ESXI on atom D525 and Homeseer VMs

Pop your questions regarding Home automation software here.....
bartbakels
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

ESXI on atom D525 and Homeseer VMs

Post by bartbakels »

Dear All,

Im planning to install ESXI on a Asus EEBOX 1501 with Atom D525. This should be possible according to several inet posts.

However does anyone have tips or experience with this? (performance, howto, ideas...)

Goal, is running 2 or 3 VMS (not necessary at the same time) with HS2, HS 3 and test and development environment.

regards

bart Bakels
Software: HS3, HStouch, Plugwise , BLBackup, BLLatestImage, Zwave, JowiHUE, PHlocation, Netcam, Harmony Plugin, ThinkingCleaner, HSPhone, Eneco Toon Script, Pushover, Visonic Powermax LV Interface

(ON ESXI )on NUC
jeroen_

Re: ESXI on atom D525 and Homeseer VMs

Post by jeroen_ »

Atom D525 does not have Intel VT (vmx) or AMD-V (svm), thus no hardware acceleration, thus ESXi won't work on it either.

See amongst others:
http://ark.intel.com/products/49490
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/FAQ#How_c ... r_AMD-V.3F

Code: Select all

jeroen@duat:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 28
model name	: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D525   @ 1.80GHz
stepping	: 10
microcode	: 0x107
cpu MHz		: 1795.560
cache size	: 512 KB
physical id	: 0
siblings	: 4
core id		: 0
cpu cores	: 2
apicid		: 0
initial apicid	: 0
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 10
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm movbe lahf_lm dtherm
bogomips	: 3591.12
clflush size	: 64
cache_alignment	: 64
address sizes	: 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:
(4 'cores' of that)

Note you can use XEN or any other software virtualisation, but they are slow. For boxes without hardware-vm I tend to use 'lxc' to virtualize part of the host. That is a shared kernel virtualisation though and thus running Windows or so won't work.
bartbakels
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by bartbakels »

Jeroen,

It is possible, without VT technology. I got it running after building a custom build (including Network card and sata driver) However i stpoped with this project because the performance of 2 VMS was 2 sluggish for me. However maybe i will try it agian in the future. Im running an EB1501 eeebox with sata-600 solidstate and 4 GB ram. And the time of testing the eebox was near to original. Im now on win7 64bit with HS2 and HS3 installed,and i styart migrating my primary HS2 server to this box. Also bougt a HS3 license today for 60 dollars du to black friday sale.

regards

bart
Software: HS3, HStouch, Plugwise , BLBackup, BLLatestImage, Zwave, JowiHUE, PHlocation, Netcam, Harmony Plugin, ThinkingCleaner, HSPhone, Eneco Toon Script, Pushover, Visonic Powermax LV Interface

(ON ESXI )on NUC
jeroen_

Post by jeroen_ »

> It is possible, without VT technology. I got it running after building a custom build (including Network card and sata driver) However i stpoped with this project because the performance of 2 VMS was 2 sluggish for me.

That is because you where using SOFTWARE virtualization, hence me stating:

>> Note you can use XEN or any other software virtualisation, but they are slow.

kriz83

Post by kriz83 »

I'm running ESXI on an intel i5.

Not what you asked, but it depends on what else you want to do with it ...
Mine runs a couple of VM's:
* unraid for file storage
* HS2 'production'
* HS2 'test'
* download
* cloud backup (using crashplan).

Investment is a bit higher, but running esxi on an atom is kinda silly ...
HomeSeer - PlugWise - RFXComm - Philips Pronto TSU9800/9600/9300
thechad
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by thechad »

Even if you could get virtualisation on an atom D525...why oh why would you! it is the wrong chip for this job.

The newer (low end) intel chips have amazingly low power consumption at idle/low CPU usage.

the extra $10 a year running cost is nothing compared to the frustration caused by using the wrong tool for the job.

Return to “Questions & Discussions Forum”