My first domotica home

Show or discuss your existing Home automation project here, so a detailed explanation!.....
Post-IT

My first domotica home

Post by Post-IT »

I've been posting on this forum for a few weeks now, so I think it's time give some more insight on what I'm building, and trying to accomplish.

I have bought an apartment in the center of Rotterdam, which is in the process of being reordered and refitted. 90% of the lightswitches will be automated.

So far I have ordered the following hardware:
- Homeseer Hometroller2 (incl. HStouch software)
- 3x Nanovision MIMO UM-740 touchscreen
- RFXCOM WLAN+LAN Transmitter/receiver
- AVIOSYS IP power 9212 deluxe
- AVIOSYS IP Kamera
- Xanura PMIX35
- 19x Xanura DAIX12
- 11x Xanura SAIX12
- 5x Xanura IMX10
- 1x Xanura FKX40
- 3x Xanura SFX40
- 5x Oregon Scientific sensors (2x THGR228N, 3x THC138)
- HAI Omnistat2 Thermostat RC-1000 white
- ABUS CFA1000 Hometec motorized cilinderlock (incl. KM300 interface)
- 2x electrical towelrails (high powered heating element)

I will be reusing my old ATI RF remote and some klik-aan-uit modules.

Hardware which I'm still thinking about buying:
- Caddx NX-8E security system with several glassbreak-, motion-, smoke- and door sensors. Also thinking about a RFID keyfob addon.
- two Chromoflex RGB LED controlers
- a whole bunch of LED lighting, such as RGB strips, power SMD bars, LED spots, etc.
- electric curtainrails
- motion detection modules
- Golmar video module to capture video signals from the central doorphone when the bell is pushed.

Some scenarios which made me choose to build a domotica system:
- no more "uncontrolled" scheduled thermostat actions: turn on the heat when people are in the house and awake, turn it of when the alarm is activated. So there will be no more unnecessary energy loss
- turn on the floorheating and towelracks when I wake up, and turn them of when I'm done in the bathroom. Other use of bathroom will not activate floorheating or towelracks
- activate fans when humidity is above a predefined point
- Turn off all lights, closing some curtains and lock the door when activating the alarm and leaving home, no more walking all around the house to check lighting and appliances
- digitally alter LED colors and lighting scenes depending on time of day, etc.
- turn lights on and of based on movement (storage, toilet, hallway, etc.)
- turn of all lights and heating, switch on some alarm zones, and setting the sleeptimer on the bedroom TV when starting the sleeping scenario
- when sleeping scenario is active, do not turn on main lights in the hallway, but only downlights when motion is detected (going to the bathroom/toilet at night)
- When friend comes over to check on an security alert to be able to open the door, turn off the alarm, and turn on the lights when it is dark by just using the phone, number recognition and a personal PIN code. No more extra keys which are hanging around in drawers.
- RFID tags to unlock the door, disarm the alarm, and turn on the lights and heating when necessary.

Some of the rules I thought of when setting this up:
- no more then 2 remotes, most of the actions should be automated, or actived using 3 touchscreens at general locations around the house, and light switches
- do not create any dependencies which might cause trouble when automation fails, or in case of power loss
- no critical signals over the air (only some klik-aan-uit and the curtains, but no light switches, security or locks. Those should be controlled using hard wire.
- If the system will be removed at some point, it should be easily replaceable with normal cabling and switches without reopening the walls

Some of the things I'm still thinking about:
- voicemail for the central door phone (i.e. leave a message, UPS packages may be delivered at the neighbor)
- advanced electricity usage tracking using RFXmeter
- activate floorheating per sector depending on scenarios/time of day, etc.
- creating a Chromoflex Homeseer plugin with a Philips Livinglight like interface for HStouch
- usage of curtain PIR's for tracking motion around the house
- facial recognition using the webcams in the UM-740 screens (activate personal dashboard when approaching touchscreen)
- wireless speaker system for Homeseer around the house using bluetooth or some other technology (low profile, low cost)
- active RFID for tracking my car when coming home or leaving (problem is I'm on the 12th floor...)
- and much more!

I hope you guys will get an impression of what I'm trying to accomplish. If you have some nice idea's or solutions to some of the problems, please let me know.

Post.
Esteban
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

My first domotica home

Post by Esteban »

Well that is already quite the collection ;) Looks like you've been doing some homework.

The only thing which I personally would not use is the hometroller2 (price vs expansion). What made you choose the hometroller2 instead of a custom system with HS on it?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">- voicemail for the central door phone (i.e. leave a message, UPS packages may be delivered at the neighbor)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
A very cool idea, just keep in mind that anybody (aka burglar) that rings your bell will know that you're not in at that moment.

For RFID tracking of assets and persons you could use something like this:
http://www.iautomate.com/rfid_starter.html
It's compatible with homeseer. Just be aware that for some of the uses they advertise you actually need multiple readers. But for just home/away stuff just one receiver could suffice. (for car RFID it would probably depend which floor you live on and where you park)

Ciao,
Esteban
Post-IT

My first domotica home

Post by Post-IT »

Thanks Esteban!

I've been a hardware/software engineer, consultant, sales guy and much more in the last few years. Since I've left windows and normal PC's behind me and switched to OSX for desktop use, and Unix for server platform, my life has been a lot easier. The last time I had to reinstall an OS or use the screwdriver was when I upgraded my laptop Macbook harddisk 2 years ago, and before that it was 2 years earlier when I had many troubles with my desktop and other systems. That is when I switched to the less troubled platforms.

I have switched to appliances and embedded software for ease of use and less troubles.

With an installation of this size is it very nice to have full support from Homeseer. No issues with hardware trouble, because it is also their hardware, so either way it will be a "go fix!". The box is small and quiet, preconfigured, small footprint XPe. It works like a charm. It might be a bit expensive, but in my opinion it was worth the money.
Esteban
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

My first domotica home

Post by Esteban »

You're welcome,

I can see the advantage of a homeseer box done the 'Mac-way' (hardware & software) but the lack of expansion possibilities and upgrading are a showstopper for me. But I agree, embedded can be more reliable. Beside the Hometroller2 are you planning to run another server for the house?

As for <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">wireless speaker system for Homeseer around the house using bluetooth or some other technology (low profile, low cost)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
You could have a look at wireless wifi speakers (2.4GHz) depending on how thick your walls are these could be used to give Homeseer a voice around the house. Just be aware that when you turn on the microwave there could be some intereference. Not sure if Bluetooth would do the trick for this as it usually has a very limited range.

Ciao,
Esteban
Post-IT

My first domotica home

Post by Post-IT »

I have a Synology DS207+ as download-, file- and ftpserver. All the other server stuff is running from the datacenter such as SMS gateway, hosting server and more.

I have tried to find some wifi speakers, but I can't find any affordable and simple system. Do you have a link or brand?
Esteban
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

My first domotica home

Post by Esteban »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Post-IT</i>
<br />I have tried to find some wifi speakers, but I can't find any affordable and simple system. Do you have a link or brand?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

'Affordable' is a relative word but I have some links. ;)

http://www.vivanco-direct.com/speakers- ... 3_106.html

http://www.mediaatlantic.com/product.php/133376/0/

http://www.mediaatlantic.com/product.ph ... 590d5895b4

http://www.vivanco-direct.com/fms-2020- ... 10771.html

http://www.mediaatlantic.com/product.ph ... 590d5895b4

By the way, I don't know these webshops, I just looked up some of the models I know. Although I must say the prices at mediaatlantic.com are not bad. Some of these are 800MHz-band the rest in the 2.4GHz-band. 800 might be a good alternative.

I myself have several CHS5500, but those are the most expensive ones from this list. The CHS5000 are pretty similar but a different design, only for indoor use and don't have a remote-control, I think.

One thing to keep in mind when using 2.4ghz speakers is that there could be some interference on a camera if you have them run on the same channel as a wireless camera.
drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

My first domotica home

Post by drmacchi »

I will buy these , wireless, outdoor certified. 76 euros on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.it/RIMAX-CASSE-ALTOPARL ... 240%3A1318
Esteban
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

My first domotica home

Post by Esteban »

@drmacchi: When you get them, I'd be interested in hearing what you think about these 'Dart Fener' speakers. ;) They might be a good cheaper option.

Ciao,
Esteban
drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

My first domotica home

Post by drmacchi »

That's it! Dart Fener audio! I'll use them to have Homeseer's audio announcements out in the garden. Ciao, Lorenzo

Return to “Home Automation Projects”