Backups?

Pop your questions regarding Home automation software here.....
ludom

Backups?

Post by ludom »

Hi All,

I was wondering how you guys thinking about Backing up your Domotica system and how you do this.

I am running a virtual Linux CentOS6 server for my home-brewed software and scheduled a MySQL dump every night around 00:05 AM, I write this dump over a mounted network share to my Windows Fileserver. When the MySQL dump is finished my system is cleaning-up old/expired records and optimizing the tables (removing table overheads etc). The system (PHP) files (including logs, camera captures, recordings, etc) are backupped once every week (on sundays), also to the mounted share.

For now this is working well for me, my database is currently small, around 5 MB in size (I am logging data for 11 months now) and quickly backed-up but is growing every day. I should see how I gonna do this in a few years from now, when the database is around a few hundred MB. Enough time to think about :D
Home-brewed HA system based on Linux, PHP5, MySQL and Beanstalkd
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Backups?

Post by Digit »

I've seen 'accidents' with data happening way too often, so that's why I have at least 2 copies (excl. the original I mean) of my important data. Local, but also outdoors, 1 km away from home on a 2nd NAS. Every night 440 GB is copied (synced) to there with rsync, which takes about 3 hours over a 8 mbit DSL line. And if I need those 440 GB I jump on my bike and pick up that 2nd NAS so I don't have to download 440 GB before I have it back :wink:

PS.
440 GB is not all domotica data of course but also home media like pictures, home video, etc. etc. - everything you don't want to miss or can't reproduce in some way.
ludom

Post by ludom »

Nice to do this off-site! I had ideas to do this also (place a NAS at my work or something:)). Maybe something for the future:)
Home-brewed HA system based on Linux, PHP5, MySQL and Beanstalkd
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

I manually make a copy of my HomeSeer folder once in a while (seem to be a month for now) (WindowsXPVM)

The copy of the backup is placed on my storage home folder which is automatically syncing to my offsite storage in the datacenter
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

ludom wrote:Nice to do this off-site! I had ideas to do this also (place a NAS at my work or something:)). Maybe something for the future:)
I have 3x Syno NAS at different locations which are Rsynced also, works very good.

Return to “Questions & Discussions Forum”