The new Toon 2 has been rooted!

Everything about rooting Toons 1 and 2.

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

The new Toon 2 has been rooted!

Post by TheHogNL »

The Toon Software Collective proudly announces to have gained root access to the new Toon2. As a proof, please checkout the output of the cat /proc/cpuinfo command:

Code: Select all

qb-xxxxxxxx:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
model name      : ARMv7 Processor rev 10 (v7l)
BogoMIPS        : 6.00
Features        : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpd32
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x2
CPU part        : 0xc09
CPU revision    : 10

Hardware        : Freescale i.MX6 SoloX (Device Tree)
Revision        : 0000
Serial          : 0000000000000000
We want to stress that gaining access to Toon2 is a delicate process, that requires great care, accuracy and ample experience. While Toon1 was easily opened by just using your fingernails, when trying to open Toon2 without proper experience and tools, the display is easily damaged beyond repair. Furthermore, we assume that Quby will try and block the access to Toon2 even further in future hardware releases. In the development of Toon1 we saw similar behaviour, when the rooting process was published, Quby made futile efforts to make getting access to Toon harder. The u-boot password was changed, which by the way didn't stop us from getting access.

Considering this, we have decided not to publish the rooting method, at least for the time being. Instead, we offer to root your Toon2 for the cost of shipment (to and from the rooting location). Having said that, a payment in kind is always welcome ;-). If you prefer to bring it yourself and pick it up later, that's fine too. Rooting Toon2 is a time-consuming exercise, so do not expect to have it done while you wait.
If you are an active forum member, and you're interested in having your Toon2 rooted, just post a request here, and we will contact you. There is a chance that we will limit the number of 'free' rootings, but in view of the probably fairly limited number of Toon2's distributed among the forum members, we do not expect an avalanche of rooting requests just yet.

Because Toon2 has a higher screen resolution, some of us have already started on editing our custom apps to make them better fit Toon2. And, since Toon2 has more memory, more speed, and more sensors giving new possibilities, we expect some new developers to join us and start developing new custom apps for Toon2.

We did inform Quby first before announcing this to the forum. Their reply was: "We just had a hack-a-toon event and they found 8 ways to get in, in only two hours. So you are really slow." This means we need to find the other 7 also, or maybe 8 as we don't know if our method is one of their 8 ways. So guys and girls, pick up the game and look for all these other entries even harder!
Member of the Toon Software Collective
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: The new Toon 2 has been rooted!

Post by Toonz »

Well done TheHogNL !!!!!

Note that the ToonStore needs a revision as well. ToonStore 1.1.5 does install on the Toon 2 but you cannot install any of the apps via ToonStore.
This is due to a slightly different handling of the signature keys on Toon 2.
I will have to update the ToonStore installer to become Toon 2 compatible.
This will be release 1.1.6 and posted in the ToonStore topic.

Also Toon 2 will need its own version of the resource files, a lot of work to do :-).
So stay tuned as new stuff will show up in the coming days :-)
member of the Toon Software Collective
flamingbob
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by flamingbob »

Awesome News. Interesting to think also about the other 7 ways to do it. Time now go get my hands on one of these. Very good News and good work.
TerrorSource
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TerrorSource »

Great News! Really hoping that this News will have people create more apps for the ToonStore and that the community will grow :)
Rudolf

Post by Rudolf »

Nice!

I'm definitely interested in a rooted Toon2.
uAlex73

Post by uAlex73 »

Cool! This makes a Toon2 interesting now.
DomotiGa / Z-Wave / RFXCom / Visonic PowerMaster / Home Assistant / Zigbee2MQTT / DSMR Reader / Toon1 (rooted)
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

Toon 2 prices will go up on Marktplaats :D
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

Small addition: The toolchain for this toon will not be published by Quby. Our own development is well on its way, we can already build code that runs on Toon2. The toolchain still needs some tweaking in the kernel and bootloader configs. Then it will also be possible to test code in a qemu environment.
Rudolf

Post by Rudolf »

I'll be picking up mine this evening. I'll happily act as guinea pig for your rooting service.

Developing software using Qemu sounds awesome. Exciting times ahead! :D
mAiden

Post by mAiden »

Nice job guys.
definitely interested in a rooted Toon2
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

Hi all,

I can tell that developing apps on a Toon 2 is sooooooo much more convenient compared to the old Toon.
A restart of the gui is done well within a minute (total cold boot time is 1 min 20 sec or so, compared to 3-4 minutes on Toon 1).
As a thermostat on the wall the difference is less obvious. It reacts faster but how often do you touch the Toon on the wall?
But for developers it is a must have I would say.

Kind regardz,

Toonz
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Rudolf wrote:I'll be picking up mine this evening. I'll happily act as guinea pig for your rooting service.

Developing software using Qemu sounds awesome. Exciting times ahead! :D
Send me a DM and I'll help you.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

flamingbob wrote:Awesome News. Interesting to think also about the other 7 ways to do it. Time now go get my hands on one of these. Very good News and good work.
Thinking about this. In a earlier attempt to do a hack-a-toon most of the issue's where related to the eneco app and the eneco portal. Not the Toon itself (maybe 1 or 2).

I think the 8 ways to get into the Toon 2, as Quby mentioned, is just not real. I think these are:
- ways to modify the mobile app
- ways to do something with the api
- ways to collect stuff from the portal
- and maybe 1 or 2 possible entries into the toon itself

Learning from the video of the 'game of toon' from Tek Tok, all possible methods where 'if and only if' possibilities. No real methods. Therefore I think those 8 ways are just as 'not proven' as back then. Interesting fact is that Quby, while calling our method "why so late, we already found 8 way's in 2 hours", is eager to send in a fresh Toon2 for me to hack into. This proofs to me that they are really curious that we really did it. If there where indeed 8 proven methods, they would not be that curious.
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

Probably. But I bet there are ways other than ours. We just need to find them ;-).
We are only scratching the surface of Toon2 until now. Exciting times ahead.
BrainHunt
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by BrainHunt »

Great work guys!!

Looking forward to all the future possibilities of the Toon 2!

Return to “Toon Rooting”