Domotica hosting

Show or discuss your existing Home automation project here, so a detailed explanation!.....
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Domotica hosting

Post by Alexander »

Gents,

I was thinking: Would it be possible to host the server (who almost everybody has over here) with the domotica software in a datacenter? I already have a server hosted in a datacenter and it would be nice to save money for the power usage of the server which reside in-house.

Using a router (like the Fritz!Box which has an USB connector for sharing USB connected stuff over Ethernet) or Belkin LAN USB (or how is it called?), all those connected USB devices are routeable. Or an Ethernet RS232 device (or RS232-2-USB orcourse). The only need is that the Ethernet device has a gateway option.

Has anyone tried this?
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Domotica hosting

Post by Snelvuur »

you dont want your house to break down if internet fails, i think most of us agree with that statement. It has to be wife friendly.

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Domotica hosting

Post by Alexander »

Domotica is intended to support the wife, not to control the wife ;-)
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Domotica hosting

Post by TANE »

The costs of hosting are much higher then a new domotica server like the Mac mini
or any netlaptop with atom 270
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Domotica hosting

Post by Alexander »

Yes, on a personal basis, not if you already have one or host multple virtual machines for multiple persons/houses. Or for you own if you have a second house.

every idea has possitive sides and con sides.

And a data center is the normal way (multiple P's/etc), but someone could host at home for others. I've an 50/50 Mbit fiber 2 the home.

I just wondered about any technical problems that could arise (besides the needed internet connection).
Esteban
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Domotica hosting

Post by Esteban »

Haven't tried it but it is probably possible. But I'd have to agree, generally the costs will probably be higher than what you'd pay on electricity for running an small energy efficient server at home.

Ciao,
Esteban

update: you were too quick posting mgizmo ;) Still I think most of us want that 'personal control' were we are master and lord of 'the' server. Unless you have some other people in mind to share the server with? I think a lot of us like the idea of having the server at home, where we can touch it.

Return to “Home Automation Projects”