switching all power sockets and lights

Forum about Domotica, home automation and saving energy.
vincenttor

Re: switching all power sockets and lights

Post by vincenttor »

I did have done some work the last weekend but not much,
all the cable holders are on place now downstairs/upstairs.

I went again to the electronics "store" to pick up a bunch of stuff and the first time we were there we bought a few LED panels.
Working on 30Volts and the light amount is amazing and little to no shade when you hang above it.
Very nice working lamps for in the garage, so he had 1 box left of these and i bought them all , 29 pieces with LED drivers ;) and the drivers where free :D
These will do in my situation, i was planning to buy LED fluorescent tubes, or should i say LED tubes .
But now i will make some nice boxes and in front of these led plates i will place a thin layer of milk white polypropylene plastic that i get at a guy i work for allot so probably cheap/free ;)

This is the light from 1 panel ( they use at 220V 70mA)
Turkish brand as far i could find on the internet

Also got a free pump, this will be placed in the tumble dryer, it has a reservoir that collects all the moist and i did not plan to empty this by hand all the time :D

Also bought 30 fuses that cover the 0-wire and the phase wire instead of just the phase wire, some for 380V for the garage and the same story 0/phase/phase/phase.

Started to primer the MDF wood for the light cove in the rooms, they do use allot of paint :D
at first i planned to spray polyester filler on them to get them nice and smooth but since i can't use a paint booth and i do not want to spray it in my garage because of the overspray and mist that will fall down everywere i decided to use a brush and a roller.
Just about 20 more to do and then use filler to make it nice and smooth (epoxy)

Also started to do drill some holes in the wall for the bathroom, going to redo the bathroom later since this only can cost allot and i got to much "projects" at my hands now to start with this as well.

The fuse cabinet i have made a bit more tidy and placed some of the wires in the holder to see what and were because it was pretty messy.

The coming weekend i must drain the warmth pump and solar boiler system so i can relocate the old pipes,
probably the most funny/strange thing is, the previous owner was a entrepeneur, he was a plumber.
But you can't see it on the work he has done, its messy, not documented at all, faulty connections and thats the pipes, if you see the electrics and the things he has build.
Nothing is great to see when you look closer :roll:
Also going to put a big part of the wire checklist hopefully into the house, today i received some of my packages and 2700m of wire ;)
This is 3x0.75 mm2 Olflex cable, so if someone is interested in buying some cable ?!, leave me a pm.

Got lucky today, not really HA related but a friend of mine called that they threw away an airtank of a compressor,
since i have a compressor that is only the pump and no resevoir this was a great win for free :D
Drove to the company and luckily it fitted on my jetski trailer.

My package arrived from the US also, 3 XAP 800 units.
i probably need only one but leave a second one as a spare unit, 1 unit works but the lcd screen is broken and a cooling fan but this is a minor thing.
They do all start , hope i can set it by the menu and doing this by pressing the same buttons on a working unit so i know what and where i am to set the rs232 port etc.

Also a bunch of relays arrived today, bought these last week from marktplaats could not resist.
Only have no holders/feet that comes with the relay but a soldering iron does a great job or buy a separate feet from internet.

If anyone is looking for good relays, same as the cable, leave me a pm.
vincenttor

Post by vincenttor »

There have been some days passed since the last update,
and what do you think ?

Haha right, still busy with wiring the whole house, but the living area seems to be coming to an end now.
Amount of cable that went in till now, about 3500M / 4000M.
The latest cable that i picked up, only 1 roll is left with 720M on it and 1 with 500M on it,
in 2 days we have done about 1200M of wiring :S and to be honest i can almost not see any wires anymore haha.

But what i started needs to be finished so were still going, last saturday i took a small break (was my birthday) after 44 days of work in a row paid and none paid.
Some pics , not really much to show since last time.
Most of it are pics that there are only more and more wires :roll:

I got a long ladder to reach the roof and clean the solar panels, did not expect that they were so clean and did not needed any cleaning ;)

(yes it looks like a dress haha, and its my dad, he doesnt give a S$%^ how he looks like :P)

received my DMX shield for the arduino , a box of reed relais (door magnets ) and some fresh PCB that is getting ready to be engraved.

Testing here if the little schedule works to switch the small relais , and it did :)
You ask , why not use the cheap outof the box know arduino relay boards ?
Well, those are the biggest problem in the system here at my parents , the optocoupler burned out 3 times in a row and resulting in 1 or 2 relays not responding anymore.
So i bought a more known relay brand and some BC547 transistors , some diodes to make my own relay boards that hopefully are more stable compared to those ebay boards.
I am probably the one of the few persons that have problems with those but since a big part of my system relies on switching relays i found it important to make them myself with better components.

Also made some holes in the wall for 86x86 boxes, these are for some DMX light controllers that i ordered.

These are the models i am talking about , this is for visitors that do not know how to control the lights from a tablet or phone etc..

Here are now somewhere about 280 cables laying around and waiting to be connected ;)
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

Could you share some more info on the DMX part of the installation ? I see u are also using HS3?
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
vincenttor

Post by vincenttor »

What do you want to know exactly ?
What kind of protocol it is ?
Or about the switch i displayed ?
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

vincenttor wrote:What do you want to know exactly ?

The type of switch you displayed and the software u intend to use. I see HS3 but XAP800 only works with HS2 (right?) and how about the arduino ?
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
vincenttor

Post by vincenttor »

Well, i am waiting for a reply about the DMX but since it is Chinese New year it will take 1 more week i guess.
I am in contact with someone that has made a plugin for his arduino with DMX shield, so he can control every light.
From what i understand with the wall switch is that you cat let it control zones, a zone can contain certain channels, each channel contains a led strip or light.

So for example, with RGB you have 3 channel that you need to control.
With the light switch i am not certain that i can control the channels separate , like only channel 1 4 7 from Decoder 2 , and channel 5 7 from Decoder 3.
This i am waiting for to hear how it exactly works but i guess it only can control the decoder that gets a number, so if the decoder contains 30 channels it opens/fires/triggers all channels.
Let's hope this is not the case , and if so, these switches are only for guests that normally run to the wall and press a light switch when they enter a room and for fun ;)
Also this is for if there is a problem with for example my computer/arduino/dmx shield , that i can manually turn the lights on.

With the DMX controller on the computer it is a completely different story, here you can control every channel from every decoder you want, so make programs / events , that when a wireless switch is pressed from kaku for example , then the trigger talks to the arduino DMX shield and that triggers the channels 2 4 6 8 from Decoder 1 and channel 4 8 10 from Decoder 2 and so on.
The pictures he showed me , he was able to set colors , let buttons come up in HStouch to dim etc etc.

BUT, i just spoke to him , and since he changed the Vonets wifi bridge to another brand , it suddenly stopped working and he says his inlaws are at his place so not much time now to find out whats going on.
But i guess he will get it sorted, since he started just a few weeks ago and he got it working.
He will release it in the updater from HS3 but it has to be stable then.

Aout the XAP800, Blade recently released a plugin for HS3 and it is in the updater.
It is called BLAudioMatrix,
i haven't tested it yet, and do not know if the options are the same as ZMC, it is probably possible to port the ZMC to HS3 but since i am no coder, i have no idea what to do and where to start.

The arduino, not sure if you meant the arduino on its own or with the DMX shield.
If you meant the arduino on its own, you can also download the plugin from the hs updater, its is made by Greig and i have had some problems with it, actually it seemed like my own fault with the wiring and the cheap arduino boards where the optocoupler broke down off.

You can better pm me its faster to talk in dutch if you want specific info , or just call me or something.
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

raymonvdm wrote:

The type of switch you displayed and the software u intend to use. I see HS3 but XAP800 only works with HS2 (right?) and how about the arduino ?
The XAP800 is a serial device so it doesn't depend on HS2. It will work with any system that can send out serial data.
Please note that Blade made a (beta) plugin for this and you can find it in the updater.
Bram
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

AshaiRey wrote:
raymonvdm wrote:

The XAP800 is a serial device so it doesn't depend on HS2. It will work with any system that can send out serial data.
Please note that Blade made a (beta) plugin for this and you can find it in the updater.
I know it is a serial device, but did not know about the HS3 plugin. Do you know of someone who ported it to OpenHab ? I`m still thinking about HS2 versus HS3 versus OpenHAB, which al have there (dis)advantage
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

raymonvdm wrote:I know it is a serial device, but did not know about the HS3 plugin. Do you know of someone who ported it to OpenHab ? I`m still thinking about HS2 versus HS3 versus OpenHAB, which al have there (dis)advantage
Why are you fixed on a plugin and 'boxed in' by the thought of porting it. You still need a serial connection so you can use any thing to send a command to the serial port like a serial plugin or preferably just a script of a few lines. That is what the plugin does, just send a few characters to the serial port. It's nothing more then that to tell the box what to do and everthing is well documented. That way you can use it on HS2, HS3 or OpenHAB and have far more control. But that is just a thought.
Bram
vincenttor

Post by vincenttor »

Well i can relate to Raymond about the plugin,
it is easy and if you do not know how to code it can get quite frustrating if it does not do what you want / hope and needs to do.
Then again, when i got my system up and running i ill give it a shot to see if i can get your script working with HS3.

in the mean while i got some packages by mail from my Chinese friends :D ( and a dutch one haha )
This is btw the first time i have seen this sticker on one of my packages, normally when i get "punished" with paying import costs and tax i get a invoice but i haven't seen anything yet.

nice length of flat cable, some extra space for my parents there NAS and a ssd for my older laptop that starts up like lightning as if it is new :P
Also some XLR female connectors for the DMX decoders, and 2 hidden PIR IP cameras that are just 1280x720 pixels.
The image is more then OK, i have used them before and for 25 USD i cant complain, will buy some more.

These are my new LED spot lights that i am going to use in my home, these are the warmest warm white color i have seen with LED, not the Chinese 3000K (actually German) still pretty bright or cool white as they say.
Not very good visible on the pictures but it is much warmer in real life not like the china LED.
Somewhere next week i will probably have 50 pieces and with LED drivers that are compatible with these lights so they have the longest life span.
For specifications of these LED spotlights : lichtkaufhaus.de/en/Home-Lighting/LED-l ... types.html

I also used a meter to see how many amps they used, and it is not much i can say with this amount of light they give.
This would be 0.048 mA x 220V = 10.56 Watt

10 of these gives much more light then a 100W bulb ;)
vincenttor

Post by vincenttor »

haven't done much this weekend except building the relay and fuse casing.
Not all of them since i got short of boxes but next saturday i will pick up some more.

Got some other relays , first it were the omron type but those were not the right ones ( he gave me 3 and 5 Amp rated relays and i needed 2x10A)

8 boxes filled , 2 of them with fuses and the rest with relays ;)
ThinkPad

Post by ThinkPad »

Really nice project! Keep up the good work!

Do you have a link to the webshop where you bought the camera's? 1280x720 for 25USD sounds interesting too me!
vincenttor

Post by vincenttor »

raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

After following this project i started to pick up my projects again but with far less speed as this project :D I would like to pick up my livingroom washboard + ledstip to enlarge the W.A.F but i`m stuck on choices and would like to know why you made a specific choice

The choices are:

- Ledstrip based on FibaroZ-Wave RGBW controller
- Ledstrip connected to a DMX controller (I have a DXM4ALL mini but it is not working with OLA)
- Ledstip based on Pixel Led

Why did you choose DMX ?
vincenttor

Post by vincenttor »

Well Raymond,
i have chosen for DMX because there are allot of "cheap" decoders for this protocol.
I now am going to order 4 x a print with 30 Channels, with this i will not only save allot of money ( about 40 USD each).
But this gives me so much more functions compared to for example fibaro or any other known Semi professional system.

Now i am able to control each channel, change color make programs,
with almost 120 Meter of LED strips mounted only in the living room and thats only for the cove on the roof i use allot of channels.
Imagine if you would have to buy controllers from for example fibaro to control 80Meter of warm white strip and 40 Meter of RGB strip :roll:

I use even more channels because i divided the 5 meter into parts of 2.5 meter.
I have done this Because of the Amp draw from a 5 meter strip, the controllers i want to buy only can handle 1Amp per channel and for warm white it is about 1.8 Amp for 5 meter.
Dividing this into 2.5 Meter pieces allows me to connect them to the channels instead of replacing parts on the pcb myself for ones that can handle more Amp,if this if also possible of course.

Another advantage is that when some LED's break down, the length is just 2.5 meter, and i got more control over the lights.
What part of the living or kitchen i want to be lighted , how much brightness.

To control this DMX in homeseer i have a DMX shield from arduino , and a arduino of course that both cost about 20 dollar with shipping ( for the exact price i should have to look it up)
And i am in contact with someone that has made a plugin to control the DMX decoders by using this arduino dmx shield, i am not sure if it is possible to add a ethernet shield ontop of the arduino.
He is going to place the plugin into homeseer as far i understood when he is done testing but it seems that it works ok for a few months now.
Control for guests is also possible , this i am going to do with the wall switches that i showed a few posts back so when you do not know how to control the domotica system from the tablets on the wall you will grab to the first button and the lights go on , these send out DMX512 protocol as well and have a reasonable price and i find personally a nice look.

I actually have looked to pixel LED but for the lengths i need it will become to expensive in my case.
It is very nice , you can do many fun things with them but for light in your house i am not sure if you want color changing and effects going on and on.

Return to “Energycontrol & Home Automation Forum”