Turning energy saving bulbs on and off ?

Forum about Domotica, home automation and saving energy.
paulb
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by paulb »

Hi i have been looking at solutionslike motion detection to turn lights on and off etc but most of the switches i have seen state you can't use energy efficient bulbs , just wondering if anyone has come across a product that will work with energy savinging bulbs ?

The whole point of this is to save energy so using energy saving bulbs is a must.

Paul.
Carlo

Post by Carlo »

It depends mostly on the bulbs.
A "standard" energy saving bulb can't be switched by most motion detector units (like they also can not be dimmed by a dim unit).
There are however energy saving bulbs that act like conventional ones, that can be switched (or even dimmed), but are (much) more expensive.
For these purposes you should read the product description that comes with the bulb.
Another issue is that energy efficient bulbs can have a long start-up time, before it gives light, what is normally not desired to use with motion detection.
Therefore the manufacturer tells you that the motion detector is not suitable for energy efficient bulbs.
I hope this explains your question.
Carlo
erisan500

Post by erisan500 »

I guess technicaly you can use energy efficient bulbs, but as carlo says, it takes some time for these bulbs before they give 100% of their light.

Eric
paulb
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by paulb »

Many thanks for the help guys
Steven Brooks
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Turning energy saving bulbs on and off ?

Post by Steven Brooks »

Hello friends,
The cost effectiveness of when to turn off lights depends on the type of lights and the price of electricity. The type of light is important for several reasons. All types of lights have a nominal or rated operating life, which is the total number of hours that they will provide a specified level or amount of light. However, the operating life of most types of bulbs is affected by how many times they are turned on and off. For those bulbs, the more often they are switched on and off, the lower their operating life. The exact number of hours that switching lights on and off reduces the total operating life depends on the type of light and how many times it is switched on and off.

Best Regards,
Steven Brooks :)
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

The questionair was sitting in the dark for nearly 3 years so i don't think this answer is that relevant any more. :D
Bram
Phaeton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Phaeton »

No, but good for this guys seo ;-)
edwardmaya
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by edwardmaya »

The affordability of when to turn off lighting is determined by the kind of light and the price of power. The kind of lightbulb you use is important for several reasons. All lightbulbs have a affordable or ranked managing lifestyle, which is suffering from how many times they are switched on and off. The more often they are switched on and off, the reduced their managing lifestyle. 8)

Return to “Energycontrol & Home Automation Forum”