Rooting Toon (or boxx)

Everything about rooting Toons 1 and 2.

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

ericT
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Rooting Toon (or boxx)

Post by ericT »

marcelr wrote:Depends on the firmware version. Later firmwares (4.3.20 and later IIRC) store the downloads in /mnt/data/upgrade
Thanks, found them.
michel30 wrote:I upgraded my Toon but I think if you just do a upgrade and update in the backend and after the update edit the following file iptables.conf and reboot that your Toon is still working.
But I did not test that.
If you do in the backend just upgrade you will see a list with all the new files.
Now you can do wget base-qb2-ene-<whatever>.ipk and edit the files etc.
Did it the other way, but thanks anyway.
Wunser
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Wunser »

Wunser wrote:Does anyone have an idea where the top popup in the idle screen is managed in the latest software?

Even though I've deployed the workaround where it thinks it's connected to the service center, there's still a big white banner at the top stating it doesn't see the connection. "Geen verbinding met Service Center, kijk hier voor advies"

I can't find where it controls/checks that and how to disable it
Actually, I've found a way, but it'll disable the entire message center:

Open /qmf/qml/Canvas.qml
Find this part and comment out the init of the notifications:

Code: Select all

notifications = notificationsComponent.createObject(canvas);                             
                // notifications.init();                                                                 
Wunser
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Wunser »

Anyone re-compiled VNC yet against the newer libssl-1.0.0? The existing one doesn't work with the newest toon firmware:

# opkg install x11vnc_0.9.13-r0_qb2.ipk 
Installing x11vnc (0.9.13-r0) to root...
Collected errors:
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for x11vnc:
 * 	libssl (>= 0.9.8m) * 
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package x11vnc.
michel30

Post by michel30 »

Wunser wrote:
Wunser wrote:Does anyone have an idea where the top popup in the idle screen is managed in the latest software?

Even though I've deployed the workaround where it thinks it's connected to the service center, there's still a big white banner at the top stating it doesn't see the connection. "Geen verbinding met Service Center, kijk hier voor advies"

I can't find where it controls/checks that and how to disable it
Actually, I've found a way, but it'll disable the entire message center:

Open /qmf/qml/Canvas.qml
Find this part and comment out the init of the notifications:

notifications = notificationsComponent.createObject(canvas);                             
                // notifications.init();                                                                 

What I did is as follow: in HCBv2/qml/apps/internetSettings/InternetSettingsApp.qml around line 464

BxtNotifyHandler {                                                                                  
                id: statusNotifyHandler                                                                     
                serviceId: "status"                                                                         
//              onNotificationReceived : {                                                                  
        //              var statemachine = message.getArgument("statemachine");                             
                //      if (statemachine) {                                                                 
                                //var prevSmStatus = smStatus;                                              
                                // smStatus = parseInt(statemachine);                                       
// add the following two lines of code:                                                                     
// added by al_n (20151220):                                                                                
                                if(smStatus == _ST_INTERNET) {                                              
                                    smStatus = _ST_TUNNEL;                                                  
                                }         

With this option you can delete the message in the trash bin, it will only popups again when you do a reboot or make a new connection to Toon or do a ping.
But than you can trow it again in the trash bin.
FunFair
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by FunFair »

michel30 wrote: What I did is as follow: in HCBv2/qml/apps/internetSettings/InternetSettingsApp.qml around line 464

BxtNotifyHandler {                                                                                  
                id: statusNotifyHandler                                                                     
                serviceId: "status"                                                                         
//              onNotificationReceived : {                                                                  
        //              var statemachine = message.getArgument("statemachine");                             
                //      if (statemachine) {                                                                 
                                //var prevSmStatus = smStatus;                                              
                                // smStatus = parseInt(statemachine);                                       
// add the following two lines of code:                                                                     
// added by al_n (20151220):                                                                                
                                if(smStatus == _ST_INTERNET) {                                              
                                    smStatus = _ST_TUNNEL;                                                  
                                }         

With this option you can delete the message in the trash bin, it will only popups again when you do a reboot or make a new connection to Toon or do a ping.
But than you can trow it again in the trash bin.
It seems that the solution for HCBv2/qml/apps/internetSettings/InternetSettingsApp.qml works.
I deleted the message. But every once in a while Toon wil reboot during the night and the notification is back, so you have to delete it again.
I'd wish there was a better solution to disable the notification popup completely, without disabling the message center. Useless function imo.
michel30

Post by michel30 »

why is your Toon rebooting every night?
FunFair
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by FunFair »

michel30 wrote:why is your Toon rebooting every night?
In my knowledge toon reboots when memory is full. On firmware v3 it rebooted every night at 4 in the morning.
TerrorSource
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TerrorSource »

FunFair wrote:
michel30 wrote:why is your Toon rebooting every night?
In my knowledge toon reboots when memory is full. On firmware v3 it rebooted every night at 4 in the morning.
Another possibility can also be that only the GUI is restarting because of the ToonStore refresh.
kurniawan77
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by kurniawan77 »

COOL! So does this mean we can use the ESP-Link microcontroller console to get rooted? My Toon has a 14-xx-xxx-xxx s/n so i expect i don't need the jtag interface...

makkie2002 wrote:I opened my Toon and took a picture :idea:

This is the scheme that I deduced from that:
Toon 5 <-> WeMos G(nd)
Toon 9 <-> WeMos 3.3V
Toon 11 <-> WeMos TX
Toon 13 <-> Wemos RX

I also completely covered the WeMos module with tape to prevent false electrical contacts between the Toon and the WeMos ESP8266 when snugly installed in the case of Toon.

Have fun!
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

TerrorSource wrote:Another possibility can also be that only the GUI is restarting because of the ToonStore refresh.
That is true if set to automatic updates, but not every night. We are not publishing new versions of apps daily.
member of the Toon Software Collective
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

kurniawan77 wrote:COOL! So does this mean we can use the ESP-Link microcontroller console to get rooted? My Toon has a 14-xx-xxx-xxx s/n so i expect i don't need the jtag interface...
I have installed the ESP module as well and it is working great. However, it has some drawbacks if you want to use this as primary method of rooting.
The reason is that you cannot submit <CTRL> characters to the serial port via the Web interface of ESP-link.
You therefore cannot follow the standard rooting manual as it require the use of editors which are all controlled via <CTRL> or <ESC> characters.

What you can do on Toon version 14x and 15x is the trick with entering the password to get into uboot via the ESP card. For version 16x you must allways fallback to the JTAG interface.
Once in uboot make the change which drops you into a shell after reboot.
Have a copy of modified versions of all the files you normally edit(when following the manual ) ready on your own webserver beforehand.
Once in the shell, download those files via wget and replace the original files.

If I have time (which is scarce nowadays) I will look into a fork of the ESP-link software which will allow submitting <CTRL> and <ESC> characters via the webinterface.

Hope this helps.

Kind regardz,

Toonz
kurniawan77
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by kurniawan77 »

Toonz wrote:
kurniawan77 wrote:COOL! So does this mean we can use the ESP-Link microcontroller console to get rooted? My Toon has a 14-xx-xxx-xxx s/n so i expect i don't need the jtag interface...
I have installed the ESP module as well and it is working great. However, it has some drawbacks if you want to use this as primary method of rooting.
The reason is that you cannot submit <CTRL> characters to the serial port via the Web interface of ESP-link.
You therefore cannot follow the standard rooting manual as it require the use of editors which are all controlled via <CTRL> or <ESC> characters.

What you can do on Toon version 14x and 15x is the trick with entering the password to get into uboot via the ESP card. For version 16x you must allways fallback to the JTAG interface.
Once in uboot make the change which drops you into a shell after reboot.
Have a copy of modified versions of all the files you normally edit(when following the manual ) ready on your own webserver beforehand.
Once in the shell, download those files via wget and replace the original files.

If I have time (which is scarce nowadays) I will look into a fork of the ESP-link software which will allow submitting <CTRL> and <ESC> characters via the webinterface.

Hope this helps.

Kind regardz,

Toonz

I understand what you are saying but i dont have all those files... yet. Take your time!

I also have a FTDI usb to serial module (http://s.aliexpress.com/ErANfIZj) that can switch between 3.3 and 5v so i can do the rooting part with that first.
fkruis
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by fkruis »

@toonz

you can also use telnet (putty) with esp-link. You have there the option to <CTRL> characters/

fkruis
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

ok, then I advise to use the FTDI interface first for rooting and copy all changed files when done.
If you need to re-root in the future you can do it via the ESP card without the need to open the Toon again.
fkruis
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by fkruis »

@toonz

You can also use telnet (putty) with esp-link. there you can use CTRL> and <ESC> characters.

fkruis

Return to “Toon Rooting”