My touchscreen project

Show or discuss your existing Home automation project here, so a detailed explanation!.....
Chiel

My touchscreen project

Post by Chiel »

A while ago i made a stainless-steel frame for a forum member's touchscreen.
Not cut by laser but punch-pressed and bended sides, so it looked "thicker" than just the material.
Since 1 week i have a new CNC bending machine and can make them more precise and more complicated than before.

I hope he will post a picture of his finished screen.

Here is a picture i made, it isn't made for this screen, size don't match exact, i just putted it in front of this one (sorry for the dirty fingers[:)])

r_255
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

My touchscreen project

Post by r_255 »

Hey, Chiel..... :D It might look ungreatfull, but the project is still not finished :(

It was a huge disapointment that frame did not work here because of the described problem.

Even a self made solution from 1 mm aluminum did not do the trick...
I thaught aluminium would not have the same impact as the rvs would have.

Silly enough i found out after that one about the coil effect that these frames seem to have. Shame on me i did not read that before.

But it looks deamned good on the wall. Hard to see on a picture, but you are invited as mentioned.

I am going to invest some time if an other type of overlay screen does not have these problems and else i just give up and make something from mdf and Formica http://www.formica.eu.com/publish/site/ ... /home.html

The aluminium is very easy to handle and can be folded quite easy. The haakse slijper eats it like cake and could be dremeld to with out any problems. Could be a good alternative for the mimo screen.
( like in the second picture )

I bought a plate of 50x50cm at a samen kopen aktie with acryan stuff to mod pc enclosures.

Oh and it might be good to mention that some screens can get quite hot and then it might be wise to have some ventilation or space for a bit of air circulation.
Lempens

My touchscreen project

Post by Lempens »

Why don't you use plexiglass. It's cheap and easy to handle. In different colors.

http://www.bouwplastics.nl/

r_255
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

My touchscreen project

Post by r_255 »

Because in my interior rvs is used as an accent, i still have a mdf frame wich can be overlayed with the formica.

But thanks alot for the tip! Feel a bit guilty to the person that made my frame, as i should have known after lurking arround for sometime and read almost everything that comes across.

Even changed the screen for another one wich had the same problem ( mouse pointer jumps nervous arround somewhere in the middle of the screen.

Isnt there any solution possible for this problem ? As i dont understand what exactly causes the problem its hard to find a solution

Oh and it might be handy to have a sticky with this issue, allong with some other helpfull tips to build a screen into the wall that we have gained by trial and error. Might save others...

Oh and nicely done Wifi.... sorry for going offtopic.! I really love to see these projects.

I did it the other way arround,as i had to build this wall i had the idea to mount touch screen.
Fist i made a Wooden frame and coated that with gypsum- board, and then it was finished with plaster.
Esteban
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

My touchscreen project

Post by Esteban »

@Post-IT: Thanks for the info, double-sided tape, why didn't I think of that ;) That stuff is pretty solid once fixed. I agree that having the ability to easily access the control without having to see them all the time is a big plus and magnets work perfect for this type of thing.

If your plumber does his job then I don't think water or rust should be an issue within the house. Maybe if you have reaaaly sweaty palms... ;-)

@Lempens: Thanks for the plexishop link, I just happened to need a piece of plexi.

Ciao,
Esteban
Post-IT

My touchscreen project

Post by Post-IT »

After the painter finished last week, I had the change to put in the screens, glue in the magnets, and finish things off:

Noel

My touchscreen project

Post by Noel »

Looks really nice!

--
Esteban
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

My touchscreen project

Post by Esteban »

Thanks for the follow-up picture. It turned out great, that looks pretty slick Post-IT. [8D]
d-mixxx
Starting Member
Starting Member

My touchscreen project

Post by d-mixxx »

@ Post-IT
Daar ik mij niet altijd in Engels verstaanbaar kan maken doe ik het ook even in het Nederlands.
Because my Englisch is bad i place also some texts in Dutch.

Is de kans niet groot dat de magneetjes van het lijm breekt, of heb je die ver in de muur geplaatst?
Is there a chance that the magnets broke from the glue, or are they put with a little distance in the wall?

Klopt het ook dat je het frame dan 'zelf' recht erop moet plaatsen, dus bij veel kracht een mogelijkheid is dat hij verplaatst / niet recht zit?
Is it also right that you put the frame on your own at the magnets, so with a little push there is a possiblity that the frame is out of balance?

Als ik contact opneem met ferrodesign omtrent een frame voor een mimo scherm, weet hij dan wat ik bedoel (gezien gebruiker wifi ook hem blijbaar gecontact heeft), of zijn ze verder onbekend op dit gebied?
If i contact ferrodesign about the 'mimo'-frame you used, he knows what i mean (cause wifi also contacted him), or is he further unknown about this thing.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

My touchscreen project

Post by Snelvuur »

I send him a initial mail (ferodesign) but he went on vacation after that, i came back to him after vacation but have not heard since from him. Maybe he does not read his email that much..

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Post-IT

My touchscreen project

Post by Post-IT »

Because FerroDesign is a Dutch company only delivering in The Netherlands, I'll answer in Dutch. For those interested, let me know I'll translate on request.

De magneetjes zitten in het hout gelijmd met Bison montagelijm/kit, daar waar ze in het stucwerk zitten laten ze snel los. Maar dat komt door twee dingen, gips is niet sterk, en ik heb het frame er zo snel op gedaan dat de lijm ook het frame aan de magneetjes vast maakte. Daar waar ik ze in of direct op het hout gelijmd heb zitten ze prima. Ik heb de magneetjes bij Conrad besteld (504254 - Rondmagneet 8X4 mm), dit is de extra sterke versie. Met 4 magneetjes per scherm zit het frame bijzonder vast, je stoot 'm niet zo maar scheef, en je moet flink moeite doen om het frame te verschuiven of los te krijgen.

Erik is eigen baas, en heeft over het algemeen veel werk en grotere opdrachten. Het is dus geen uitgebreid bedrijf die iemand in dienst heeft die continue achter mogelijke orders aan zit. Als je tussendoor wil met een dergelijk kleine order zal je er dus even achteraan moeten bellen. Als je zegt dat je een zelfde frame wil als Arnoud voor een klein touchscreen, weet hij wel waar het over gaat.

Verder is het zo dat het gaatje voor de webcam bij de eerste laser opdracht net iets te laag zat (+/- 1 mm), hij heeft deze voor me gecorrigeerd. Ik zou dus adviseren om te vragen naar een frame zonder gaatje voor de camera, en deze achteraf zelf te boren als je die wil gebruiken.

Ik zelf zit nog te twijfelen over het huidige ontwerp. Zoals je ziet in de onderkant een bredere strook dan de bovenkant. Dit komt doordat het Mimo scherm een bredere onderkant heeft voor de knoppen. Je zou er voor kunnen kiezen om de bovenkant breder en gelijk met de onderkant te laten maken, hierdoor ziet het er wat meer symmetrisch uit.

Nog een prijstip: Gezien de orderkosten voor het laserwerk is het verstandig om alle frames samen te bestellen (in ieder geval gelijktijdig).
d-mixxx
Starting Member
Starting Member

My touchscreen project

Post by d-mixxx »

Klinkt goed.
De magneetjes heb ik al besteld (8x1mm, 20 stuks).

Ik zie dat 'snelvuur' een frame nog nodig heeft (isn't it?). Als jij ook twijfelt over je huidige ontwerp kan er gekeken worden naar een nieuw ontwerp (liefst met gaatje). Hebben we al 3 frame's...
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

My touchscreen project

Post by Snelvuur »

I would like to have 2 screens, i want a mimo perhaps later in the kitchen, and its also nice to have a backup.

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Fantic

My touchscreen project

Post by Fantic »

When you need to mount magnets in the wall it could be an idea to use the Whiteboard magnets instead as they have a small edge that can be used to fix them while plastering to prevent them form being pulled out the wall.
Just my 2ct's

Regards, Maarten.
Never let a computer know you're in a hurry.
Post-IT

My touchscreen project

Post by Post-IT »

I used the small magnets so the overlap of the frame would be as minimal possible. If you use bigger magnets, the edge of the frame would have to be bigger. I have a 2-4 mm margin.

Return to “Home Automation Projects”