Rooting Toon (or boxx)

Everything about rooting Toons 1 and 2.

Moderator: marcelr

Re: Rooting Toon (or boxx)

Postby Toonz » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:28 am

mAiden wrote:Other error i got..
Inittab is fixed, thanks guys!

Code: Select all
INIT: Id "qtqt" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

Looks like the install wasn't completed. You could try to run the update script from TheHogNL again, forcing a reinstall of version 4.18.8.
New resource file is available so should work...
Toonz
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 716
Joined: December 2016

Re: Rooting Toon (or boxx)

Postby mAiden » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:41 am

Toonz wrote:
mAiden wrote:Other error i got..
Inittab is fixed, thanks guys!

Code: Select all
INIT: Id "qtqt" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

Looks like the install wasn't completed. You could try to run the update script from TheHogNL again, forcing a reinstall of version 4.18.8.
New resource file is available so should work...


Hi Toonz,

This is what i got, when i try it:

Code: Select all
2018-07-25 08:38:42 (1.21 MB/s) - `update-rooted.sh' saved [19684/19684]

eneco-001-xxxxxx:~# sh update-rooted.sh -f 4.18.8
===================================================================================================================================================================
Welcome to the rooted Toon upgrade script. This script will try to upgrade your Toon using your original connection with Eneco. It will start the VPN if necessary.
Please be advised that running this script is at your own risk!

Version: 2.94  - ThehogNL - 19-7-2018

===================================================================================================================================================================

Only fixing files.
FIXING: Downloading resources.rcc TSC mod for this version 4.18.8.
FIXING: Now installing latest toonstore app. This fixes some files also.
Downloading http://files.domoticaforum.eu/uploads/Toon/apps//toonstore-1.1.4/toonstore_1.1.4-r0_qb2.ipk.
Package toonstore (1.1.5-r0) installed in root is up to date.
FIXING: Now installing latest busybox mod. This is necessary to enable console output again which is disabled in 4.10 by Eneco.
sh: 4: unknown operand
sh: 4: unknown operand
Custom busybox install not necessary for this firmware.
eneco-001-xxxxxx:~#


Other trys:

Code: Select all
eneco-001-xxxx:~# ./update-rooted.sh -f 4.18.8
-sh: ./update-rooted.sh: Permission denied
eneco-001-xxxx:~# chmod -x update-rooted.sh
eneco-001-xxxx:~# ./update-rooted.sh -f 4.18.8
-sh: ./update-rooted.sh: Permission denied
eneco-001-xxxxx:~#

mAiden
Member
Member
 
Posts: 72
Joined: July 2017

Re: Rooting Toon (or boxx)

Postby TheHogNL » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:23 am

First read what the options are doing: https://github.com/IgorYbema/update-rooted

You are trying -f with a version number. That is invalid. -f is for fixing after an install and doesn't need a version number. You probably mean -v 4.18.8 (force version 4.18.8).

And the permissions denied is because you are now running it as "./update-script.sh" instead of "sh update-script.sh" (and you did make the file executable).

And an empty /etc/inittab .. how did you manage to do that?? It looks you are doing stuff on linux without understanding what you are doing :-)
TheHogNL
Member
Member
 
Posts: 436
Joined: August 2017

Re: Rooting Toon (or boxx)

Postby TerrorSource » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:32 am

TheHogNL wrote:First read what the options are doing: https://github.com/IgorYbema/update-rooted

You are trying -f with a version number. That is invalid. -f is for fixing after an install and doesn't need a version number. You probably mean -v 4.18.8 (force version 4.18.8).

And the permissions denied is because you are now running it as "./update-script.sh" instead of "sh update-script.sh" (and you did make the file executable).

And an empty /etc/inittab .. how did you manage to do that?? It looks you are doing stuff on linux without understanding what you are doing :-)


Empty inittab can happen when an upgrade was unsuccessful and you did not check it before rebooting :)

@mAiden, maybe a better idea to improve you're linux skills a bit more before you do anything else on the Toon?
TerrorSource
Member
Member
 
Posts: 163
Joined: May 2017

Re: Rooting Toon (or boxx)

Postby mAiden » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:53 am

I think my Linux skills are ok, with certificate for it.
I got a LPI certificate for it.

Inittab goes empty indeed due to a failed update.

I have fixed already, Toon start up normally. Thank you for the support.

Screenshot Toon:

http://prntscr.com/kasgt1
mAiden
Member
Member
 
Posts: 72
Joined: July 2017

Re: Rooting Toon (or boxx)

Postby Ierlandfan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:30 am

He posted, got support, he solved it and in the end, that's the whole meaning of this board.
Thanx for helping him!
Ierlandfan
Member
Member
 
Posts: 126
Joined: October 2013

Re: Rooting Toon (or boxx)

Postby Toonz » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:37 am

mAiden wrote:I have fixed already, Toon start up normally. Thank you for the support.


Good to hear you're up and running again :) .
As we have heard about a few similar cases before I would like to understand why these updates fail (in this case a genuine firmware update).
Not enough disk space before the update starts? Does the fact that a Toon is rooted is relevant?
Has anyone been able to look into the root cause?
Toonz
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 716
Joined: December 2016

Re: Rooting Toon (or boxx)

Postby TheHogNL » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:38 am

mAiden wrote:Inittab goes empty indeed due to a failed update.


Update doesn't do anything with inittab :-)

But nice that it is working now!
TheHogNL
Member
Member
 
Posts: 436
Joined: August 2017

Re: Rooting Toon (or boxx)

Postby Toonz » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:19 am

Question remains why the inittab file can get empty in some cases....
Toonz
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 716
Joined: December 2016

Re: Rooting Toon (or boxx)

Postby aabre » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:27 am

Toonz wrote:Question remains why the inittab file can get empty in some cases....


maybe mAiden is not very familiar with the vi editor ?
aabre
Starting Member
Starting Member
 
Posts: 13
Joined: November 2017

Re: Rooting Toon (or boxx)

Postby TerrorSource » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:40 am

aabre wrote:
Toonz wrote:Question remains why the inittab file can get empty in some cases....


maybe mAiden is not very familiar with the vi editor ?


Maybe true but he isn't the first one with this issue after updating. already seen 3-4 persons before who had exactly the same issue with inittab.
TerrorSource
Member
Member
 
Posts: 163
Joined: May 2017

Re: Rooting Toon (or boxx)

Postby TheHogNL » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:17 pm

TerrorSource wrote:
aabre wrote:
Toonz wrote:Question remains why the inittab file can get empty in some cases....


maybe mAiden is not very familiar with the vi editor ?


Maybe true but he isn't the first one with this issue after updating. already seen 3-4 persons before who had exactly the same issue with inittab.


It is possible that after (manually) editing the inittab file (to disable openvpn) you forget to 'sync' to the disk and reboot to soon. This will result in a corrupted or empty file.

However this is not part of the upgrade (the upgrade never touches the inittab) and only part of the manually rooting process.
TheHogNL
Member
Member
 
Posts: 436
Joined: August 2017

Re: Rooting Toon (or boxx)

Postby mAiden » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:22 pm

aabre wrote:
Toonz wrote:Question remains why the inittab file can get empty in some cases....


maybe mAiden is not very familiar with the vi editor ?


I do not like vi, indeed. Use much more often and prefer nano.
That is no excuse. inittab must be empty for a reason. Will view the log files on Saturday or Sunday. Maybe I find something in it.
mAiden
Member
Member
 
Posts: 72
Joined: July 2017

Re: Rooting Toon (or boxx)

Postby mAiden » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:37 pm

Find this in the update log.

Code: Select all
HCBv2 startables changed, writing /etc/inittab.
>> Done, scheduling reboot in 2 secs...
>> 2018-07-23 17:35:37 +0200 (pid 1453) executed


Location: /mnt/data/log/last-update.log

Is almost certain that this has destroyed my inittab.
mAiden
Member
Member
 
Posts: 72
Joined: July 2017

Re: Rooting Toon (or boxx)

Postby TheHogNL » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:20 pm

Impossible. This is part of the HCBv2 startup script which is called by the eneco update script just before the script is finished (this is what you see in the log).

The part of the HCBv2 script responsible:

Code: Select all
                                printline "startables changed, writing $INITTAB_FILE."
                                echo "$INITTAB_CONTENT_NEW" > $INITTAB_FILE.new

                                # file was created ok? (non-zero size)
                                if [ -s $INITTAB_FILE.new ]
                                then
                                        # force-rename removes old file, still more atomic than direct write
                                        mv -f $INITTAB_FILE.new $INITTAB_FILE

                                        # so repeated calls to it_writeifchanged() work:
                                        INITTAB_CONTENT_ONDISK="$INITTAB_CONTENT_NEW"
                                else
                                        printline "ERROR: Writing $INITTAB_FILE failed! Disk full/read-only?"
                                fi



This has a zero-file-size check in it. If the new created inittab.new file is zero, it will not overwrite the real inittab.

There must be another reason for this to happen.
TheHogNL
Member
Member
 
Posts: 436
Joined: August 2017

PreviousNext

Return to Toon Rooting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest