Looking for IP-based video intercom system

Forum All about Webcams, IP Camera's & Camera's (hardware, software, pan tilt zoom etc).

Moderator: Esteban

Meinaart
Starting Member
Starting Member

Looking for IP-based video intercom system

Post by Meinaart »

I am looking for a intercom that can do DECT or VOIP via Wifi and has an integrated (IP) camera. The Mobotoix T24 is ideal for this purpose but currently outside of my budget range. At this moment I don't have an electronic lock so I am not specifically looking for a system that can also unlock the doors remotely.

Requirements:
- Looking for a integrated webcam and intercom system
- I want to see who is in front of my door (integrated motion sensor would be nice)
- I want to be able to answer the intercom with my existing DECT handsets, either directly via DECT (preferred) or via VOIP
- Ideally the system would work via wifi, saves me the trouble of replacing the current doorbell cables with UTP (CAT6) cable ;) (not sure how the cables run through the house, I hope via a tube).
- I want to view the video stream on my smartphone/laptop (so it should be accessible via IP)
- I have a Vera Lite with a RFXCom USB Transceiver, integration with this system would be a plus.
- Does not have to be able to unlock the door

So: is there a cheaper alternative to the Mobotix T24? ;)

I think the cheapest alternative is to just use a KaKu doorbell sensor and a separate (outdoor) IP-camera. But I would love to be able to integrate this functionality in one nice looking device such as the Mobotix T24 or another unit that looks like a (video) intercom.

Most outdoor IP-camera's are not that nice looking so I hope I can avoid hanging one of those ugly devices on the outside wall of my house ;).
Fantic

Re: Looking for IP-based video intercom system

Post by Fantic »

Regards, Maarten.
Never let a computer know you're in a hurry.
Esteban
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Esteban »

I'm afraid what you're looking for (an IP/VoIP Ethernet video intercom etc) is not available in the cheaper segment, yet.

At this moment I'm not aware of a lower cost doorbell providing all these integrated functions, all while not being build upon a proprietary system.

If you're handy, a budget option could be to go the DIY route and merge a KAKU/cabled doorbell together with a cheap IP cam in a custom housing for an integrated sort of solution and look. Together with some Homeseer event/script magic.

@Fantic, those aren't IP/voip doorbells as far as I can see? Although they specify 'IP' in the name they are just regular cabled video intercom doorbells when I look at their specs.
Meinaart
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Meinaart »

I would not mind to go the DIY route, but I think it will be hard to find a decent looking outdoor housing that has enough room for the separate components (especially the webcam and motion sensor). Maybe I should take a look at some existing (video)intercom systems and see if I can find one that has enough room to replace the videomodule with an IP-camera.

Do you know any IP camera's sold as seperate units or do I need to remove the housing of an existing ip-camera?

I am new to domotica and have a difficult time finding the products I want. And if I find them they are usually expensive. I guess my wishes do not align with my budget (as usual :P).
Fantic

Post by Fantic »

The ones with the 7 in the picture are IP based even with POE, they are certainly not the cheapest but they are available.
Regards, Maarten.
Never let a computer know you're in a hurry.
Esteban
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Esteban »

@Fantic: I stand corrected, for some reason those models didn't show up on my other computer earlier on. :roll:

http://www.lanbona.com/product.asp?bid=25
Esteban
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Esteban »

Meinaart wrote:Do you know any IP camera's sold as seperate units or do I need to remove the housing of an existing ip-camera?
No idea, but maybe you could have a look on Ebay and the likes for a second hand one you can cannibalize for parts like the housing.
Post-IT

Post by Post-IT »

I used the Siemens Gigaset HC-450 for a while. In combination with an IP camera you will have a perfect combination if you can still get your hands on one of those... You'll even get the dooropener function for free.
Verkenner

Post by Verkenner »

Best regards, Verkenner
marck

Post by marck »

For those interested:

Mobotix T24 will introduce an Ipad/Iphone app to control the T24. Great stuff!!

http://www.mobotix-camera.nl/toepassingen/mx-home-app

Rg
Marck
Meinaart
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Meinaart »

Post-IT wrote:Maybe some other options:

http://www.commend.nl/en/intercom/syste ... _dect.html
Looks expensive, don't see any prices. Website is not that clear.
I found multiple of this kind of sets. But it's not clear if the doorstation is a dect phone itself or that it can only communicate with the dect basestation that is part of the package. I already have a DECT base station and several DECT phones, I want the doorstation to be able to connect to my own DECT base station.
Not clear what kind of technology they use. It's IP based so presumably you can access the videostream via IP. But I don't want a proprietary device/technology to talk with the people in front of the door. Also; alibaba.com is meant for ordering only very large quantities I think?
Meinaart
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Meinaart »

That seems a VOIP video phone? I am looking for a doorstation with an accessible webcam (via a stream/URL) that can communicatie via SIP or DECT.
Post-IT

Post by Post-IT »

I noticed there is a HC450 from Siemens on Marktplaats, I think that is the best and most simple option.
Meinaart
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Meinaart »

I was already mailing with the seller ;) (I had a marktplaats alert on the HC450 before I started this topic ;)).

I think it's the best solution also, and I am just going to combine it with a separate IP-cam.

Return to “Webcams & Camera Stuff Forum”