Ssssssmokin

Show or discuss your existing Home automation project here, so a detailed explanation!.....
Jfn

Ssssssmokin

Post by Jfn »

You might have wondered what I mean with the topic title. I will come to that.

As part of my efforts to automate my house, I intend to install a Visonic alarm installation. Not only does it offer some protection against unwanted visitors, it also integrates nicely with my domotica-system (Sensors can be made visible in for example HomeSeer). And the two-way key fobs are a nice way of controlling my installation when I enter / leave the house. I will be getting one after the implementation of X10.

About the topic title: As you may or may not know, stores (especially ones selling jewelry) have been using the following piece of equipment to protect against unwanted visitors: http://www.conrad.nl/goto/?product=590813. I happened to come across it when surfing the Conrad website and immediately thought of how I could implement it in my Domotica system [:D]

It makes sure that within an very short time they cannot see where they are and the only option is to leave the house the same way they got in. When you arm your system, let a X10 switch turn on the unit. The trigger of the unit is then hooked-up to the output of an external siren on your alarm system.

Besides the fact that it is an effective means of protecting your property, it is also plain fun to experiment with.

Als het niet gerepareerd kan worden dan is het niet kapot!
Noel

Ssssssmokin

Post by Noel »

I get an error when I try to follow your 'conrad.nl' link :-/ <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Invalid Session
You have tried to use a WWW session that has already been terminated. You should restart your session. If the problem persists you should close your World Wide Web browser and open it again<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">--
<h6>Anyone interested in time travel meet me here last Thursday!!</h6>
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Ssssssmokin

Post by Snelvuur »

Dont know if i have seen a house alarm before where they smoke the place... i would need 3 machines then.. a bit overkill

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Jfn

Ssssssmokin

Post by Jfn »

The link should work, it is a direct product link, not session specific.

Just go to http://www.conrad.nl and enter the product code (590813) in the search field above.

@snelvuur: My house is not that big. I would only be needing one unit to fill the room with smoke in 1 minute.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wifi</i>
<br />I get an error when I try to follow your 'conrad.nl' link :-/ <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Invalid Session
You have tried to use a WWW session that has already been terminated. You should restart your session. If the problem persists you should close your World Wide Web browser and open it again<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

--
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Ssssssmokin

Post by Snelvuur »

p.s. the link works fine for me...

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Lennart

Ssssssmokin

Post by Lennart »

I've been thinking about this as well :-). A few things:

- You could get one that's DMX controlled. It might be easier (depending on your installation) and could also be used for non-alarm purposes (Party!). (But DMX controlled is more expensive.)

- What would this "smoke" do to your smoke sensors? Get a fire alarm as well?

- Wouldn't it use a whole lot of electricity (700W at full load according to the manual!) to keep it running while you're away? It heats the smoke fluid and keeps it heated... The alternative is a 4 minute heating delay: not really useful, given the fact that most burglars enter and leave a house within 2 minutes.

- Check http://www.bax-shop.nl/rook-machines/be ... ucten.html. Prices start at EUR 55,-, for a machine with comparable specs or even as low as EUR 35 for a mini-version.

- While you're at it: get one of these http://www.bax-shop.nl/bellenblaas-mach ... ucten.html or these http://www.bax-shop.nl/sneeuw-machines/ ... ucten.html "to confuse ze Germans" :-). Foam machines are nice too, but might destroy your house :-).

Lennart
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Ssssssmokin

Post by MindBender »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jfn</i>
<br />It makes sure that within an very short time they cannot see where they are and the only option is to leave the house the same way they got in. When you arm your system, let a X10 switch turn on the unit. The trigger of the unit is then hooked-up to the output of an external siren on your alarm system.

Besides the fact that it is an effective means of protecting your property, it is also plain fun to experiment with.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">it's a good idea, but I'm afraid it will not work as intended. This is a regular smoke machine, which either needs quite some time to heat up or will consumer quite a lot of electricity to maintain it's temperature while being standy-by. Besides that, it can only produce smoke in relatively short bursts, simply because the heater cools down while it's producing smoke (If I'm not mistaken, it heats up liquid parafine to produce smoke). You need a lot of bursts to reduce visibility in an average living room.
The idea of using smoke for security is not new and smoke machines specially made for this purpose are already available on the market. But these machines use a different method to produces smoke which allows large amounts of thick smoke to be produces in a short time.
drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Ssssssmokin

Post by drmacchi »

Just a thougt, will' it be safe too? I mean:a human body in a stress simulation (no sight or no breath is stress!)produces a lot of adrenaline ; it's called fight or fly reaction. So bad people could go crazy for that, do they have guns? they could be even more dangerous than they're.... Just a thought guys. I think it's better ALWAYS don't let them intrude , so EXTERNAL alarm systems. Bye. lorenzo
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Ssssssmokin

Post by Snelvuur »

I'll just run out of my house and use my "detonate" button.

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Ssssssmokin

Post by Snelvuur »

This also nice to keep them out in the first place..

What else can we say? The concept here is pure genius, and it totally makes those pricey security systems seem way pointless (okay, slightly less critical). The FakeTV is a strobe that sets up in an occupied room at night and flashes up beams of light. From the inside, we can imagine it looks fairly curious, but from the outside, it gives prospective burglars the idea that someone is actually awake and watching a television program. It promises to produce the effects of "scene changes, fades, swells, flicks, on-screen motion and color changes," just like they were generated by a bona fide set. We can't speak for how well (or not) this thing actually works, but at just $49, we'd say it's a solid buy if you're the paranoid type.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/21/fake ... scourages/

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Jfn

Ssssssmokin

Post by Jfn »

A very bright stroboscopic light might also work:
http://www.conrad.nl/goto/?product=591299

Kind of overdone maybe, but then again, it is fun to play with!

MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Ssssssmokin

Post by MindBender »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by snelvuur</i>
<br />This also nice to keep them out in the first place..

What else can we say? The concept here is pure genius, and it totally makes those pricey security systems seem way pointless (okay, slightly less critical). The FakeTV is a strobe that sets up in an occupied room at night and flashes up beams of light. From the inside, we can imagine it looks fairly curious, but from the outside, it gives prospective burglars the idea that someone is actually awake and watching a television program. It promises to produce the effects of "scene changes, fades, swells, flicks, on-screen motion and color changes," just like they were generated by a bona fide set. We can't speak for how well (or not) this thing actually works, but at just $49, we'd say it's a solid buy if you're the paranoid type.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/21/fake ... urages/<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I doubt if that will work between 3 and 6 a.m.: I usually fall asleep with the TV still switched on ;-)

The strobe light may actually work very well. I always find them very disorienting myself. If you tune the frequency around the brain's alpha wave frequency you may even get a couple of additional effects ;-)
Noel

Ssssssmokin

Post by Noel »

I once had to put a car alarm in a car.

To test it I had the alarm cabin (where I was sitting)).
The damn thing made so much noise that I really had to cover my ears!

I guess you could also do something like this in the house.
Not sure if a normal car alarm would do, but I'm sure this one will :-)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6JsiXmwM-jk

More info @ http://www.hornblasters.com/

--

Return to “Home Automation Projects”