FHT80b in the bathroom?

Forum about the home automation suites by ELV etc

Moderator: jrkalf

jrkalf

FHT80b in the bathroom?

Post by jrkalf »

Hi guys,

just wondering about this one. As I'm setting up my FHT80b network right now. I also have a radiator in the bathroom. Currently fitted with a thermal radiator valve. Is it wise to change this one to a FHT80b setup as well?

If so, is the FHT80b equiped against the humid area of the bathroom?
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem!

Fibaro HC2, various z-wave switching, alerting, detection modules.
ELV FHT80b heating system.
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: FHT80b in the bathroom?

Post by Digit »

What do the docs say about operating values regarding humidity?
Or think the other way: add humidity control to your bathroom!
A humidity sensor and taking control over the ventilation could be a way to not even have to worry about it :D
jrkalf

Post by jrkalf »

Digit wrote:What do the docs say about operating values regarding humidity?
Or think the other way: add humidity control to your bathroom!
A humidity sensor and taking control over the ventilation could be a way to not even have to worry about it :D
There's a double thing in that:
Yes, you can.. I've read up on FS20 LES devices I think it was that use humidity control to turn on a switch (which you can hook up to the house ventilation system).

second: Wife says no!
I don't want ventilation turned on when I'm showering or in bath, it makes it freakishly cold/drafty. She doesn't like me if I do that.

richard naninck

Post by richard naninck »

Got one of those devices and was disappointed about it. I guess I had mistaken the unit for another one (not from Conrad). I wanted a unit that measured humidity and transmitted the humidity values to the PC. Sensors like that do exist but not @ Conrad. Mine just takes an upper and lower humidity value and can send on/off messages to a certain housevode/devicecode when the highs or lows are reached. Too bad.. Good thing there are many other ways to get humid values going.

As for a FHT in the bathroom: That's probably the only room I don't have one setup since I always take a shower with the windows open and the temperature drop in the winter would account for messed values. Also when taking a shower with the windows closed, I guess the room gets warm and the FHT would lower the radiator output. Not of much use I guess when taking the shower into account. However it would be nice to lead turn the temp in the bathroom before getting up in the morging and an FHT could do just that (even stand alone).
jrkalf

Post by jrkalf »

Perhaps this is what you're looking for Richard: FS20 LES or the Dutch/English google translated version.

CUL/CUNO users in combination with a CULFW written by the FHEM developers could go for a s555th sensor which costs about 8 euro's (@ conrad). Yet they don't trigger anything, you'd have to have a PC gathering the information and sending the trigger to a ventilation system.

As for me, we have those "nieuwbouw" in-house ventilation systems that I could target with FS20. Except for the wife not being happy to have that noisy thing turned on while bathing or showering. Same counts for the fact that it creates a draft in the bathroom. Opening a window would be an option, but like you've stated it would mess up the temperature control.

Hence I'm trying to find out if I can use the fht80b in the bathroom under normal bathroom situations or not.

richard naninck

Yep, the FS20LES is what I should have had. I bought the FS20HGS thinking it was the same thing but in a Conrad housing.
KidE

Post by KidE »

jrkalf wrote:Hi guys,

just wondering about this one. As I'm setting up my FHT80b network right now. I also have a radiator in the bathroom. Currently fitted with a thermal radiator valve. Is it wise to change this one to a FHT80b setup as well?

If so, is the FHT80b equiped against the humid area of the bathroom?
I took both units apart due to some battery connection problem and i would NOT advise to place these units in a Humid environment. The PCB(s) are not sealed with a resin and all Mechanical components have holes which could attract corrosion.

What you could do is seal the actuator + pipes with a plactic bag and cover the entire radiator with a radiator cover which is a bit larger as the radiator itself so it covers the acuator.

For the FHT80b unit you have the option to place the unit outside the bathroom and extend the PTCorNTC with a wire so it goes through the wall into the bathroom.
richard naninck

richard naninck wrote:Yep, the FS20LES is what I should have had. I bought the FS20HGS thinking it was the same thing but in a Conrad housing.

After some reading I saw that the FS20LES still wasn't the right unit for my needs. I needed the HMS 100 TF. Temperature and Moisture levels are transmitted to the FHZ1300PC with a known protocol.

81 0e 04 __ 05 10 a0 01 HH HH 00 00 ss tt gu ff // Temp = (utt*0.04) Feuchte = (ffg*100/4096)
// Status bit7=Negative Temp. bit6=Batterie
jrkalf

Post by jrkalf »

ok, yeah.. you use a FHZ1300pc. I'm currently switching from the FHZ1000pc towards a cuno (The unit is in shipping right now). Then I'll probably skip the hms100tf and go for the s555th as it's about 20eur cheaper then the hms device.

Thanks for the tip btw, I might do that.. as I can control the fht8v valve directly from the cuno as well. I think the other Richard (Kroonen) had already tipped me off on that.

richard naninck

Pretty sure the FHZ1300PC cannot control the valves directly, but as I understand from you the CUNO can control the valves directly. Wouldn't actually know why you couldn't because it's on the same freq but the protocol is unknow and the FHZ / FHT don't show the valves data. The question is more like if you would want to control the valve directly. The FHT does a very nice job on controlling the valves and I don't know if I could beat that with own written code without chasing temperatures.

The 555 is only 5 Euro's. Would be nice if the FHZ could read those devices, but probably not.. Please let me know if you have different info.
jrkalf

Post by jrkalf »

richard naninck wrote:Pretty sure the FHZ1300PC cannot control the valves directly, but as I understand from you the CUNO can control the valves directly. Wouldn't actually know why you couldn't because it's on the same freq but the protocol is unknow and the FHZ / FHT don't show the valves data. The question is more like if you would want to control the valve directly. The FHT does a very nice job on controlling the valves and I don't know if I could beat that with own written code without chasing temperatures.

The 555 is only 5 Euro's. Would be nice if the FHZ could read those devices, but probably not.. Please let me know if you have different info.
For the code, I don't worry too much about it. It's mostly baked into FHEM as well from what I've read. I don't need to do any very special coding to control it. I just prefer to NOT do that for the majority of the house. I want it to be controlled by FHT's mostly in case of a computer crash, or when the time should arrive where I sell the house including the fht devices. (not likely very soon)

From the documentation I've compiled so far and real life experience from Kroonen (forums dude), it's not possible to control the s555th directly from fhz but he does control it directly from cul/cuno.

Where did you find a s555th device for 5 euro's? 2,99 cheaper then conrad.nl, I'm interested ;)

richard naninck

conrad.de

I can't find the hms devices at conrad.nl nor at conrad.de but elv sells them.

I also prefer the FHT's because they operate stand alone as well as controlled by the FHZ. I don't think you can control the 555. It probably only puts out data..
jrkalf

Post by jrkalf »

Correct, it's a sensor transmitting data. so you use the sensory data from the s555th to evaluate whether or not you need to heat up the room.

pbrand

Post by pbrand »

KidE wrote: I took both units apart due to some battery connection problem and i would NOT advise to place these units in a Humid environment. The PCB(s) are not sealed with a resin and all Mechanical components have holes which could attract corrosion.
It's a pity that the FHT80b unit is not sealed (enough). I use them in every room in the house, including the bathroom. They are operating for 1,5 years now without failure. But I guess I can expect the unit in the Bathroom to fail on me in the future :D Ah well, the units are cheap. And perhaps, if it fails, I will switch to Danfoss Zwave stuff.

Return to “Homematic, FS20, FHT, ESA and ELV”