cost effective

Forum about Domotica, home automation and saving energy.
DMR1712
Starting Member
Starting Member

cost effective

Post by DMR1712 »

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering (I'm a complete newbie in case you're wondering): Is domotica cost effective in relation to energycontrol?

in other words, if i invest in all kinds of energy-effective stuff, do I ever profit from that (moneywise).
(I also see the benefits for the environment, don't get me wrong, but I was just wondering)

Thanks!
Best,
DMR
AshaiRey

cost effective

Post by AshaiRey »

No, you probaly won't But let me ask you a question.
Do you ever profit from that large LCD television set you (hopefully) have? Did you have the same questions when you bought a car or a fridge?
DMR1712
Starting Member
Starting Member

cost effective

Post by DMR1712 »

Good call. I was a little too much focused on the "saving energy" bit and not seeing the big picture = the advantages it can bring.

thanks!
erisan500

cost effective

Post by erisan500 »

It may save you money in the long run, if you are able to identify where you are spending alot of money (elec/gas/water).

For example, after i setup our water monitoring, i discovered that one of my kids was consuming 250 liters of water to take a single shower. :/

Greetings,
Eric
DMR1712
Starting Member
Starting Member

cost effective

Post by DMR1712 »

you gotta love those long showers.. [:D]
Tozz

cost effective

Post by Tozz »

I think it is save to say that as soon as you start to buy stuff in order to save electricity you wont benefit from it money-wise. For example, I have 19 Plugwise plugs. That is something like EUR 900,-. Simple X10 in-wall modules to turn off lights costs alot more then I'll be able to profit from.

Since I have Plugwise plugs i have some HS Events to turn stuff on and off which saves me max. 20 Watts. That is 175 kWh/year. At a cost of EUR 0,20 / kWh I'll save EUR 35,- a year. That is a ROI of >25 years.

I bought a new Intel Atom based computer instead of my old one. This Atom thingie is 30 Watt more efficient then my old system. That saves me EUR 50,- a year, but the thing cost me EUR 170,-. So a ROI of >3 years.

So I think its only wise to invest in energy saving equipment if you don't mind spending more bucks then it'll save you.
mo046

cost effective

Post by mo046 »

I think for most of us domotics means primarily a way to make life more comfortable, and that may cost some money. And of course the fun of experimenting with it is also an important. But on the otherhand it makes you also aware of energy consumption and costs, and how to save on those costs. But I must agree it rarely saves you money in the first place. The big benifits come from systems that run 24/7, or consume a lot of energy (computer, server, adapters, stand-by use, wash dryer, etc.). I have a lot of fun monitoring and optimising energy consumption, and share my findings with friends and relatives who are not so aware of it.

** Maurice **

Return to “Energycontrol & Home Automation Forum”