history thing, except that most of us have learned something from it.
To me this is a good example that history repeats it self and most people will never learn.

Return to “Plugwise Forum”