Work in progress...

Show or discuss your existing Home automation project here, so a detailed explanation!.....
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Work in progress...

Post by Digit »

I started my Home Automation hobby in October 2005, beginning with monitoring the gas usage in my house. Being inspired by the way Pieter accomplished his gas monitoring, I started gathering the hardware: 1-Wire serial adapter from Dallas, a 1-Wire counter from Hobbyboards, and so on.

I "confiscated" the space under the stairs to become the "Home Control Datacenter" and started building. It took some time before I had everything up and running, but around february this year i had a working 1-Wire counter that monitored the gas usage and i had written a piece of software to put all counter data in a SQL database.

Since then i almost haven't had any time to spend on HA; however, since a couple of days i have resumed the reliability testing on the counter and still have to solve some issues.

Here some pictures from my work in progress:

Screendump of my HCS-PC:
Showing the SQL database, a Velleman PCS-10 datalogger for reviewing signal
quality, and my Home Control Software (i wouldn't call it a system yet...)

Picture of the gas meter:
With a CNY70 in front of the last digit and a large aluminum case for
the electronics on top of it (yes, it's big for a 1-Wire Counter, but i'm anticipating future expansion of 1-Wire stuff here...)

Picture of my "Home Control Datacenter"

Once the reliability issues i'm facing right now are solved, i'll move on and start monitoring the electricity usage by means of a KWh-meter with S0-interface and monitoring water usage with 2 water meters from Alaxa. All required hardware has already been purchased, now it's just a matter of (a lot of) time to get the job done...

Regards,
Digit
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Work in progress...

Post by MindBender »

That's a good start: Go Digit go!

But if you want it really interesting, you can install Linux on the router in the lower photo and you can use the processor's general purpose input/output pins for your meters...
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Work in progress...

Post by Digit »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MindBender</i>
<br />That's a good start: Go Digit go!

But if you want it really interesting, you can install Linux on the router in the lower photo and you can use the processor's general purpose input/output pins for your meters...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Well, that's just a mainstream 8-port switch you're seeing; the other black box is the Velleman PCS10. So I think i think i'll be having a hard time installing Linux on those devices.. ;-)
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Work in progress...

Post by Bwired »

Did you use the schematic for the CNY70 which I put on this forum (thanks to Heino Peters)?
Also put some 1-wire temperature sensors on your house heating. As I can see I think you have floorheating as well. You can measure Input Output temeperature etc.
Regards Pieter
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Work in progress...

Post by Digit »

Yes, I did use your schematic, you already gave it to me back in December 2005.

The heating pipes you see is actually the "distribution center" near the stairs/front door of the house; the central heating is located at the other end of the house and all heating pipes for distribution are under the floor. Distribution to the rooms upstairs and downstairs is done here. But it's no real floorheating.

Nevertheless, i'll definitely put some temp sensors here!

BTW, i just ordered some X10 equipment to start some experiments in that area ! Just can't wait !

Regards,
Digit
simplemind
Starting Member
Starting Member

Work in progress...

Post by simplemind »

Very nice work Digit, I like that. Keep us informed about your progress.

You talked about 'reliability issues' what problems did you encounter and how did you solve them.

Regards,

Marcel
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Work in progress...

Post by MindBender »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Digit</i>
Well, that's just a mainstream 8-port switch you're seeing; the other black box is the Velleman PCS10. So I think i think i'll be having a hard time installing Linux on those devices.. ;-)
I see. Yet it looks like the Sweex/Edimax router as described here:
http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/lis ... ges/984121
http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/lis ... es/1059423
I have bought one, new for only 25 Euro. The case looks like a universal type which can be used for other products too, so I guess that's why I mixed up your switch with this router.
Anyway, it's a pretty powerful creature; It has a 220MHz MIPS32 on board and it does have 15 general purpose I/O pins. There's already a Linux version available for it, so it shouldn't be too difficult to use it for home automation.
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Work in progress...

Post by Digit »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by simplemind</i>
<br />
You talked about 'reliability issues' what problems did you encounter and how did you solve them.

Regards,

Marcel

Thanks (everyone) for your interest.

Well, i haven't solved my problem yet...it's very hard to tackle, since it only occurs once every 1-3 weeks...
I started a new topic on it to see if anyone has some bright ideas to get rid of it... just read this: http://www.domoticaforum.eu/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=122
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Work in progress...

Post by Digit »

Well,

It has been quite a while, but i've just reached the next step in my gas monitoring project! Browsing through SQL querys is not very informative and became too boring, so i tried to get all the information that's gathered into some bar charts. Here's one of them, created a couple of minutes ago and showing the gas usage over the last 48 hours:

Still not 100% finished, but i'm getting there!
I think i'm gonna frame this one and hang it on the wall above my bed :-)

Regards,
Digit,

who's now trying to get a reason for why one of the days that has the highest gas usage last month, was actually a day that nobody was at home the whole day...

Man, is this an addictive hobby or what?

Return to “Home Automation Projects”