Forum and Topics about Z-Wave devices.
qbic2005
Starting Member
Starting Member

First Z-Wave modules - what to buy

Post by qbic2005 »

Hi guys, girls

I'd like to buy my first Z-Wave modules. Some quick questions though:

- should I expect any interoperability issues if I mix different makes ? If yes what should I look for?
- what can I expect in terms of response times when switching multiple modules ? Compared to my old X-10 was one every 2-3sec practical max!
- are the Fibaro modules any good / value / quality ?
- does a physical store, preferably with show-/demoroom, for these devices exist in Belgium/Netherlands ?

Main purpose is light and blinds control, I 'd like to start with Fibaro modules.
But they don't have all the module models to suit my needs, so I'll need to mix them with other makes.

Thx
Henk_J

Re: First Z-Wave modules - what to buy

Post by Henk_J »

I can confirm Fibaro modules are the best buy at the moment in my opinion. I'm using about 30 modules already for a long time. Also using other brands but Fibaro is still my preferred brand.
Zwave is based on standards so you would expect every module will work with every management software. Keep on dreaming that's not real life.

Research before you buy is the best advise I can give. Every software solution will have problems with certain hardware modules and that's also the reason I think zwave will slowly pass away in the future. If you think of the 'Internet of Things' based on zwave then we will have a real nightmare.. :-)

If you're good in software go for Homeseer or open source. If not, stick to the out of the box solutions like Fibaro HC, Vera or Zippato. What ever you will choose be sure you will have enough spare time to spend it on HA. :D
bartbakels
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: First Z-Wave modules - what to buy

Post by bartbakels »

I totally agree with henk.

Regards

Bart
Software: HS3, HStouch, Plugwise , BLBackup, BLLatestImage, Zwave, JowiHUE, PHlocation, Netcam, Harmony Plugin, ThinkingCleaner, HSPhone, Eneco Toon Script, Pushover, Visonic Powermax LV Interface

(ON ESXI )on NUC

Return to “Z-Wave Forum”