Software framework for controlling metering devices

Introduce home automation related software here.....
heow
Starting Member
Starting Member

Software framework for controlling metering devices

Post by heow »

Hello all,
I'm curious to know what you would think of an open-source software framework that you could run on your personal computer and centrally control all metering devices. It's all written in Python, and you would consider each of the metering devices as part of a service plugin that the 'central' application is aware of (and even discovers dynamically.) In a sense, you could have different kinds of meters (types, brands) and they could be controlled from a central station in your house. If needed, you could extend the framework to include rule engines to automate some common actions. And because the whole thing is built for component plugins, you could consider adding alert mechanisms over IP or GSM networks for yourself. And you can easily include a generation source as a plugin as well, which means you could do a sort-of demand-response in your own homes/facilities.

That was a brief description of what I'm working on right now. I've got a skeleton framework going, I have a GSM modem controller ready, I've written plugins for a couple of off-the-shelf meters and see it all working together. Now I'm curious if there are hobbyists out there who think this might be useful for them for me to release. The complexity of writing plugins, I feel, is minimal and I can provide the API's and the examples I've been working on.

What does the community think? Useful? Anything you see of value for trying it out yourself, or see added in the mix?

Thanks.
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rene »

Have a look at HouseAgent its a framework using plugins and written in Python.
heow
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Software framework for controlling metering devices

Post by heow »

Thanks so much for pointing out House Agent, Rene. The solution I'm proposing is also based on python-twisted - how ironic, but it's a great platform for this kind of project!
Good to know there are others with similar intentions and solutions. I'll take a look at House Agent and see what it does.
xanhoera

Post by xanhoera »

Definately interesting, originally I was planning to interface my power usage to Google Power Meter, so looking for (free, even no-cloud) alternatives now.
All kinds of metering, from persons length and weight :) to power, water and gas?
Mdamen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Mdamen »

Did you get a chance to look at HouseAgent? We could really use some more experienced developers!
I would love to join forces..

Return to “Announcements & News”