Windows Mobile Cell Phone With HSDPA (3G+)

Forum about Questions, discussions and announcements regarding the Bwired website owned by Pieter Knuvers
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Hi all,
This week I got my new PDA Cell Phone with a KPN flat fee full UMTS/HSDPA internet package. The speed I realize is really amazing. I have now a download of 1.8 Mbit/s and upload van 384 kbit/s.
Controlling my home and browsing on my PDA page http://mobile.bwired.nl goes really fast. Windows Mobile has some advantages for me as being a Microsoft fan. For example I have a little program now which upload an image from the camera directly after it is taken. I just have to take the picture and the 200/300KB is within seconds on my own webserver without having to push any extra buttons. The PDA phone I have is the Samsung I600 until now on of the few Cell Phones which can handle HSDPA.

HSDPA, short for High-Speed Downlink Packet Access, is a new protocol for mobile telephone data transmission. It is known as a 3.5G (G stands for generation) technology. Essentially, the standard will provide download speeds on a mobile phone equivalent to an ADSL (Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line) line.

Pieter Knuvers
www.bwired.nl Online House in the netherlands. Domotica, Home Automation.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

Flat fee? No limit? Better check that again, because they advertise it with vodafone too "zorgeloos internet, zoveel je wilt" but if you read the fine print its still 50mb's. I'am up for a new phone aswell, but i'am with vodafone which is bad luck for me. They do have hsdpa but with the 50mb limit. T-mobile, web and walk also has fat fee but your then limited to gprs speed (even though you have hsdpa)

p.s. read http://kpnmobile.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/k ... _topview=1

Dont know if they fixed it yet, it basicly says your not reachable if you use hsdpa.

p.p.s i found it now.

Internet Go 1,8Mbit 384Kbit €10,00 0 €0,5/MB
Flat Fee Lite 128Kbit 64Kbit €34,95 200MB €0,25/MB
Flat Fee Comfort 786Kbit 384Kbit €49,95 1GB €0,25/MB
Flat Fee 1,8Mbit 384Kbit €79,95 2GB €0,25/MB

So you have 2gb.. which is not unlimited. Which is still dull in my eyes.

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Hi Erik,

You forgot to mention that all the extra data you use above the 2gb is "fair use policy" see http://www.kpn.com/kpn/show/id=1287664/sc=930464 I use A lot of data, my employer is paying for this subs subscription [8D]
I don't know if they fixed that error, I think they did because I have running programs in the background which use the internet and I get a lot of call during the day.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

Well i'am a bit jumpy about the fair use policy though, but you work at kpn too. So i think you have a bit more "leverage" then the average person.

I checked the vodafone page again, it seems they change there text "zorgeloos internet, zoveel je wilt" to "Zorgeloos Mobiel Internet" seems they where getting to much complaints i think.

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Right, you have to sure about the policies and also are they changing a lot. BTW: I also have a HSDPA Flat Fee PCMCIA KPN Mobile Internet Card type 712. This card has a separate SIM with a different number which can only be used for data, so no incoming calls are possible. I'm going to use this card mainly for my Carpc (Carputer) for RSS podcast, internet and tracking and tracing with googlemaps realtime on Bwired. Time is killing me [8)]

Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

You Erik,
I have to come back on the HSDPA thing, did some inquiries and the problem is still there!
I also did some extra testing and when I am on HSDPA I can not receive phone calls :-)
This is really very annoying because I can't set the phone to UMTS only and I can't run programs in the background that need internet.
Why is KPN switching HSDPA on, better to wait until it's working the right way. Let's hope they solve it in a short while!
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

You pieter,

With that new stuff there is always something lurking around. t-mobile does 1.8mbit though, but it costs about 70/80 euro's a month. Dont know if you have the same issues. 50 i would do it. 70/80 is still a bit much. I allready have 200 euro's a month (though i have 1 umts card + 3 phones) hehe

// Erik (binkey.nl)

Return to “Bwired Forum”