Which IO controller to use

Forum about other Home automation topics which can not be categorized in any other forum. So this needs to be Home automation Domotica related! (otherwise use Off Topic)
AshaiRey

Which IO controller to use

Post by AshaiRey »

I have a device connected to my system via RS232. If i want to read out the status then i request it via a serial command. All in all it's working but the time lag is just to much to get it working comfortable. Now has this device also a status port on the back. Via an IO controller you can get a state request faster. I am not that familiar with IO controllers and how to use them with HS. The only thing i can think of is using an Arduino but that one you still read via the com port so according me there wouldn't be any speed profit there. My parallel port is already in use so that isn't an option also.
So does anyone have a suggestion what to use?
Bram
mhn

Re: Which IO controller to use

Post by mhn »

I use Arduino with Greigs script for I/O http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=157239

That setup has instant update in Homeseer.
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

Thanks for bringing this one up.,

A few months back i saw this thread but there was no script yet. It seems that it looks like a gem.
Bram
kriz83

Post by kriz83 »

I hope there will be a ethernet version soon...
HomeSeer - PlugWise - RFXComm - Philips Pronto TSU9800/9600/9300
mhn

Post by mhn »

I have been beta testing, hence I have had it for a while. :-)

I am afraid ethernet can take a while, he have tried for some time to make stable ethernet without luck. :-|

Regards
Morten
carkifelek
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by carkifelek »

AshaiRey, since you’re now using an IO for requesting the status packet, just send a high or an active-low pulse towards the device and since you’ll already have a serial receiving interrupt waiting for the packet, your device will automatically register the incoming packet. There is however a few consideration that you need to take in account for speeding up your communication such the baud rate of communication. If the status packet is large enough, you’ll have to use a higher baud rate for quicker communication.

Return to “Miscellaneous Home Automation topics”