Toon 1: Screen stays black

If your (rooted) Toon doesn't do what it's supposed to, post here. Dutch allowed / Posten in 't Nederlands toegestaan.

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, TerrorSource, Toonz

Toon 1: Screen stays black

Postby PowerAce » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:51 pm

Hi all,

I've a Toon v1 which is running at FW 5.2.11 for a few weeks now without any issues. A few days ago i noticed some strange behavior that wasn't there before. Normally when Toon has switched off the screen you can just hit it and Toon will wake up after a few seconds showing you the normal screen. In my case when i touch the screen Toon shows the normal screen but the screen immediately fades to black again and i can't see anything anymore. The funny thing is that after three minutes or so the screen switches to dim state like it should. Touching the screen again same behavior appears effectively locking me out, i can't see anything on the screen while it should be 'on'.

Has anybody seen this before? I'm not sure if this is a hardware or a software failure. And what can be a solution? I already power cycled the unit by taking it off its bracked and rebooting it but that didn't solve my problem.

Thanks in advance,

PowerAce
PowerAce
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Toon 1: Screen stays black

Postby TheHogNL » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:43 pm

Could be just out-of-memory and therefore slow in response.
Member of the Toon Software Collective
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Toonz » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:09 pm

Try removing some custom apps and see it that solves the issue....(to proof the out-of-memory theory)
member of the Toon Software Collective
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby PowerAce » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:24 pm

Ok , thanks for the options.

It is not slow response i think otherwise i would get the normal screen back after a while right? This setup has been running for about a year without any issues, only the firmware was updated a few weeks ago and i disabled all memory consuming default options from Toon which i don't use. Coming weekend when i'm home again i will access Toon by SSH to see what is the memory usage at this moment and report back. Is there a possibility to safely remove installed apps without having access to the GUI?

Thanks.
PowerAce
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby Toonz » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:22 pm

yes you can remove apps via the command prompt with the opkg remove command, examples:
opkg remove buienradar
opkg remove wastecollection
opkg remove newsreader

This gives the same result as removing the apps via de ToonStore.
member of the Toon Software Collective
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Toon issues and support (Nederlands toegestaan)