Get messages when watching TV (overlay)

Forum about other Home automation topics which can not be categorized in any other forum. So this needs to be Home automation Domotica related! (otherwise use Off Topic)
RdP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Get messages when watching TV (overlay)

Post by RdP »

Hi,

I was looking for a way to display all kinds of message on my TV screen when watching TV or any other input.

I read some post at several sources, but could not find a decent solution. So I began searching for a device with a HDMI in and output option and to make a long story short, I bought a Sony Google TV box (NSZ-GS7) (50 euro on marktplaats) and after trying some app's I finally choose "Notify My Android"(NMA). This app is not officially supported on Google TV but you can 'sideload' it and works without a probleem. You have to create an account on the NMA site and of you go. There are many ways to sent notification, so any domotica platform can interface with it. This was my first Android experience :roll: and I expect it to work on any Android device(but don't own any other) There are only growing Apples in my house :wink:

I just wanted to share this with you and if you want to know more please don't hesitate to contact me.....
IMG_2532.jpg
IMG_2532.jpg (20.68 KiB) Viewed 19701 times
Rien
Herbus

Re: Get messages when watching TV (overlay)

Post by Herbus »

Nice feature! Thanks for sharing.
Herbus (Jos)
Akatar

Post by Akatar »

i got it working, thx rien.

but the only thing i see is a popup with mij email adres on it.
i guess i do something wrong :)

only what???
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rene »

Does it produce an overlay on the current selected input or do you have to watch everything (including TV) via the GoogleTV device in order to produce the overlay (I assume the latter)?
Rene.
Akatar

Post by Akatar »

i have a dreambox tuner

so dreambox tuner (or other tuner) to the hdmi in of the sony google tv, hdmi out of the sony google tv to youre tv
i don't use the sony google tv, exept for the overlay.
bartbakels
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by bartbakels »

Hmm, looks great, did u also try to run hstouch on that google tv box?

Bart
Software: HS3, HStouch, Plugwise , BLBackup, BLLatestImage, Zwave, JowiHUE, PHlocation, Netcam, Harmony Plugin, ThinkingCleaner, HSPhone, Eneco Toon Script, Pushover, Visonic Powermax LV Interface

(ON ESXI )on NUC
RdP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by RdP »

Akatar wrote:i got it working, thx rien.

but the only thing i see is a popup with mij email adres on it.
i guess i do something wrong :)

only what???
How do you sent the alert, using email I guess... I used a http request in the example or you can use an API. Email wil only show the sender...

/Rien
Rien
RdP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by RdP »

Akatar wrote:i have a dreambox tuner

so dreambox tuner (or other tuner) to the hdmi in of the sony google tv, hdmi out of the sony google tv to youre tv
i don't use the sony google tv, exept for the overlay.
exactly !!!
Rien
RdP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by RdP »

bartbakels wrote:Hmm, looks great, did u also try to run hstouch on that google tv box?

Bart
Not yet, but I read this should be possible :)
Rien
RdP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by RdP »

Rene wrote:Does it produce an overlay on the current selected input or do you have to watch everything (including TV) via the GoogleTV device in order to produce the overlay (I assume the latter)?
Hi Rene,

Because you connect the Google TV box between your TV (HDMI out) and any input device (HDMI in) so in produces an overlay over the input device.

In my example the input was a Ziggo DTV device, but I intend to place the box between my Onkyo receiver and the TV. The Onkyo has 5 inputs and 1 output HDMI port.

/Rien
Rien
bartbakels
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by bartbakels »

Did some googling.. There is one downside, i would also like to use googletv to run xbmc but no google tv devices withnpassthrough are compatible yet. It requires android 4.2

Hmm
Software: HS3, HStouch, Plugwise , BLBackup, BLLatestImage, Zwave, JowiHUE, PHlocation, Netcam, Harmony Plugin, ThinkingCleaner, HSPhone, Eneco Toon Script, Pushover, Visonic Powermax LV Interface

(ON ESXI )on NUC
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rene »

I use a CI+ card inside my TV, so this is no option for me. Also my Plex client is running inside the TV. So I have no peripherals attached to my TV.
Rene.
Akatar

Post by Akatar »

i have a small problem...

when i use email to get a notify i only see my email adres in the pop up
so i i search for something else, growl has a nma plugin. so installed the package.
but when i sent a message from homeseer the only thing i see is homeseer (pffff)

any thougts?
Menno

Post by Menno »

When using a dreambox, just run this script (message.vb), edit your IP-adress and this message will popup:

Sub Main(parm as object)
dim Path = "http://192.168.1.40"
dim Path1 = "/web/message?text="
dim path2 = "&type=1&timeout=4"

hs.GetURL(Path,Path1 & "Beweging Oprit." & path2,False,80)

End Sub
Edwin

Post by Edwin »

RdP wrote:Hi,

I was looking for a way to display all kinds of message on my TV screen when watching TV or any other input.

I read some post at several sources, but could not find a decent solution. So I began searching for a device with a HDMI in and output option and to make a long story short, I bought a Sony Google TV box (NSZ-GS7) (50 euro on marktplaats) and after trying some app's I finally choose "Notify My Android"(NMA). This app is not officially supported on Google TV but you can 'sideload' it and works without a probleem. You have to create an account on the NMA site and of you go. There are many ways to sent notification, so any domotica platform can interface with it. This was my first Android experience :roll: and I expect it to work on any Android device(but don't own any other) There are only growing Apples in my house :wink:

I just wanted to share this with you and if you want to know more please don't hesitate to contact me.....
IMG_2532.jpg
Is this also possible with just a htpc and a samsung smart tv?
Thanks
Greetings
Edwin

Return to “Miscellaneous Home Automation topics”