Separate energy consumption monitoring

Forum about Domotica, home automation and saving energy.
linkitall
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by linkitall »

Is there anyone who monitors their energy consumption more precisely than the global KWh? For example lighting, continuous consumers (fridge etc), washing... I saw the Conrad Energy Control 3000 but this seems not popular (see http://www.domoticaforum.eu/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=268)). I guess for lights this could also be done by logging the time they're on, but this seems not a very elegant solution (dimming etc.)

Michel
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

I'm doing that at the moment. (testing)
using the hardware and software from Plugwise

www.plugwise.nl

[img]uploaded/Chak/200826222349_plugcomputer.jpg[/img]
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

A simple Power Monitor is sufficient to me. You put the plug of the power monitor between the power outlet and the device you want to monitor and wait for some time.
Or you could use these meters:
http://www.hekkers.net/albums/Domotica/ ... 20552.html
You could use them for the really big power consumers. They have S0 interface, but that means also extra cables if you want to use the info real-time. They cost 30 EUR on ebay.

Monitoring each device separately, real-time, would become to expensive related to the information it provides, in my opinion.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Separate energy sensors would be the best setting, in the future every device will have a chip that can do all kinds of things like calculation the power usage. A thing I do for now with steady power consumers is that I register the standard usage in the device table in my database.
For example if my kitchen lights go on it's always 120 watt. The two way kitchen light actor is registered when it goes On or Off. For a lot of devices you can get a good indication.
Pieter
linkitall
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by linkitall »

I guess with a combination of time monitoring for fix power consumers (lights) and Plugwise for individual consumers one goes a long way. I'm eagerly following the experiences with Plugwise.

@Digit
While browsing your domotica album I saw some picture of remote control plugs of the "Flamingo" brand. Do you have some information about these (protocols, HomeSeer compatible etc)? They were recently sold at very low prices in retail here in Belgium.
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Hi Michel,

That's how i got them to, at a very low price. ;-)
These Flamingo plugs can be controlled with a RFXCOM transmitter. Check http://www.rfxcom.com for that. I dont use HS, but there is a HS plugin coming available soon i read (http://www.domoticaforum.eu/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=763)

I am going to replace all RF plugs i'm currently using (6); reliability is just not what i want. So if you want a good bargain on a bunch of Flamingo/ELRO 600-series remotes and switches, just let me know.
linkitall
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by linkitall »

Digit, I have quite a few of them laying around but(like you) I'm not planning to build my HA system around them. As you may know, I still have to start basically from scratch. They'll be nice for testing some stuff probably. Thanks for the offer anyway.
Seems like my next research will have to go to RFXCOM. I see it popping up on almost every forum topic !

Return to “Energycontrol & Home Automation Forum”