Rooting Toon (or boxx)

Everything about rooting Toons 1 and 2.

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

Rkzr
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Rooting Toon (or boxx)

Post by Rkzr »

The ToonRooter script works fine on a other Toon with sn 15, so thats not the problem.

I used the manual from rboers. When I go through all the steps the last one is to reboot (resume 0xa1f00000).
After this step the bootloader from Toon looks fuzzy and i'm not able to insert the password. Maybe my problem is screen.
I now found the commands to paste the new password ((C-a ], C-a C-])) and I will try this first.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Rkzr wrote:The ToonRooter script works fine on a other Toon with sn 15, so thats not the problem.

I used the manual from rboers. When I go through all the steps the last one is to reboot (resume 0xa1f00000).
After this step the bootloader from Toon looks fuzzy and i'm not able to insert the password. Maybe my problem is screen.
I now found the commands to paste the new password ((C-a ], C-a C-])) and I will try this first.
Or just use the new published software root method
Member of the Toon Software Collective
Rkzr
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Rkzr »

You are right! The new published software works like a charm.
Thank you guys for sharing and all the work!
EchoNL
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by EchoNL »

Rkzr wrote:Hi guys,

I'm trying to root the Toon of my neighbour.
This is a Toon with sn 16, so I've installed openOCD on my RPI4 and using a JTAG cable with the pinout mentioned in the TooonRooter readme.

Everything works fine until the last step:
"Now the Toon loads the “hacked” u-boot loader which has the password “toon”."

I'm able to access the Toon on Serial0 with screen but it look very fuzzy and the password is not accepted and also the session is constantly terminating.
I've tried to connect with putty but this isn't working (error: unable to open serial port).

Does anyone has an idea? Thnx!
My case: TOON 1 R10 stuck in activation screen, Hardware used Rpi4 and later Rpi3 and JTAG usb CP2102

Sadly i can't use the new method due to activation code screen https://github.com/ToonSoftwareCollective/Root-A-Toon So i used the https://github.com/martenjacobs/ToonRooter installed openOCD and started it with a Rapsberry pi 4, no luck and it didn't start the process.
After this i followed the manual way and tried a day with a Raspberry pi 4 no luck. Used the new rpi4.cfg but no luck. After this i used my colleague Raspberry pi 3 and everything goes easy without problems. No problems with Halt or loading boot file. Didn't tried the ToonRooter with Raspberry pi 3.

Steps performed;

sudo pcmanfm

Place the folder 'rootToon' with the files ed20.cfg / raspberrypi.cfg / u-boot.bin in the root of the Pi.

git clone --recursive git://git.code.sf.net/p/openocd/code openocd

cd openocd

sudo apt install make libtool libtool-bin pkg-config autoconf automake texinfo libusb-1.0 libusb-dev

{
./bootstrap &&\
./configure --enable-sysfsgpio\
--enable-bcm2835gpio \
--prefix=/usr\
&&\
make -j4
} 2>&1 | tee openocd_build.log

sudo make install

Install Telnet sudo apt-get install telnet

Open new terminal and enter

cd ~/rootToon

telnet localhost 4444

And enter the follow commands:

soft_reset_halt

reset halt

load_image u-boot.bin 0xa1f00000

Open Putty and select com(port) and speed 115200
copy the word toon

resume 0xa1f00000

and paste toon at 2sec password in putty screen

After this you can proceed 8)
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Still need to check why people have problemens with pi4 on toonrooter. But nice to see you got it rooted using a pi3.
toonnoot

Post by toonnoot »

I'm still having issues with the rpi4 and the toonrooter script...
The R10 toons and the rpi4 are still not a winning team when using the ToonRooter or ToonRecovery apps.

has anyone found a solution?
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

toonnoot wrote:I'm still having issues with the rpi4 and the toonrooter script...
The R10 toons and the rpi4 are still not a winning team when using the ToonRooter or ToonRecovery apps.

Did you try the software rooter first?

Pi rooting is only necessary if that doesn't work for you
toonnoot

Post by toonnoot »

TheHogNL wrote:
toonnoot wrote:I'm still having issues with the rpi4 and the toonrooter script...

Did you try the software rooter first?

Pi rooting is only necessary if that doesn't work for you
Yes, but it doesn't work with xx.100 software version devices (Toon1).
Also ToonRecovery doesn't work.

The problems occur when the toon needs to a reset, and if you do a manual reset the boot image is deleted again.
Seems like it's an issue with the TRST port?
toonnoot

Post by toonnoot »

Also, after the rooting process the script seems to freeze for a few minutes at this point:

Downloading http://feed.hae.int/feeds/qb2/oe/angeli ... armv5e.ipk.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

toonnoot wrote:Also, after the rooting process the script seems to freeze for a few minutes at this point:

This is because the toon has still an active firmware update ready to install (or failed and can not get passed it).
toonnoot

Post by toonnoot »

TheHogNL wrote:
toonnoot wrote:Also, after the rooting process the script seems to freeze for a few minutes at this point:

This is because the toon has still an active firmware update ready to install (or failed and can not get passed it).
Not sure, this was a fresh install.

The script freezes there, and then throws this error:
Collected errors:
* opkg_download: Failed to download http://feed.hae.int/feeds/qb2/oe/angeli ... armv5e.ipk: Couldn't connect to server.
* opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download libqt5websockets5. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package libqt5websockets5.

then it continues and finishes the rooting process, though not sure if we are now missing a crucial part for the future updates?
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

OK this file is part of the qt5 websocket library which the rooting firmware update script installs afer a successful firmware update. Some custom toonstore apps use qt5 websockets and therefore we need it.

Somehow this library failed to install after a previous attempt to use the update-rooted.sh script to update the firmware of the toon to a higher level. A next firmware update will retry it.

You can also do it manually.
First start the protected VPN with 'sh update-rooted.sh -o'. Then update the opkg library with 'opkg update' and then install the library 'opkg install libqt5websockets5'
Type 'reboot' afterwards.
BillytheKid
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by BillytheKid »

Hello,

I'm trying to root my Toon 2 but running into some difficulties. What I have:

- Toon 2, not activated and executed the recovery procedure (https://github.com/ToonSoftwareCollective/Root-A-Toon, Toon 2 recovery procedure)
- Raspberry Pi 3B+, running Raspbian Lite (32 bit) hotspot (wireless, 192.168.4.x, LAN 192.168.1.x)
- Installed tcpdump on the Pi using sudo apt install tcpdump
- cloned into https://github.com/ToonSoftwareCollective
- connecting Toon to internet via the Pi, and going into the activation screen
- executing sudo bash activate-toon.sh results in: activate-toon.sh: line 25: exit: tcpdump failed: numeric argument required

Is this a port issue because Raspbian is based on Bullseye? Or is there anything else going on / ideas how to fix this?

Cheers, Bill
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

BillytheKid wrote:Hello,

Is this a port issue because Raspbian is based on Bullseye?
Yes. For now use Raspbian Buster
(in the readme "The script is tested on Raspbian Buster so you better have that installed or be prepared to modify the script a bit.")
BillytheKid
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by BillytheKid »

Bummer. Was hoping it would work as I haven't found an Buster image for Raspberry Pi where you can install hostapd and dnsmasq on. Both are needed to create an access point..

Cheers, Bill

Return to “Toon Rooting”