Toon seems stuck in a "bootloop"

If your (rooted) Toon doesn't do what it's supposed to, post here. Dutch allowed / Posten in 't Nederlands toegestaan.

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

Patrickkk
Starting Member
Starting Member

Toon seems stuck in a "bootloop"

Post by Patrickkk »

Hi all,

Last week I've updated my rooted Toon from 4.4.21 to 4.22.7 (with 4.10 as an intermediate update, which was required). I've used the updater script domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=96& ... ;start=300 from this forum to help me with this process.

The update seemed to go fine, but now I'm having an issue and my Toon is not starting anymore, seems to be in a "bootloop".

- I still have SSH access.
- Using the updater script (sh update-rooted.sh -f) I can sometimes get past the booting screen. However, sometime later it will automatically reboot and the Toon isn't getting past the bootscreen.
- I have forced an update to a lower firmware and to the same (4.22.7) firmware. Nothing helped.

Anyone has an idea what I can do? Luckily it's not that cold at the moment but I'd wish to have an operational Toon again.

Thanks in advance!
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Toon seems stuck in a "bootloop"

Post by TheHogNL »

Please try to remove (after making a backup) the file /qmf/config/config_qt-gui.xml and restart. Your problems looks like one we have seen before where the GUI wants to load a lot of tiles and crashes due to out of memory loading all these tiles.
Member of the Toon Software Collective
TerrorSource
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TerrorSource »

check the filesizes of the files in /qmf/config/
Only a few of them (rrd for example) should be bigger then 10kb.
You can rename the large files and reboot the Toon, it will re-create the files on boot.
Patrickkk
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Patrickkk »

Hi guys,

Thanks for you replies.

I checked the folder and there were indeed some files with >15kb file size, especially the config_qt-gui.xml.

I renamed the above file and afterwards my Toon was working normally again with a "normal sized" file.

Will do a comparison just to see the differences. I'll check the other files soon but for now this seemed to be doing the trick.

Thanks again!
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Question: did you use the 'tile rotation' mod anytime before or after the update? We believe this could cause the issue you have seen but haven't seen any proof.
But you are the third or fourth one with this same issue.
Patrickkk
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Patrickkk »

As far as I can remember i haven't used the tile rotation function. I did however touch the TSC "hide default applications" and "hide toon logo" functionality just after the update ("hey something new.."). It should have performed a GUI restart but actually got stuck and I had to remove power from the unit.

This is where the problems started, but difficult to say if it was caused by the update in general or the "TSC" menu.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Those disable-toon-feature options will not affect the tiles in anyway. That is for sure not the reason.

But lets wait for the next victim :-)
michel30

Post by michel30 »

@TheHogNL so your tip is when there is a next update switch of 'tile rotation' tiles :)
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

I would rather disable the function first :)

I'm not sure yet where this issue is coming from. So I first need a reproducable issue.

Return to “Toon issues and support (Nederlands toegestaan)”