Energy usage per year

Forum about Domotica, home automation and saving energy.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Energy usage per year

Post by Bwired »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dickr43</i>
<br />I just looked up my usage over the last 3 years. This year we consumed just over 3500 kWh. We are a family of 4. We do have:
- Dishwasher
- Washingmachine with Dryer
- We cook on electricity
- 42" Plasma TV
- Windows 2K3 Small Business Server running 24h/24h
- Homeseer PC running 24h/24h

And I'm still working on lowering the usage. My goal is to get an additional 5% off next year by killing stand-by machines. So 3500kWh can be done with all of these machines in house ;-))

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">unbelievable, not reachable for me :-)
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Energy usage per year

Post by b_weijenberg »

5200kWh with a good trend line thanks to switching of standby devices and changed my Home Automation server (140W) to a low power PC (15W)

Harlin

Energy usage per year

Post by Harlin »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by snelvuur</i>
Turns of everything he is still would use 5000kwh a year.. so somewhere in his house there is something thats consuming alot. Trying to figure out what it is with him because its just really "too much" so far no
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I had a large energy bill for several years, Magnum Econtrol (bathroomfloor heating) was broken. Unit recently replaced, was switching on/off randomly and stayed on for hours.

When in doubt check the e-meter, there are known cases with faulty equipment. Search energy section of tros radar forum.

--
If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, ....
Alfred
Starting Member
Starting Member

Energy usage per year

Post by Alfred »

You can place a solarpanel for reducing your energy facture,
a nice addon for your domoticasystem :-p
http://www.sunnyportal.com/Templates/Pu ... ang=nl-BE
http://www.verscheure.com
Chiel

Energy usage per year

Post by Chiel »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dickr43</i>
<br />I just looked up my usage over the last 3 years. This year we consumed just over 3500 kWh. We are a family of 4. We do have:
- Dishwasher
- Washingmachine with Dryer
- We cook on electricity
- 42" Plasma TV
- Windows 2K3 Small Business Server running 24h/24h
- Homeseer PC running 24h/24h

And I'm still working on lowering the usage. My goal is to get an additional 5% off next year by killing stand-by machines. So 3500kWh can be done with all of these machines in house ;-))

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">That's nice! but why do you have those machines if you dont turn them on??[;)]

I have a lot of energy saving lamps (since many years), no servers running (yet), no 24/7 computers (exept camera system = 42,5 Watt,recorder & cam's), all computers have main switches and i use them too, no electric cooking..

I have 1 part of the house with floor heating (15 square meters) and the pump has 3 speeds, according the pump specs it should be using 40/60/80 Watts, but measuring it gives total different info, it's 25/40/53 Watt!! The switch is always on the middle position, and manualy turned off in the spring until i get cold feet, so this can never be more than 200kwh/year...(still i bought a pump switch that switch off the pump when the heating is inactive)

I do have a steam cabin with a 2500 Watt steam generator, but i use it max 5 hours/year (too hot for me), this system is permanent connected and so is my alarm system, so checking the standby usage is not easy (with Plugwise) but i'm gonna do it next week (holiday[:)]) because i'm afraid 1 of them is sneaky using a lot of power...
DJF3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Energy usage per year

Post by DJF3 »

Energy usage last year: Around 12-13.000 kWh
This year it should probably go back to 6-7.000 kWh..
As everything is monitored now, I will do a lot of things to lower the power consumption next year (2009)
rwitkamp

Energy usage per year

Post by rwitkamp »

2007 was around 10.000 kWh. This year I will end at 8.800.

Hopefully, 2009 will be a year of more energy saving thanks to advanced monitoring using the Owl, RFXCom and Homeseer.

Things to do in 2009:
- Replace more lamps with energy saving lamps and/or leds
- Further optimization of ventilation and humidity control
- Lower power usage of home automation PC's
- Auto power off devices in standby where possible
myozone
Starting Member
Starting Member

Energy usage per year

Post by myozone »

1750 Kwh elec
12500 Kwn Gas

2 adults (no kids [:D) 4 bedroom detached house rural Shropshire (UK)
Chiel

Energy usage per year

Post by Chiel »

My alarm system only uses 4.23Watt, my steamcabin 2.1Watt(standby offcourse), so not much to save on that for me.....
Sooty

Energy usage per year

Post by Sooty »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">1750 Kwh elec
12500 Kwn Gas

2 adults (no kids [:D) 4 bedroom detached house rural Shropshire (UK)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">WOW!

Mine is about 6000 kWh electricity and I don't know about gas yet as I only started monitoring it in September.

4 person houshold with 2 almost teenage kids. Dishwasher, washer/dryer, 2 freezers, 4 TV's etc....

It was almost double this a couple of years ago until I embarked on a very expensive energy saving spree.

I'm pretty happy with my electricity usage now, it's the gas that causes me the most grief. If the outside temp is between 0 and 5 C, then I can use 20 M3 of gas a day keeping the inside temp at 20/21 C for 8 hours per day. At weekends that can go up to 25 M3 if the house is occupied all day. This costs between 8 and 10 GBP per day! Ouch!!!

The house has about 190 M2 of floor space over 2 floors, It was built in 1870 so it has solid walls with no insulation. It does have a load of roof insulation and double galzing but still it takes a lot of heating even with the latest high efficiency boiler.

Thankfully I have a wood burner (with free fuel) that is linked into the heating system, so I am not using gas all the time for heating.

I think that most of the heat loss is through the walls, so when I embark upon some building works in the spring, I think I will look at insulating some of the walls on the inside to see if I can gain some savings there.

Paul..
myozone
Starting Member
Starting Member

Energy usage per year

Post by myozone »

Hi Sooty, Guess we are low users [:)] One Tv,fridge freezer,CFL bulbs,~135M 2 floors 4 beds, 300mm loft insulation, cavity walls filled, double glazed, new A rated boiler, nothing really left on or on standby - easy [:D] we pay 53 GBP a month to Scottish Power for both Gas and elec more than coevers it. I read the other day kids cost on average 200,000GBP [:0] from 0-16 years old EACH [;)]

Return to “Energycontrol & Home Automation Forum”