Help in software choice

Pop your questions regarding Home automation software here.....
Stian_Indal_Haugseth
Starting Member
Starting Member

Help in software choice

Post by Stian_Indal_Haugseth »

Hi, I'm new here on the forum and need some help. Firstly I'm looking to simplify lighting and controlling heating panels with z-wave. I have a few nexa dimmers and plugs and use tellstick duo at the moment. I want to switch to z-wave instead.

I have bought a z-wave usb stick, thermostat (sensor) and a wall plug switch. To be able to use my nexas I have also ordered a RFXCOM transceiver.

After reading a while I'm still not sure what software to use. I'm considering Homeseer, Domoticz and DomotiGa. Maybe even a Vera Edge at some point. Are there other good options.

What I would like to do:
- Temperature control zones with night saving. Preferably with a quick override if my wife is cold one evening :)
- Be able to monitor and control from remote
- Native Android (with widget) and IOS apps. Wife has iPhone so she needs to simply change lighting and hopefully control temperature.
- Very good WAF!
- Run on Linux.
- Regarding price I am leaning more towards Vera Edge than Homeseer. Having a standalone box makes the house easier to sell at some point :)
raymonvdm

Re: Help in software choice

Post by raymonvdm »

I would first tryout Domoticz to see if it will support the Heating Panels

I have on LC13 and it is not working in HS2/HS3 of OpenHAB so you will have some trial and error moments
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
Stian_Indal_Haugseth
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Stian_Indal_Haugseth »

Thanks, I wil give it a go first and maybe a HS trial second if I'm not happy.

The LC13 is a radiator thermostat? I will only use simple wall plug switches and old electric panels. This should be supported in most software :) But I'm new to z-wave and probably have some surprises ahead.

Stian
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

The LC13 is indeed a radiator thermostat, but it just got it working in OpenHAB this weekend :D Make sure you`re socket z-wave switches support the power usage rating of you electric panels !!
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
strips
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by strips »

Thanks.

I'm testing Domoticz at the moment but it has problems with gen5 Z-wave devices. So I'm not getting anywhere.

Tried installing openHab on Linux but got put of having to hand code the config files. Maybe give it another go when I have more time.
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

HS3 is the most straight forward software product available but it is "expensive" (unless you buy a license second hand) There are a lot of opensource options and i have run Domotiga in the past, and i`m now running Openhab on one part of the house. The other part of the house is still controlled by HS2

It is possible to install openhab using apt-get which makes it somewhat more easy to install there is also an add on named HABmin. I recently gave HabMin another shot and it makes the configuration of Openhab a little bit easier (less config file edits)
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

Fibaro is a nice system but you should check if it has all you want. The thing with *every* software usually with "us all wanters" is that it doesn't do all. I used to be a HS3 user, but the lack of "progress" and GUI like interface that was updated that dates back to 1980 wasn't for me. Fibaro has one of the most "out of the box and go" experience compared to most product but its also expensive and they tend to lack behind bug fixes and such just like any other product.

Its like programming, try a few languages and you prefer one. Even though you know another one could be better, the one that "sticks" is the one you like the most and go with.
// Erik (binkey.nl)
strips
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by strips »

I have been testing a lot the last half year

Domoticz:
Too unstable with USB-devices and a developer that closes a bug report about this issue and says it's impossible that this is a bug. RFXCOM and USB ZW stick where the devices in Domoticz swap. They remain the same in Linux but swap around in Domoticz. If this is not a bug I do not know what is. Then there is a bit slow support of devices through open-zwave. I might go back to this one some time.

VeraEdge and UI7:
Oh my! Where to start. UI5 was a good UI I have read. The new UI7 is slow, messy and requires extremely many clicks for any config or changes. Creating Scenes is a joke! Then there is the whole issue of plug-ins. Vera does really do nothing out of the box. All it can do is turn stuff on and off, dim lights. There is no scheduling or advanced stuff without programming LUA or installing 3rd party plug-ins developed by various people. Vera has no support for these plugins and are often pretty unstable and/or lacking in documentation. Not very satisfying when the plugin (PLEG) that does all the good stuff was messed up in UI7. I find it difficult to use. Still this is the controller I use everyday but only very simple stuff. No scheduling of thermostats which I would like to do. Support is ok and they respond after 2 - 7 days by e-mail. I suggest to call them if it is urgent and they are pretty helpful. New FW releases come regularly and do often break stuff. Relative quick to add devices.

Zipato Zipabox:
Looks great and feels cool. Snappy new UI but unfortunatly I found it a bit buggy. It does have great potential but I find it hard to organize my ZW nodes. I'm not able to rename the main nodes so if I want to choose one to associate with I only get a list of Fibaro Dimmers. I do not think all the features are in place yet so I get a feel of pre-beta or alpha release. I spent a few days trying to do something simple like adjusting a included SRT321 thermostat. But could not figure this out. Someone at their forum let me know I have to create a Virtual Thermostat to use a physical thermostat. Even it shows as a thermostat in the UI. Not very intuitive and nothing I could find in any documentation. Then there is a issue I read about if my internet line goes down. I'm really not sure if my mobile app will be able to control my ZipaBox. I have read about some issues and limitations here.

This box will be returned to the store! Not ready for release if you ask me. I'll stay with the kids toy Vera for now.

HomeSeer:
I barely touched this one. Gave it a short try and found it a bit old in feel and not very intuitive. HS3 might have been my best bet and I might give it another try now I see what Vera and Zipato is all about.

Fibaro HC2:
Will be my next box. I have commited to Z-Wave and want the best experience with most stuff out of the box. Only problem I have with this one of lack of native 433MHz. There is a possibility to use RFXCOM with a 3rd party server and that might be my work around to access 433MHz sensors. I’m replacing all my 433MHz dimmers and switches so that is not a big issue. I will make sure to order from a site that has a return warranty if not satisfied. I don’t want to be stuck with an expensive box if it is not to my liking.

I’m starting to see a trend here. And it looks like I might be the problem ☺
Last edited by strips on Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

I have looked ad all the differences once and decided to by a pc with software and not a vendor specific hardware controller. Now i can switch software without the change of hardware. I have tried to switch software 3 times now and each time HomeSeer is the weapon of choice due to the available plugins for the hardware i use :-) ( And because the wife likes HStouch)
strips
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by strips »

Thanks,

I do have a USB stick that HS3 supports. I might give it another go before burning up £500 just to test HC2. I have read somewhere that HSTouch is quite difficult to set up?
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

Well your not alone, 4th entry https://fibaro4u.uservoice.com/forums/2 ... ilters/top

If they would open up the creation of your own plugins (they did briefly, then turned it off, security/whatever reasons) then i am sure it will be a matter of time.
// Erik (binkey.nl)
vincenttor

Post by vincenttor »

I have tried domotics and have looked at domotiga but i liked homeseer the most.
Since like already said its supporting allot of devices and the forum is very active, also the Hstouch to make your own screens is a nice option.
It can be difficult indeed but with allot of reading on the forum and asking you will get there.
The basics aren't even that hard actually.

I would say use homeseer, even with the "old" look, i understood your thoughts about the old look haha
But then again, its just the settings screen, with HStouch you can make it as nice as you want.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

That is in my case also a downside of hstouch. There is no "out of the box" hstouch screens, that just work. You have to actually design everything yourself and create all the logic behind it. I do not mind some work, but it tends to suck up all your time.
// Erik (binkey.nl)
vincenttor

Post by vincenttor »

Yes it does take some time to get it like you want.
But to make it basic and working does not take much time, from there on you can go further step by step
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

Why are people making such a drama of the 'old' looks of HS2 or even HS3 sometimes? Those are settings screen to setup your system. It's not something you have to do for hours every day. Over here there are no screens or anything else in the house give shows that the house is automated. The house just responds to my behavior. In fact i am the interface. I don't like to be the butler for an automated house. The house should just serve me in a natural way.
Bram

Return to “Questions & Discussions Forum”