Which platform to choose

Pop your questions regarding Home automation software here.....
Bergmans
Starting Member
Starting Member

Which platform to choose

Post by Bergmans »

All, I start new with domotica. I do not have anything yet (even no smart phone :oops: ) But I want to start with home automation. Investigating the subject I see a lot of "standards" Zigbee Z-wave etc. Is there a prefered standard or can combine standards but in such a way that you are not depended on a supplier in the cloud like Zipato?
jeroen_

Re: Which platform to choose

Post by jeroen_ »

Bergmans wrote:All, I start new with domotica. I do not have anything yet (even no smart phone :oops: ) But I want to start with home automation. Investigating the subject I see a lot of "standards" Zigbee Z-wave etc. Is there a prefered standard or can combine standards but in such a way that you are not depended on a supplier in the cloud like Zipato?
You are asking a very loaded question with a lot of different answers as there are a lot of variables.
Preferences come from what people like, but that can be quite personal and based on experience or because one has that equipment for years already and does not want to bother moving to the next kind of platform.

You should start at asking:
- what your budget is
- what you want to control / measure / see
- what you already have in your house that could be controlled/measure/seen
- if you like to and can tinker with things yourself (DIY hardware / software)
- how big your house is and how the house is built (eg 433mhz does not go through concrete that well)
- if any neighbours are using competing signalling already
AshaiRey

Re: Which platform to choose

Post by AshaiRey »

Bram

Return to “Questions & Discussions Forum”