Measure gas usage

Show or discuss your existing Home automation project here, so a detailed explanation!.....
Noel

Measure gas usage

Post by Noel »

Wow. That is expensive.
I guess I will stick to the Jfn technique :-)
Thank you for the info.

--
Never start anything you can't fi
Jfn

Measure gas usage

Post by Jfn »

I took some pictures to show how I mounted the sensor:

I used to build quite some transmitters and alike and put it in a 19" box. These boxes needed feet to stand on. After some modification these feet are an excellent way to hold the CNY70.

Using a strip of thin iron and some duct tape I mounted everything to the gas-meter:

Next step is designing a nice PCB so I can fit everything in a box without wires running all over the fusebox.

Als het niet gerepareerd kan worden dan is het niet kapot!
de.lesse
Starting Member
Starting Member

Measure gas usage

Post by de.lesse »

I can't get the counter at work...
When testing with above schematic, i get reaction when moving with a paper and a stripe of aluminium foil. Also finetuning the resistors so that it give me a fine reaction. But when attaching the sensor to the gasmeterwindow, it gives me nothing when the 6 (with mirror) comes over.
Any idea what i do wrong? Should i mount the sensor in one way or just tape it to the gasmeterwindow? maybe wrong resistor values due testing with paper and aluminium foil?

Thanks.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Measure gas usage

Post by Bwired »

I think the light bundle of the CNY70 is to low, try to adjust this.
de.lesse
Starting Member
Starting Member

Measure gas usage

Post by de.lesse »

distance was the problem... moved 2 mm back from window and work like a ... ;)
oenie
Starting Member
Starting Member

Measure gas usage

Post by oenie »

Hi,

By casually browsing across the net, i found this thread.
I happen to work at Xemex (though as a Developer)

I can tell you that the OCR module you are talking about is actually not a standalone unit. It works with an external communcation module, that communicates with our server through a proprietary protocol.

The module however is currently no longer supported, no more development is being done on it.

And as for the not replying, our hardware designers are quite busy :)

Jeroen
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Measure gas usage

Post by Bwired »

haha
Better late then never :-)
I even think you our company's are working together.
Is there a left over for me to test :-)
oenie
Starting Member
Starting Member

Measure gas usage

Post by oenie »

Well, as i stated in my previous message, there's a whole lot of proprietary stuff included.

The interface between the camera module and our communication modules is through an (afaik again proprietary) RF protocol.
Communication with our server is another protocol.
So although i'd love to help you out, i'm not sure whether:

A) it would work without a server, since you would have to implement the protocol
B) my bosses would allow me to send out information on the protocols specified (not unless somehwere someone wants to pay)

So if it's just for hobbyists, i'm afraid my hands are tied ...
Pieterpaul

Measure gas usage

Post by Pieterpaul »

Jeroen, sorry to bother you, but could you please have a look at this topic: http://www.domoticaforum.eu/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1384
Any chance you would have more information on the used RF communication between my gas and electricity meters (I think I read somewhere that the RF modules from Landis are really built by Xemex)? If so, are those RF signals proprietary as well or are they compliant to some standard?

Thanks, Pieter-Paul
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Measure gas usage

Post by Bwired »

I Understand, no problem [:)]<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by oenie</i>
<br />Well, as i stated in my previous message, there's a whole lot of proprietary stuff included.

The interface between the camera module and our communication modules is through an (afaik again proprietary) RF protocol.
Communication with our server is another protocol.
So although i'd love to help you out, i'm not sure whether:

A) it would work without a server, since you would have to implement the protocol
B) my bosses would allow me to send out information on the protocols specified (not unless somehwere someone wants to pay)

So if it's just for hobbyists, i'm afraid my hands are tied ...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
oenie
Starting Member
Starting Member

Measure gas usage

Post by oenie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pieterpaul</i>
<br />Jeroen, sorry to bother you, but could you please have a look at this topic: http://www.domoticaforum.eu/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1384
Any chance you would have more information on the used RF communication between my gas and electricity meters (I think I read somewhere that the RF modules from Landis are really built by Xemex)? If so, are those RF signals proprietary as well or are they compliant to some standard?

Thanks, Pieter-Paul
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Pieter-Paul,

Unfortunately the used RF is proprietary as well.
Landis provides meters with an empty 'slot' and allows external manufacturers (like Xemex) to build a plugin module that can communicate with the meter through a set of pins.

How a vendor designs and implements such a module is open.
The Xemex electicity module actually contains a communcations part
as well, which acts as the main 'hub'. This hub can collect data for multipe other modules, like a gas module or (with Essent f.i.) an external display, through RF.
Pieterpaul

Measure gas usage

Post by Pieterpaul »

Is there a (XEMEX) device that can receive these signals and that generates a pulse output so that I can attach it to my PC with a pulse counter (such as a RFXPulse)? If so, any idea where or how I could get one?

Thanks, PP

Return to “Home Automation Projects”