Everything about rooting Toons 1 and 2.

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Rooting Toon (or boxx)

Post by Toonz »

fkruis wrote:@toonz
You can also use telnet (putty) with esp-link. there you can use CTRL> and <ESC> characters.
fkruis
wasn't aware of this, much easier than the web interface. Thanks
However, submitting control characters still doesn't work here. Somehow lost in translation at the ESP card.
What ESP link software version do you use?
member of the Toon Software Collective
michel30

Post by michel30 »

Hello,

I have a problem with the Toon and x11vnc_0.9.13-r0_qb2 on software Version: 4.8.25

The problem is as follow, I install every ipk package from 4.8.25 manual by using the URL opkg install ......... and that works.
After that I reboot the Toon and it was running 4.8.25 but only vnc did not work so I checked the issue and I see it was started 11 times so I did opkg remove x11vnc reboot the Toon.
The Toon is working, but when I install x11vnc the Toon is getting very slow, it startes to reboot because all the memory and CPU is in used, when I remove x11vnc than the Toon works okay.

Does somebody know how to stop the multi boot of the app? or is there a fix for it?
I also try to install x11vnc_0.9.13-r2_qb2 but the problem with this one is it will not start the message is x display problem.

Thanks for your help.
TerrorSource
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TerrorSource »

michel30 wrote:
Wunser wrote:
Wunser wrote:Does anyone have an idea where the top popup in the idle screen is managed in the latest software?

Even though I've deployed the workaround where it thinks it's connected to the service center, there's still a big white banner at the top stating it doesn't see the connection. "Geen verbinding met Service Center, kijk hier voor advies"

I can't find where it controls/checks that and how to disable it
Actually, I've found a way, but it'll disable the entire message center:

Open /qmf/qml/Canvas.qml
Find this part and comment out the init of the notifications:

Code: Select all

notifications = notificationsComponent.createObject(canvas);                             
                // notifications.init();                                                                 

What I did is as follow: in HCBv2/qml/apps/internetSettings/InternetSettingsApp.qml around line 464

BxtNotifyHandler {                                                                                  
                id: statusNotifyHandler                                                                     
                serviceId: "status"                                                                         
//              onNotificationReceived : {                                                                  
        //              var statemachine = message.getArgument("statemachine");                             
                //      if (statemachine) {                                                                 
                                //var prevSmStatus = smStatus;                                              
                                // smStatus = parseInt(statemachine);                                       
// add the following two lines of code:                                                                     
// added by al_n (20151220):                                                                                
                                if(smStatus == _ST_INTERNET) {                                              
                                    smStatus = _ST_TUNNEL;                                                  
                                }         

With this option you can delete the message in the trash bin, it will only popups again when you do a reboot or make a new connection to Toon or do a ping.
But than you can trow it again in the trash bin.
This fix is solving the annoying pop-up bar but it's also creating multiple other issues.
1. "Internet" options are gone from the Settings app
2. "Internet" status is removed from "systeemstatus"
3. Not able to connect to a different wireless network from the systray as the icon is not there.

michel30

Post by michel30 »

Hello,

I don't have any other solution for the popup the only thing you can do is setup the connection to Toon service center.

If somebody else has an other solution, than please let us know :-)
fkruis
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by fkruis »

@toonz

i am using esp-link v3.0.14-g963ffbb with putty 0.70
michel30

Post by michel30 »

michel30 wrote:Hello,

I have a problem with the Toon and x11vnc_0.9.13-r0_qb2 on software Version: 4.8.25

The problem is as follow, I install every ipk package from 4.8.25 manual by using the URL opkg install ......... and that works.
After that I reboot the Toon and it was running 4.8.25 but only vnc did not work so I checked the issue and I see it was started 11 times so I did opkg remove x11vnc reboot the Toon.
The Toon is working, but when I install x11vnc the Toon is getting very slow, it startes to reboot because all the memory and CPU is in used, when I remove x11vnc than the Toon works okay.

Does somebody know how to stop the multi boot of the app? or is there a fix for it?
I also try to install x11vnc_0.9.13-r2_qb2 but the problem with this one is it will not start the message is x display problem.

Thanks for your help.

It is working okay now :-) the problem was when I reboot the Toon the software it startups many times, I delete the rule autostart and now it works.
I will leave the rule, in case the Toon does a restart ;-)
makkie2002

Post by makkie2002 »

Toonz wrote:
fkruis wrote:@toonz
You can also use telnet (putty) with esp-link. there you can use CTRL> and <ESC> characters.
fkruis
wasn't aware of this, much easier than the web interface. Thanks
However, submitting control characters still doesn't work here. Somehow lost in translation at the ESP card.
What ESP link software version do you use?
Hi guys, please have a look here: hackaday.io/page/1304-virtual-serial-po ... h-esp-link.
This creates a virtual COM port on your PC which which is connected over IP to your ESPlink.
This should solve some of your "lost in translation" issues :D.
ronalddehaan
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by ronalddehaan »

Guys, i could use your help, I've successfully rooted my Toon but now I am stuck installing the dropbear and ssh package.

As I've read I can't use the direct link from the manual to the files on this website as the default wget on Toon does not support SSL.
So I've put the .zip files in my own web server and downloaded them onto Toon, so far so good, but....
When I want to install the packages using "opkg install dropbear_2015.71-r0_qb2.ipk" it says

Collected errors:
* wfopen: dropbear_2015.71-r0_qb2.ipk: No such file or directory.
* pkg_init_from_file: Failed to extract control file from dropbear_2015.71-r0_qb2.ipk.

I am at a loss, all help is welcome :oops:
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

Hi Ronald,
Please make sure that the files are unzipped before you actually transmit them to toon. (I'm not sure if toon has the unzip exec on board).
The .ipk file extracted from the .zip should have a length of 125704 bytes.
ronalddehaan
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by ronalddehaan »

marcelr wrote:Hi Ronald,
Please make sure that the files are unzipped before you actually transmit them to toon. (I'm not sure if toon has the unzip exec on board).
The .ipk file extracted from the .zip should have a length of 125704 bytes.
Thanks Marcel,

It wasn't mentioned in the txt file but I did not give up and found the 'unzip first' part after some digging.
After that it still wasn't working, but that was to blame on my IIS webserver. To download .ipk files you have to add a MIME type specifying the .IPK extension.
If you specify application/octet-stream as MIME type for the IPK extension and restart IIS you are good to go.

Second issue; when i connect to http://toon:10080/happ_thermstat?action=printTableInfo it gives me an 403 Access denied.
TO fix this I read that I should change the port in the /HCBv2/config/hcb_project.xml file, but this file apparently does not exist on my Toon.
Any ideas?

By the way; i do have root, and I can SSH over Wifi, so for now I'm good :)
RomMon
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by RomMon »

Succeeded with rooting my 2016 Toon using JTAG an a RPi (RPi 1, Model B Revision 2.0).

Initially I had complains from openocd while it was processing ed20.cfg, but solved it using the advice from @bwbboot here.

The error message was different:

ed20_init
Error: An adapter speed is not selected in the init script. Insert a call to adapter_khz or jtag_rclk to proceed.
I added the same 3 lines first to ed20.cfg, but the issue was solved only after I also added it to rpi.cfg.

Steps performed

On RPi-1B
  1. Upgraded the RPi-1B to Rasbian 9, Stretch
  2. sudo apt-get install openocd
    • (openocd_0.9.0-1+b1_armhf.deb)
  3. sudo apt-get install telnet
  4. mkdir ~/toonjtag
  5. cd ~/toonjtag
  6. wget download/file.php?id=3144 -O uboot-and-openocd-cfg-for-rooting-toon.zip
  7. sha1sum uboot-and-openocd-cfg-for-rooting-toon.zip
    • (verfied the hash with a download performed on Windows)
  8. unzip uboot-and-openocd-cfg-for-rooting-toon.zip
  9. connected 8 JTAG wires from Toon to RPi
  10. cp /usr/share/openocd/scripts/interface/raspberrypi-native.cfg ~/toonjtag/rpi.cfg
  11. cp rpi.cfg rpi.cfg.orig
  12. vi ~/toonjtag/rpi.cfg
    • (see changes from diff below)
    1. The below changes are probably not required:
    2. vi ed20.cfg
    3. add the following two lines after adapter_khz 500
    4. adapter_nsrst_delay 400
    5. reset_config none
  13. sudo openocd -f rpi.cfg -f ed20.cfg

In a new cli session
  14. telnet localhost 4444
  15. soft_reset_halt
  16. reset halt
  17. load_image u-boot.bin 0xa1f00000
  18. resume 0xa1f00000
  19. After the last 'resume' command quickly head over the the serial console connection to type the boot passwd
    • toon
  20. Follow the rooting procedure according:

$ diff -dur rpi.cfg.orig rpi.cfg
--- rpi.cfg.orig        2017-10-07 21:14:55.355023903 +0200
+++ rpi.cfg     2017-10-07 23:54:18.996620449 +0200
@@ -22,12 +22,16 @@
 # If you define trst or srst, use appropriate reset_config
 # Header pin numbers: TRST - 26, SRST - 18

-# bcm2835gpio_trst_num 7
+bcm2835gpio_trst_num 8
 # reset_config trst_only

-# bcm2835gpio_srst_num 24
+bcm2835gpio_srst_num 24
 # reset_config srst_only srst_push_pull

# or if you have both connected,
-# reset_config trst_and_srst srst_push_pull
+reset_config trst_and_srst srst_push_pull
+
+adapter_khz 500
+adapter_nsrst_delay 400
+reset_config none
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

ronalddehaan wrote: Second issue; when i connect to http://toon:10080/happ_thermstat?action=printTableInfo it gives me an 403 Access denied.
TO fix this I read that I should change the port in the /HCBv2/config/hcb_project.xml file, but this file apparently does not exist on my Toon.
Any ideas?
In later firmwares, it's /qmf/etc/qmf_project.xml.
ronalddehaan
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by ronalddehaan »

marcelr wrote:
ronalddehaan wrote: Second issue; when i connect to http://toon:10080/happ_thermstat?action=printTableInfo it gives me an 403 Access denied.
Any ideas?
I just went ahead and installed the mentioned programs and after that and a reboot everything seemed to be working.

Now to get Domoticz talking with Toon..
I've found a 'sort of' tutorial here:https://www.domoticz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11421 however this is written for experienced users.. :D
I will ask him for a nooby tutorial :lol:
michel30

Post by michel30 »

ronalddehaan wrote:
marcelr wrote:
Any ideas?
I just went ahead and installed the mentioned programs and after that and a reboot everything seemed to be working.

Now to get Domoticz talking with Toon..
I've found a 'sort of' tutorial here:https://www.domoticz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11421 however this is written for experienced users.. :D
I will ask him for a nooby tutorial :lol:

I have the same problem :-) I played last weekend with it, but no success at all and it sound so easy :-) if you have a manual for dummy's than please share it ;-)
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

double post
Last edited by Toonz on Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
member of the Toon Software Collective

Return to “Toon Rooting”