Barcode scanner on wastebasket

Show or discuss your existing Home automation project here, so a detailed explanation!.....
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Hi Bert, Frank.
Good idea, I have still a barcode scanner here which I want to put at use, but not having a database with all the products kept me from doing it! Self filling all the products is a hugh job, but combining is an option. If there are some home automation guys in the Netherlands who want to do the same we can make a realtime MYSQL database where everyone can puts there products in and use them online.

BTW: nice site, does not look like Bwired at all [:D]

Pieter Knuvers
www.bwired.nl Online House in the netherlands. Domotica, Home Automation.
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

I think i can get a barcode scanner, so i'm in!

But: let's take it a little further in that case. Just scanning what goes in and out is not a real challenge, is it?

Suppose you have several cans of milk in your fridge, i would like the fridge to display a suggestion of what can to pick, based on THT. Now i have to check all individual THT's of the cans myself and then pick the one that's due to "expire" the soonest. Divide the fridge into storage locations, and when you enter the THT into the database, you also enter the storage location. That way the fridge should be able to produce an advice on which can of milk to pick...
Also, the fridge((s) in my case) should be aware of already opened cans of milk, no matter in which fridge this opened can is and always suggest to pick that can.

Second, we need some functionality to regularly check the contents of the fridge and refresh the contents-database. Because i'm sure stock differences will pop up the moment my children have taken some glasses of milk...

Another issue: i've got 2 kinds of coffeemilk in the fridge: those little cups containing only 7 ml for just 1 cup of coffee and a bottle of 0,5 l. These 2 items have different EAN codes. However i want to have the fridge advise me on which kind of coffeemilk to pick... so what is actually needed is the fridge to present me some kind of list of "Article groups" currently present. I choose "coffeemilk" from the list of Article groups, and the fridge says: "Take the bottle". Something like that....

Another thing that is important is your daily amount of coffeemilk you use. The fridge should start suggesting the bottle soon enough to be able to use up the complete contents of the bottle before it reaches its THT...

And so on...

Nevertheless, count me in. I'll try to get a barcode scanner and we'l see what happens!
RDNZL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by RDNZL »

What are the specs of a barcode scanner needed for scanning food etc?
Which protocol, which scanner has a good price/quality?

Do they speak std ascii serial protocol?
Anyone using them with linux?

It looks really interesting.
Printing a shopping list is a piece of cake.

One nice thing would be to keep prices, and stores in the database.

So you can save money to buy new domotica gadgets with ;-)
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

I have a barcode pen the Scanteam 6180 it is a pen version.
I still have to install this and make software for it.
My problem is also how to install this in the kitchen in neat way.
This bar code pen gets it power over the RS232 line. But I don't want to install a lot of cables. A wireless bar-code pen would be better.
So I still haven't figured out the right setting yet.
BTW: there are also wireless and bluetooth barcode scanners available!

Features
- Serial Communication
- Programmable by Bar Code Menu
- Integrated Decoder
- Industry-Leading Decode Algorithms
- Outputs decoded data in serial ASCII format for easy integration into existing RS232 applications.
- Easily configured for all aspects of system performance.
- Saves valuable workspace by eliminating the need for a separate decoder box.
- Fast, accurate autodiscrimination of all major linear bar code symbologies.
Richard

Post by Richard »

>>BTW: there are also wireless and bluetooth barcode scanners available!

There are even devices wich contains the following all in one device,
- PDA with touchscreen (WinCE)
- GSM communication
- GPRS connectivity
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Wifi connectivity 11b/g
- Barcode scanner / 3D Barcode scanner / RFID Scanner

This are very neat devices, they are expencive and not very little, but it has almost all wichable things in one package :-)
For more info see: http://www.datalogic.com/ and take a look at the "Mobile" section.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

Has anyone worked with this a bit further? I like the idea, but having to scan everything going in and out will at some point be forgotten by me or my gf. And also i have "offline" storage, i buy like 24 cans of coke x 4. Then you put some in the fridge, but this does not give an indication of how much cans there are still availible ;)

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Niknik

Post by Niknik »

Well, I think it's easy to get carried away.
I think we should implement features that help us and make our lives easier. Having to manually scan every product in and out is impractical (in my humble opinion).
It might be doable in a "single person" home, but as soon as you had wife, kids... it will definitely not work as intended - and besides, I think it adds too much complication to the regular daily use of food and drinks.

I think this will be feasible when all products have RFID tags (or any other wireless method), completely bypassing the manual bar code scanning process... until then, it will be a headache trying to do it.

Again, just my opinion, don't want to discourage anyone implementing it! :)
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Alexander »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Digit</i>
<br />I think i can get a barcode scanner, so i'm in!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Somebody started with this project? I've bought a laser bar scanner. If not, i will try to start. I think of a webservice that can be used to insert products and to retrieve information about the EAN code. The frontend will be a application that scans the EAN code and retrieves information from the webservice. To overcome the problems when entering more items of the same product everything, barcodes can be printed and stick somewhere. You just scan the EAN code, if an additional barcode has been scanned, the application "know" how many items it has to store in its database. Dates can be entered just like having an list of barcodes resambling the date. I would not prefer to enter much information with a pc/touchscreen (it will give alot of headaches i guess (clicking that or that, etc.))
drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by drmacchi »

Hi Guys, i think it will be a "wild jungle" managing all what is going in/out from kitchens , mostly if managed by several people.... headaches are coming :) :) . Then, something may be supporting your idea.....you , guru of software, could do a opensource project like this , where eveerybody can contribute , and have a big database in a short time. hoping it helps, Lorenzo
http://www.codecheck.info/
Stevexyz

Post by Stevexyz »

I can do this; I found a database which you can download into MySQL.

The database knows about 50% of my barcodes but it's annoying entering the rest manually.

It's hard to remember to scan everything in; I've not done so since the middle of August.

I was thinking of connecting it to online recipes (although in my case, beer and milk there's not much point)[:)]

Cheers, Steve
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Alexander »

Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

indeed, but how do you scan stuff in your kitchen for instance? quickly and to the computer :) thats still a issue i think.

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

bar code scanner doesn't have to be expensive.. http://cuecats.com/USBProductDetails.aspx i think this one is so "cheap" that it must be easy to build something for it..

some perl for it http://www.beau.lib.la.us/~jmorris/linux/cuecat/

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Alexander »

I bought this one: http://www.inkoopacties.net/ia/0q880yyh/1/3dln6mww

In the manual is also a few pages with bar codes to change the reading of the device. The device itself understands the code and changes it config.
To insert products quickly we can do things with codes as bar codes so that the computer "knows" what to do next.

Like we have 5 Coca-Cola bottles. We scan the EAN code on the bottle and scan the barcode represents *QUANTITY* and *5*. The system insert this 5 times in the database. Next command with the bar scanner *THT* and *21*, *12*, *2009* for the first bottle. If we insert the next command *QUANTITY*, the system will wait for the amount of bottles that has the same expire date. If the *QUANTITY* isn't the next code it waits for the next dates bar codes. If a timeout passes, it will cancel the *QUANTITY* command or if an new EAN code has been scanned, the systems waits for the *THT* or *QUANTITY* code or cancels it insertion if a time out has passed. On your desktop you use the "management tool" to change the products with the keyboard if needed.

Sounds?
RDNZL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by RDNZL »

I just finished my barcode/shoppinglist module...

I can switch modes (add, substract, find etc) by scanning F1..F5 commands, so I won't have to touch my keyboard (only if I need to enter a description for a new product)

Having only 12 known codes in my db, so some serious data entry still needs to be done ;-)

I can set a desired qty for each product, which enables me to print a shopping list for items which have a higher desired qty, than currently is in stock.

Return to “Home Automation Projects”