Everything about rooting Toons 1 and 2.

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

SjaakAfhaak
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Rooting Toon (or boxx)

Post by SjaakAfhaak »

Hello everyone.

I'm trying to root my second toon this week.
The first one worked like a charm, but this morning I'm having some troubles.

Because when I reboot toon after the changes in /etc/inittab and the /etc/passwd it getting stuck on "getty: applet not found".
So I need the busybox getty enabled ipk. But the link doesn't work anymore.
http://files.domoticaforum.eu/uploads/T ... r4_qb2.ipk

Last wednesday it was still there when I was rooting my first toon.
Also de dropbear link is not there anymore.

Can somebody help me out
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

That is correct. Yesterday we decided that the files section of this forum with regard to toon was a complete mess. The packages have been moved to more logical places on the ftp server.
You can find them now in :

http://files.domoticaforum.eu/index.php?cam=/Toon/ipk

Just checkout your hardware version (qb2 / armv5e / cortexa9hf-vfp-neon) and you should be good to go. Most of the stuff for toon 1 is still in qb2, but with the arrival of fw 5.0, many packages won't install any more due to newer glibc and / or libssl.
SjaakAfhaak
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by SjaakAfhaak »

marcelr wrote:That is correct. Yesterday we decided that the files section of this forum with regard to toon was a complete mess. The packages have been moved to more logical places on the ftp server.

Just checkout your hardware version (qb2 / armv5e / cortexa9hf-vfp-neon) and you should be good to go. Most of the stuff for toon 1 is still in qb2, but with the arrival of fw 5.0, many packages won't install any more due to newer glibc and / or libssl.

Oh man thanks for your replay.

It is a pitty that my first toon was at 4.22 and my second one is already at 5.0.4 so I'm a bit stuck now.
Second toon is on the table all day now and I was just to pull my hears from my head why it wouldn't work any more.

I can't find the busybox r4 file in the qb2 dir.
I even managed to get my skilles up to do a minicom upload op dropbear by serial but I get a 255 errorwhen trying to opkg install the dropbear.
does busybox r4 have install/upgrade problems aswell

Any know how to get my non rooted toon to be rooted? with the version 5.0.4 because I really would like to get past the getty thingy.
Do you still have the busybox file

I really appriciate al the work guys. I hope to get my one toon to be rooted because the first one is so more awesome that the one eneco gave me.

btw
My second one has uboot version R8 so password is easy.
mAiden

Post by mAiden »

SjaakAfhaak wrote:
marcelr wrote:That is correct. Yesterday we decided that the files section of this forum with regard to toon was a complete mess. The packages have been moved to more logical places on the ftp server.

Oh man thanks for your replay.

It is a pitty that my first toon was at 4.22 and my second one is already at 5.0.4 so I'm a bit stuck now.
Second toon is on the table all day now and I was just to pull my hears from my head why it wouldn't work any more.

I can't find the busybox r4 file in the qb2 dir.
I even managed to get my skilles up to do a minicom upload op dropbear by serial but I get a 255 errorwhen trying to opkg install the dropbear.
does busybox r4 have install/upgrade problems aswell

Any know how to get my non rooted toon to be rooted? with the version 5.0.4 because I really would like to get past the getty thingy.
Do you still have the busybox file

I really appriciate al the work guys. I hope to get my one toon to be rooted because the first one is so more awesome that the one eneco gave me.

btw
My second one has uboot version R8 so password is easy.
I had the same thing..

opkg install dropbear file. and the you can run the postinstall script manually:

/usr/lib/opkg/info/dropbear.postinst

Try this one! :)
Member of the Toon Software Collective
SjaakAfhaak
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by SjaakAfhaak »

Oh and I forgot to tell that the first toon (4.22.somthing did update perfectly to 5.0.4 with the update-rooted.sh from IgorYbema last week.
Updated like charm :)
SjaakAfhaak
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by SjaakAfhaak »

Thanks mAiden,

I just run the postinst file.
And what to do after that?
I tried to fun
opkg install drop-llalalalalal
But still have the 255 returned
SjaakAfhaak
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by SjaakAfhaak »

Darn I'm feeling that I'm so close.

I rebooted toon after the postinst the *******thing. and I see it in the network (cabled). oh and all the iptables and vpn block ntp stuff. i did already.
On toon I see the TSC menu in the setting section.
I tried ssh root@ip and got the rsa fingerprint (but I didn't/couldn't set the root passwd already)

So close but no cigar
mAiden

Post by mAiden »

SjaakAfhaak wrote:Darn I'm feeling that I'm so close.

I rebooted toon after the postinst the *******thing. and I see it in the network (cabled). oh and all the iptables and vpn block ntp stuff. i did already.
I tried ssh root@ip and got the rsa fingerprint (but I didn't/couldn't set the root passwd already)

So close but no cigar
Login to U-Boot from Toon, password you can find somewhere here..

Did you add this one to /etc/inittab ?

Code: Select all

# HCBv2 static stuff
ovpn:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/openvpn --config /etc/openvpn/vpn.conf --verb 0 >/dev/null 2>&1
qtqt:245:respawn:/usr/bin/startqt >/dev/null 2>&1
# add serial console access: (added, MR!):
gett:235:respawn:/sbin/getty -L 115200 ttymxc0 vt102
Have you remove DISABLED from root in/etc/passwd, like this:

root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/sh
If you do this, then reboot youre Toon with the reset button. If you got a prompt like "Eneco Toon by Quby " you can login as root
and then you can set you password with passwd :)
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

If you haven't replaced busybox, you can't set the password and there's no way to get a getty,
I will put busybox <whatever> r4 back on the ftp server, but use with care. In 5.0.4 it's no use any more.

edit: done
SjaakAfhaak
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by SjaakAfhaak »

mAiden wrote:
SjaakAfhaak wrote:Darn I'm feeling that I'm so close.

So close but no cigar
Login to U-Boot from Toon, password you can find somewhere here..

Did you add this one to /etc/inittab ?

# HCBv2 static stuff
ovpn:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/openvpn --config /etc/openvpn/vpn.conf --verb 0 >/dev/null 2>&1
qtqt:245:respawn:/usr/bin/startqt >/dev/null 2>&1
# add serial console access: (added, MR!):
gett:235:respawn:/sbin/getty -L 115200 ttymxc0 vt102
Have you remove DISABLED from root in/etc/passwd, like this:

root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/sh
If you do this, then reboot youre Toon with the reset button. If you got a prompt like "Eneco Toon by Quby " you can login as root
and then you can set you password with passwd :)

did all that stuff over and over checking again and again.
I don't get the
Eneco Toon by Quby

eneco-001-xxxxxx login:

I also blocked the ovpn in /etc/inittab
and /etc/default/iptables.conf done
/etc/hosts done
/etc/chrony.conf done

Mmm getting frustrated a bit
how do I replace busybox????
SjaakAfhaak
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by SjaakAfhaak »

marcelr wrote:If you haven't replaced busybox, you can't set the password and there's no way to get a getty,
I will put busybox <whatever> r4 back on the ftp server, but use with care. In 5.0.4 it's no use any more.

edit: done

Awesome that was the one file I needed.
wget http://files.domoticaforum.eu/uploads/T ... r4_qb2.ipk

opkg install busybox_1.27.2-r4_qb2.ipk
pushed the reset button and BAMMM:

Eneco Toon by Quby

eneco-001-xxxxxx login:

did root and set a nice passwd for root
and opkg install dropbear_2015.71-r0_qb2.ipk

awesome. I hope everything else will be going smooth.

Thank you all for the help
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Can I ask why you are not using the easiest way (the toon rooter script)? This will install dropbear for you and set a password. An updated busybox is not necessary then. Updating busybox from the forum can cause your toon to be bricked so that is why we removed busybox earlier.
hiddit
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by hiddit »

i could use some help,
i did a factory reset to get rid off the history usage data and now i can't get past the activation screen.
how can i get past it?

and just asking is it hard to get back to the original software?

thx :D
TerrorSource
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TerrorSource »

hiddit wrote:i could use some help,
i did a factory reset to get rid off the history usage data and now i can't get past the activation screen.
how can i get past it?

and just asking is it hard to get back to the original software?

thx :D
Did you already tried looking in the rooting manual? Or in this topic/forum? The solution is already mentioned a few times.
CrumNL
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by CrumNL »

Hi all,

The last couple of days I've read about and rooted my virgin toon1 with firmware 5.0.4.

I used a rpi3 and encountered some issues with the toonrooter so I went for the manual way in.
That worked after some trial and error and I found that the payload directory from toonrooter was there but the packages failed.
Didn't look into that any further since I manually installed the packages needed after running the root update script that fixed some loose ends.

Anyway. After 4-5 hours I understood more of the device, the process, the packages, be it high level-ish.
I could not get the toon store running for some reason, and even though I figured out what is wrong, I am curious why and how to fix that.

When eth0 is not used, network processes fail. DNS resolving doesn't work, ping doesn't work and as such all app related queries seem to fail.
Also the toon store did not work on wlan0, even though I do have ssh and vnc running.

So I wasted/learned over half a day figuring out what was going on until...
..I plug in a cable and wait shortly, wlan0 is killed and only eth0 is up and running. :shock:

Everything seems to be working and I could finally update the toon store.
The waste app also does not want to install but that is not related to this I think, the rest installs well.
[edit; that was fixed this morning I noticed]

I'm curious to know where this wlan/eth0 behaviour can be manipulated so that all works via wlan0 as well.
I've been reading a ton of posts here before registering but didn't read anybody with a similar issue.

wlan0, no ping, no store apps :
###########################################

eth0 :
###########################################

Return to “Toon Rooting”