Toon 1 and Toon 2 software rooting

Everything about rooting Toons 1 and 2.

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Toon 1 and Toon 2 software rooting

Post by TheHogNL »

Where did you download the rooting script? You are using older versions. This is the place where you need to download:https://github.com/ToonSoftwareCollective/Root-A-Toon

Also, http://qutility.nl/dropbear_2015.71-r0_qb2.ipk should still work but not for you. Are you blocking internet access from the toon to the internet?
Member of the Toon Software Collective
Merc
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Merc »

Hi TheHogNl,
I was using this script
https://github.com/IgorYbema/Root-A-Toon
so far.

Now I have downloaded your latest one.
I am running this on a PI to which I connect the Toon via WIFI, with access to the internet.

So now I reset the Toon and I am waiting for it to ask me to activate it again. It did do this before and I used the activation script but right now it is just sitting there, connected to the network and with the little box saying:
"activieren by service center".
What can I do now to get it to the activation screen again?

Once this is done I will try to run your updated script.

Thanks,

Merc
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Merc wrote:Hi TheHogNl,
I was using this script
https://github.com/IgorYbema/Root-A-Toon
so far.

Now I have downloaded your latest one.
I am running this on a PI to which I connect the Toon via WIFI, with access to the internet.

So now I reset the Toon and I am waiting for it to ask me to activate it again. It did do this before and I used the activation script but right now it is just sitting there, connected to the network and with the little box saying:
"activieren by service center".
What can I do now to get it to the activation screen again?

Once this is done I will try to run your updated script.

Thanks,

Merc
Once activated it should not come back with another activation request. Weird. But because your root attempt failed but did do a part of the rooting, this will not work anymore I am afraid.
You will need the older method with opening the Toon1, connecting cables from the Pi to the toon and using the ToonRooter script
Merc
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Merc »

I was expecting you to say this.

So which is the latest rooting script for the traditional way then? Dont want to use the wrong one again.

Thanks for your help.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Merc wrote:I was expecting you to say this.

So which is the latest rooting script for the traditional way then? Dont want to use the wrong one again.

Thanks for your help.
https://github.com/ToonSoftwareCollective/ToonRooter

but a Toon1 can always be recovered whatever you do wrong (on software) :) https://github.com/ToonSoftwareCollective/ToonRecovery

Can you tell me where you found the old github link? I already removed the repository there but want to remove the old link in documentations also
Merc
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Merc »

Hi there,
so right at the moment the hardware rooting is running. I am in the process of updating the software to the latest version.
In the console I can see a lot of "y" flashing and on the Toon's screen it says updating software but I am not sure if the progress bar is still moving

Is this the way it should be? Seems to take quite a while and all the informative text messages have disappeared.

Thanks for this script.

Merc
Merc
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Merc »

Hi TheHogNL,
I tried to find where I had picked up this "old" link to Github but cannot recall anymore.
I had bookmarked the page after I had found it.

It was a forum of some kind. If I will find it again I will let you know.

Thanks,

Merc

the toon is still updating the software and the shell is printing a lot of y's
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Merc wrote:Hi TheHogNL,

the toon is still updating the software and the shell is printing a lot of y's
Should not take that long. If it is still running break it and try again. Hopefully it will pick up. If not, your last thing you can try is the ToonRecovery :(
AntonieB
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by AntonieB »

Hello, I'am pretty new to this forum so I don't know exactly what is the normal procedure for asking a question around Toon2 software rooting but this thread seems the right spot.

Thanks in advance for helping me out!

So the problem. I did go the software rooting way following the 'quick guide' at https://www.domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic. ... 235#p82533

So far I can login on my I think rooted Toon 2 but I can't get the 'toonstore' to show up.

When I run: sh update-rooted.sh -f I think I see a problem but don't know if there is a solution. The log is as followws:

Only fixing files.
creating backup of inittab...
creating backup of chrony.conf...
creating backup of hosts...
creating backup of config_happ_scsync.xml...
creating backup of qmf_tenant.xml.save ...
FIXING: Downloading resources.rcc TSC mod for this version 5.49.7.
[ERROR] Could not download a resources.rcc file for this version! Continuing, but your custom apps probably dont work anymore
FIXING: Now updating all toonstore installed apps
EDITING: Time server, removes unnecessary link to Quby
EDITING: Hosts file, removes unnecessary link to Quby
EDITING: Disable add google DNS on top of resolv.conf
EDITING: disable ovpn connection to quby
EDITING: Activating Toon, enabling ElectricityDisplay and GasDisplay
EDITING: removing data gathering by Quby and whitelisting web services
EDITING: add disable power management wifi on Toon2
EDITING: add autobrightness feature on Toon2
EDITING: disabling Eneco subscription feature apps which are not working on rooted toons
EDITING: disabling KPI and weather happ as these are not necessary on rooted toons
EDITING: download certificate store pem file
EDITING: lighttpd so tsc/sensors is viewable via a browser
Finished fixing files!

I think the problem is there is no TSC mod for my version 5.49.7

I tried searching the forum but can't really find an answer / somebody else having the same problem. I read some things about 'downgrading toon' but I'm not exactly sure if thats the right way?

I hope anybody understands something and can help me out. I do have some experience with linux / raspberry pi / networking etc so only some highlevel tips and tricks could help.

Again thanks already for taking the time to help me out.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

AntonieB wrote:Hello, I'am pretty new to this forum so I don't know exactly what is the normal procedure for asking a question around Toon2 software rooting but this thread seems the right spot.

I think the problem is there is no TSC mod for my version 5.49.7

I tried searching the forum but can't really find an answer / somebody else having the same problem. I read some things about 'downgrading toon' but I'm not exactly sure if thats the right way?

I hope anybody understands something and can help me out. I do have some experience with linux / raspberry pi / networking etc so only some highlevel tips and tricks could help.

Again thanks already for taking the time to help me out.
This version was not yet available for rooted toons indeed. I just checked and it seems that 5.49.7 is only available for a few official toons right now. But I just created the resource file for it so please try again, should work now.
AntonieB
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by AntonieB »

TheHogNL wrote: This version was not yet available for rooted toons indeed. I just checked and it seems that 5.49.7 is only available for a few official toons right now. But I just created the resource file for it so please try again, should work now.
Thats a fast reply! Thank you!

I just tried it and it is working now for me!

Can I buy you a beer somewhere? or any other way to help out?
bafplus
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by bafplus »

Hy al! I am the proud owner of a rooted Toon2, thanks for all the hard work!

However...I friend of mine has a Toon 1 with firmware 5.24.100.
According to the docs you can only root such with a serial device (wich i don't have).
So what are my options to root a Toon1 without a serial cable?
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

bafplus wrote:Hy al! I am the proud owner of a rooted Toon2, thanks for all the hard work!

However...I friend of mine has a Toon 1 with firmware 5.24.100.
According to the docs you can only root such with a serial device (wich i don't have).
So what are my options to root a Toon1 without a serial cable?
These versions are talking directly to a online server instead of over vpn. And we need the vpn communication to get the software rooting to work.
You might be lucky if you disable any internet on this toon for a while. At least a week. And then try the software rooting trick. That should invalidate the stored access key to the online server and then it needs vpn again to try to update that.
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Hi all,

So I'm trying to root a Toon2 based on the github rep https://github.com/ToonSoftwareCollective/Root-A-Toon
Following the instructions to prepare a RaspberryPi3 (and also tried 4b) gives me no luck.

I follow the instructions as mentioned in the readme file based on https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentati ... ess-point .
All of the installation progress goes well, for lets say 3 minutes or so.
After 3 minutes I'm still connected to the wlan0 interface of the Rpi but I don't have any internet access anymore.
I use eth0 as connection to my normal LAN network.

My eth0 is fixed ip on 192.168.0.209
I fixed the ip on wlan0 (with dhcp) on 192.168.4.1 with dhcp range from 192.168.4.2 until 192.168.4.20 with 255.255.255.0 lease time 12hours.
Toon2 gets an IP-address but fails on internet connection.

Does anybody have an idea on how to fix this?
Or maybe an other instruction or automated script?

Thanks!
Toon2 with 6.0.2 firmware TSC 2.1.7
Apps: Sonos, Calender, garbagecalender, webcam, doorcam, Onkyo, Domoticzboard, Solar and weather app.
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Xavier wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:54 pm Hi all,

So I'm trying to root a Toon2 based on the github rep https://github.com/ToonSoftwareCollective/Root-A-Toon
Following the instructions to prepare a RaspberryPi3 (and also tried 4b) gives me no luck.

I follow the instructions as mentioned in the readme file based on https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentati ... ess-point .
All of the installation progress goes well, for lets say 3 minutes or so.
After 3 minutes I'm still connected to the wlan0 interface of the Rpi but I don't have any internet access anymore.
I use eth0 as connection to my normal LAN network.

My eth0 is fixed ip on 192.168.0.209
I fixed the ip on wlan0 (with dhcp) on 192.168.4.1 with dhcp range from 192.168.4.2 until 192.168.4.20 with 255.255.255.0 lease time 12hours.
Toon2 gets an IP-address but fails on internet connection.

Does anybody have an idea on how to fix this?
Or maybe an other instruction or automated script?

Thanks!
Ok, so I installed Rpi NetworkManager instead, this seems to be working.
Toon2 is now connected en stays connected.
When running the script I get this as result:

Code: Select all

pi@raspberrypi:~/Root-A-Toon $ sudo bash root-toon.sh 
Default payload loaded: Kill qt-gui 
Blocking all HTTPS (and therefore Toon VPN). Reboot your toon now. And after that press the 'software' button on your Toon. 
The Toon from 10.42.0.188 is connecting to servicecenter IP: 172.22.32.1 
Let's have some fun! 
PUT /schedule-service/device/*******************************(hidden)/schedules/**************************************(hidden) HTTP/1.1 
Host: 172.22.32.1:31080 
Accept: */* 
sender: display 
Content-Type: application/json 
Content-Length: 2869 
Expect: 100-continue 
After this there is some more code which displayes the schedule.
The the remark "This is not an update request."

When I try with payload I get this:

Code: Select all

pi@raspberrypi:~/Root-A-Toon $ sudo bash root-toon.sh payload 
Blocking all HTTPS (and therefore Toon VPN). Reboot your toon now. And after that press the 'software' button on your Toon. 
The Toon from 10.42.0.188 is connecting to servicecenter IP: 172.22.32.1 
Let's have some fun! 
POST /QubyRegistration/ HTTP/1.1 
Host: 172.22.32.1:31080 
Accept: */* 
Content-Type: application/xml; charset=utf-8 
Content-Length: 464 
<action class="invoke" uuid="*****************************(hidden):hcb_config" destuuid="************************(hidden)" serviceid="urn:hcb-hae-com:serviceId:specific1" requestid="651-7" commonname="qb-659916001600-1814A03P1H"> 
<u:GetUpgrade xmlns:u="http://schema.homeautomationeurope.com/quby"><Arch>nxt</Arch> 
<Flav>uni</Flav> 
<Ver>6.0.2</Ver> 
<Seed>162970916</Seed> 
<requestId>651-7</requestId> 
<timeout>10</timeout> 
</u:GetUpgrade> 
</action> 

Received valid update request. Sending the reponse for the upgrade request and starting payload process in background 

The response payload has been sent. Now waiting for the Toon to pick up the remote shell script. Depending on the firmware of the Toon this can take a minute or so. 
Response payload was not sent. Please try again 
btw: Softwareversion is 6.0.2
Toon2 with 6.0.2 firmware TSC 2.1.7
Apps: Sonos, Calender, garbagecalender, webcam, doorcam, Onkyo, Domoticzboard, Solar and weather app.

Return to “Toon Rooting”