Toon getting slow

If your (rooted) Toon doesn't do what it's supposed to, post here. Dutch allowed / Posten in 't Nederlands toegestaan.

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

EastXIII
Starting Member
Starting Member

Toon getting slow

Post by EastXIII »

Hello Toon Guru´s and Aficionados,

I've rooted and then updated my Toon successfully, thanks to @TheHogNL, but I noticed that the Toon is getting slow after some hours.
It is getting so slow that it won't even wake-up out of 'dim' mode for at least 10 mins after touching the screen. When I reboot with shutdown -r it's back to it's normal self.
I'm guessing it's probably the memory? Or even logging that clogs the device (had that with a Pi)?
Since I'm very new to Toon I really don't have a clue where to start looking.
Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Toon getting slow

Post by marcelr »

Code: Select all

This gives a list of running processes, including processor load, memory usage etc.
Normally, processor load should be well below 0.5. During boot-up (and starting the gui), loads may go up to 2-3. A load above 5.0 will grind your toon slowly to a halt.
If you take the time to watch, you might be able to see the memory being filled up slowly. Then find the offending process :-). Code on a long-time running device like toon should be absolutely leak-free.
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

Also, don't install too many custom apps, just the ones you need (to keep as much RAM available for the running processes).
On a Toon 2 you don't have this limitation anymore.
member of the Toon Software Collective
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

EastXIII wrote: Or even logging that clogs the device (had that with a Pi)?
Did I maybe forgot to remove the /var/log/qt logging when troubleshooting your toon?
Check in /etc/inittab ... there is a line which starts QT and it should normally be directed to dev null (>/dev/null). Maybe it still logging to a file (>/var/log/qt)
Member of the Toon Software Collective
EastXIII
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by EastXIII »

TheHogNL wrote:
Did I maybe forgot to remove the /var/log/qt logging when troubleshooting your toon?
Check in /etc/inittab ... there is a line which starts QT and it should normally be directed to dev null (>/dev/null). Maybe it still logging to a file (>/var/log/qt)
Even the experts make mistakes!
But not in this case, it is indeed directed to dev null!

The ‘top’ command shows that “qmf/sbin/qt-gui” uses 50 - 60% CPU when active. However, this is for a short time. Normal total CPU load is low.

To be fair, I can’t reproduce my initial problem anymore. It is now faster than it’s ever been before.

The only thing I changed was the settings of ‘afvalkalender’ which now works. Same for “Dashticz” allthough this does not show any switches at all.

I’ll continue to monitor ‘top’ but I’m hoping Toon stays this quick!
Thanks for the fast help everyone!
jozg

Post by jozg »

Hello EastXIII,

I also noticed that dashticz for toon really slows down the toon system.
Therefore i deleted this nice app.

Instead i use the ha-bridge emulation solution, to control devices in domoticz via toon.
The manual can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=100&t=11708

And then manually edit your config_hdrv_hue.xml file according to this post:
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=11777&p=83254#p83254

And then your good to go.

Regards,
EastXIII
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by EastXIII »

Hmm thanks, I'm definitely trying this!
Got my Dashticz to work on Toon and haven't noticed the slowdown yet but hey, I just got it to work.

Thanks, i'm allready on it!

Return to “Toon issues and support (Nederlands toegestaan)”