Very Confused

Show or discuss your existing Home automation project here, so a detailed explanation!.....
redwings
Starting Member
Starting Member

Very Confused

Post by redwings »

I am very confused and as a newbie I would appreictae some help. I hope I am not asking a stupiud question...

I am in the process of building a new house and we are planning for a smart house/ home automation. I have been speaking with two vendors here. One is Lutron the other would be an Instabus/KNX supplier. Both seem reliable in terms of service and professionalism, but I am very confuse about some of the basics and I need some clear answers.

Can someone explain the difference between Lutron and KNX/Instabus. I know Lutron is a central processor based with proprietary technology and KNX would be component open standard. Does the KNX open standard translate into the lowest common denominator (as claimed by Lutron), or is that mean greater flexibility (as claimed by KNX)? Is Lutron only lighting control - on/off/dim or is it full integration. If KNX gives full integration (?) I assume that covers lighting as well, so why even consider Lutron? What advantage would Lutron have over the KNX/Instabus. ? KNX over Lutron?

Does the KNX provide for future expansion capabilities? I think there is a AMX controller included in the configuration. I f so, what impact does this have?
Lurton says they are the only ones that support IP. Is this really true? Is it even important? Is there more to Lutron than lighting control?

Are there any difference between the KNX software (ETS ) and that of Lutron ( Homeworks) ?

Although I initially will start with lighting control as stage one, I presume I will want to expand to audio and security as well and possibly other

Any input anyone can provide to clear the air for me would be greatly appreciated. I am just trying to make sense of all this.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Very Confused

Post by Snelvuur »

If you have enough money you can go for something like this, but as far as i know most of those models requires cabling throughout the whole house. The good thing about x10 for instance is that you can plug it anywhere where you have a socket and automate that. With knx for example you are required to stick to their software (i have not seen any descent open source controlling/homeseer for it but i could be wrong) and if you add another light somewhere (say you add a reading light next to the sofa) you cant automate it because it needs an extra set of cables. I think lutron is also used with expensive tools and such, like the pronto tsu 9600 has a module for it as far as i know.

So feel free to do whatever you want, but if you want to spend loads of money on this be sure you get -everything- right from the start. Also i dont know if you can combine lutron/knx at a later stage in such way that your security and audio benefits from this (for example, you turn off the alarm and then the hallway light turns on)

most people go with "some" form of x10 , in combination with rfxcom for a wide range of receiving/sending stuff and a security based on visionic. Add this to the software program homeseer and you got your completed home automated. only side effects are that you really need to be sure you dont have interference with x10 on the line or get filters and such, but once it works.. it works.. (every system has its pro/cons)

// Erik (binkey.nl)

Return to “Home Automation Projects”