somfy rts 485 transmitter art 1810803

Pop your questions regarding Home automation software here.....
labium
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

somfy rts 485 transmitter art 1810803

Post by labium »

Zoals beloofd kom ik terug op uw vraag over de RTS interface.
Deze is vanaf volgende week leverbaar onder artikelnummer 1810803
Voor verdere informatie en levering verwijzen wij u graag naar de firma Roelandschap BV
Als Somfy leverancier zullen zij de verkoop en ondersteuning verzorgen.

Hierbij da adresgegevens van de firma Roelandschap BV
Zuiderweg-Oost 1a, 1676 GN Twisk, Telefoon: 06-54930469

today received by post

no drivers , no software. no power plug.
it is a simpel model in comparison with the american model which has a rj45 for the rs 485 connection such as to be bought by the av oulet store in the usa
there are 4 pins for the rs 485 connection

see picture 1
pin 1 not to connect, pin 2 is rs 485 bus + ,pin 3 rs 485 bus - ,and pin 4 is ground.
i have a rj45 to serial converter , bought for the powermax pro programming.

which pin should i connect to what pin on the rj 45 plug ?
or do i need this for connection to a windows pc ?

http://www.robot-electronics.co.uk/htm/ ... 5_tech.htm
maybe they dont want to encourage other total home automation systems as there own.

see somfy link below
http://www.somfytahoma.com/

labium
Attachments
back or front
back or front
P1012844.JPG (27.03 KiB) Viewed 32774 times
front or back
front or back
P1012843.JPG (26.95 KiB) Viewed 32774 times
labium
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: somfy rts 485 transmitter art 1810803

Post by labium »

i am now trying to communicatie via usb and a rs485 ftdi chip to the somfy interface.
i have connected the wires 3 + to plus - to - and ground to ground.
usb rs485 interface http://www.robot-electronics.co.uk/htm/ ... 5_tech.htm
the formulas in the excel worksheet to create a command is correct, i have checked them with the examples given in the attached ment
so far no reaktion from the interface.
I just send the data to send to the rs485 device.
is there anything i miss in rs485 communication ?
installation guide:
http://www.somfysmarthome.co.uk/pdfs/RS ... mitter.pdf

labium
Attachments
Somfy_(1).xlsx
excel calculated commando's for somfy
(15.35 KiB) Downloaded 1260 times
Last edited by labium on Tue May 17, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
labium
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by labium »

labium
Last edited by labium on Tue May 17, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
labium
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by labium »

the converter usb rs485 which i ordered earlier doesnt works it was one with ftdi chip.
i just received my theHexin HXSP-2108F: USB to RS 485 converter ordered for 10 euro with 2 dollar transportkosts from singapore at budgetgadgets.com.
http://www.hexin-technology.com.
and it works with the somfy transmitter 1810803, you get communications working so if you order such a transmitter you also have to order this converter.
the commands are described in the 3 documents of the last post in this thread.
you only have to connect the + with the - .
i only don't understand why usb rs485 converters based on the ftdi chip don'twork.

labium
labium
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by labium »

the transmitter works at last, 30 days after purchase and on friday the 13th.

together with another domoticaforum member edek is the transmitter working , we can register somfy motors in the device, and we can get them up and down.
you need the in this thread mentioned Hexin HXSP-2108F usb rs 485 converter and use the commands in the in this trhead mentioned documents.
use the program button on the rear of your telis 1-4 remote to set the motor in learning new remotes state, not the up and down buttons on the front.
we hope that other customers now have sufficient information how to get this thing to work.
not all commands mentioned by somfy are clearly and tranparent documented yet and understood by me
that is especially true for set_open_prog(98H)

the next step is integrating it to homeseer.

labium
hidethewires
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by hidethewires »

Hi Labium,

many thanks for your experiences with the RS485 RTS Transmitter and the manuals that I have not seen before. Did you know that Somfy make a USB to RS485 lead and they sell it with a memory stick that has a RS485 demo prog on it? The part number is 9016868 and it is called RS485 Demo Tool Kit. In the UK it is about 50 euro + tax. It's very easy to set up. Where did you find the spread sheet with the commands?

HTW
labium
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by labium »

hi hidethewires,

do you have alink to the demo toolkit i cant get an google result with that number ?

we have it working now, i din't know about the somfy usb stuff. somfy isnt very genereus with information, the reseller either,a week ago (7d) i have send the reseller a email request for extra dokuments but still no answer.

we had to beg seriously for the dokuments shown, ,without no tranmitter can be programmed completely. I have asked explicit if i could publish them, they are a to big filesize for this forum and splittig pdf i tryed it 3 hours and than stopped in agony. we still have some answers about some commands .
i think he also can read input from solar wind and rain stuff from somfy but no word about that from somfy.

the excel spreadsheet is my own production , with somfy dokuments shown as source.

labium
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

send me the file and i will put it on the file section of forum
I already put all the Somfy files of this topic there

http://files.domoticaforum.eu/index.php?cam=/Somfy
also can be found above in the menu options of forum

and yes agree about Somfy, that company needs to open up more and help you guys :)
hidethewires
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by hidethewires »

Hi labium and Bwired,

I agree with your comments regarding the lack of info from Somfy but to be fair they have a lot of products to support and they are going in so many different directions that they probably don't have the staff available. In the UK the staff do a fantastic job. The same goes for dealers, many of whom may not be interested in automation, just in supplying and maintaining the numerous different kinds of motors that Somfy make. No, I don't work for Somfy!

HTW
labium
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by labium »

the demo tool is for resellers i think ?

mr hidethewires i think you are from great brittain , i order more stuff in the uk, do you know who sells this transmitter in the uk , maybe the buyers can get more support then here, that is capitalism or sound concurrence.

do you know why other usb converters based on the ftdi chip doesnt work with somfy rs485 ?

labium
hidethewires
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by hidethewires »

Hi labium,

you might have a point there as I am a reseller. It did not occur to me that the RS485 Demo Tool Kit was only available to resellers and I have not been informed of any restrictions.

No, I don't know why other converters don't work with the Somfy kit. Do you know if the 'other' converters work with the least significant bit first? This is according to the spec sheet RS485 Transmitter Data Sheet that Bwired has at http://files.domoticaforum.eu/Somfy/

Unfortunately I know nothing about the other converters. I shall ask my friends in the US.

HTW
labium
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by labium »

that least significant bit first, i could make a excel formule to set the least significant bit first and then send it to the converter ?
see if the other converters then work. is that why the actual data are inverted raw data, what is the purpose of that , i thought least significant bit means 'reverted' (wiki)you can do that before you send the data.
inverted byte is 255-byte in hex.

ftdi could make a choice in the configuration screen in the configuration settings least significant bit first ?
i have send an email to ftdi support why the normal sold usb rs485 converters based on ftdi chip doesnt work with somfy rs 485 and the one somfy sells in brittain with ftdi chip together with the demo tool and mentioned in

http://files.domoticaforum.eu/Somfy/RS4 ... l%20IG.pdf
does work.
Last edited by labium on Thu May 19, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
labium
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by labium »

http://files.domoticaforum.eu/Somfy/RS4 ... l%20IG.pdf

read and awe : this pdf file written by somfy states clearly on page 2

"If commissioning for the first time, you will require the following hardware and software
in order to communicate with the Somfy RS485 products:
Somfy RS485 Demo Tool Software
USB to RS485 converter etc etc."

i dont understand somfy netherlands anymore.

they have to offer this demotool package to customers of the rts rs 485 transmitter.

in brittain this is the aproach:

http://www.somfysmarthome.co.uk/promotion/index.html

labium
labium
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by labium »

1 week a functioning rs485 rts transmitter with homeseer .
it works with homeseer
it has a perfect transmitter range: 3 stocks with concrete layers , no problem in reaching every somfy motor (12) in the house formerly controlled by 3 telis 4 remotes.
commands doesnt disappear in the air.
still some questions about some commands mentioned in the installation guide and no answer from somfy or reseller:
the open-program frame what is its specific use ?
the telis 4 rts remotes used until now have two motor program modes:
1 press up and down button simultaniously: you can set begin , end and favorite position of the roller shade
2 press program button on rear to let the motor learn new remotes eg the rs485 transmitter.
and the motor can be brought back in factory setting by disconnecting the power in a special manner
are the altus motors able to be programmed to feed back there respons or positon ?

labium
hidethewires
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by hidethewires »

Hi Labium,

I think that the open program frame allows for different length frames of frame. The frame is made up of:

Byte 1 Message, e.g. CTRL_POSITION i.e. 80h
Byte 2 Length of frame. This can vary because the data value within the frame varies from 1 byte to 3 bytes, e.g. for CTRL_POSITION message the two bytes 04h 02h would send a down or off to channel 4. The booklet supplied (page 53 onward) is a bit misleading as it refers to data length but I don't think this info is sent in the message. The data length refers to the data 04h 02h part and not the total length of the frame.
Byte 3 Reserved to signify whether the message is sent (05h) or received (50h). This is missed out in pages 52 - 57 of the booklet.
Byte 4 - 6 Reversed (Least Significant Bit First or LSBF) Node ID of the transmitter. No, I don't know why it's reversed.
Byte 7 - 9 Reversed (LSBF) Node ID of the receiver.
Byte 10 Data value (8 bits) Data depends on action requested in byte 1 above. E.g. in CTRL_POSITION this byte would be 04h for channel 4.
Byte 11 Possible second value of data if required by the message. E.g. in CTRL_POSITION this would be 02h for down or off.
Byte 12 Possible third value of data if required.
Byte n-1 Checksum
Byte n Checksum

This would give a raw data message of
80h 0Dh 05h 00h FFh FFh 02h 00h 05h 04h 02h that would translate to
CTRL_POSITION 13 bytes (after the checksum is added) transmit SRC DEST DATA
after inverting the raw data the message would be:

7Fh F2h FAh FFh 00h 00h FDh FFh FAh FBh FDh. The checksum would be 08h 58h and when added this would give a final message of 13 bytes (oDh):
7Fh F2h FAh FFh 00h 00h FDh FFh FAh FBh FDh 08h 58h
I realise that you already know this but I decided to post it as it may help somebody else who is struggling (like me) with the booklet supplied.
I'm now looking for a hex inverter and summation app so that I can work out my messages. Any ideas?

HTW

Return to “Questions & Discussions Forum”