Which Home Control PC do you have?

Show or discuss your existing Home automation project here, so a detailed explanation!.....
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

Well now you can also use a reverse proxy :)
Niknik

Post by Niknik »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by snelvuur</i>
<br />Well now you can also use a reverse proxy :)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Eheheh, one thing at a time... one thing at time... :)
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Back from Holiday!

The Bwired Webserver is a DELL Precision 650 Workstation with a Dual P4 XEON 2.8 MHZ, (Within OS as 4 cpu's)
2GB ECC 266DDR internal memory,
2x U320 300GB 10.000 Rpm SCSI Hard drives
2x Rs232, 4x USB 2.0 and 2x Fire wire.
The system has a additional Vscom USB 8 port Rs232 external adapter which gives the server a total of 10 RS232 connections. The system has also a Teles ISDN Telephone PCI adapter. The monitor I use is the DELL Ultrasharp 2405FPW 24-inch LCD-flat-panel.

This rather heavy system is absolute not necessary for my Home Control System and website to run, I just like fast machines and don't like to wait and I'm working on this machine. I have two of these machines one in spare.

I'm not using raid anymore because raid 0 is faster but once you get problems it's hell. and my system is fast enough. Raid 5 would do great is costing me a lot of expensive harddisk. I now backup automatic incremental the complete partition with a program called Acronis True Image. Also I copy the important files to a second disk.

I have a Belkin UPS which can handle the glitches of my power company and believe me lately there are a lot of glitches generated by Essent [:(!]

I think I will try Online backup from KPN as well, perhaps my employer will give it for free [:)]

I'm thinking of moving this topic the the forum Home Automation Projects.... agree ?
Regards
Pieter
Regards
Niknik

Post by Niknik »

Hi Pieter,

Glad to have you back - hope your stay in Italy was great! :)
Yes, please move the thread to the most appropriate section.
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

Hai Pieter,

Interesting box, the vscom 8 port adapter. Where did you get it, and how much did you pay for it.

Willem.
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bwired</i>
<br />Back from Holiday!

The Bwired Webserver is a DELL Precision 650 Workstation with a Dual P4 XEON 2.8 MHZ, (Within OS as 4 cpu's)
2GB ECC 266DDR internal memory,
2x SEAGATE U320 300GB 10.000 Rpm SCSI Hard drives
2x Rs232, 4x USB 2.0 and 2x Fire wire.
The system has a additional Vscom USB 8 port Rs232 external adapter which gives the server a total of 10 RS232 connections. The system has also a Teles ISDN Telephone PCI adapter. The monitor I use is the DELL Ultrasharp 2405FPW 24-inch LCD-flat-panel.

This rather heavy system is absolute not necessary for my Home Control System and website to run, I just like fast machines and don't like to wait and I'm working on this machine. I have two of these machines one in spare.

I'm not using raid anymore because raid 0 is faster but once you get problems it's hell. and my system is fast enough. Raid 5 would do great is costing me a lot of expensive harddisk. I now backup automatic incremental the complete partition with a program called Acronis True Image. Also I copy the important files to a second disk.

I have a Belkin UPS which can handle the glitches of my power company and believe me lately there are a lot of glitches generated by Essent [:(!]

I think I will try Online backup from KPN as well, perhaps my employer will give it for free [:)]

I'm thinking of moving this topic the the forum Home Automation Projects.... agree ?
Regards
Pieter
Regards
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">RAID5 saved me on couple of occasions, but i also learned not to save $ on disks. Getting cheap disks will eventually bite you. All my Maxtor disks have died,in some occasions they even died in pairs, which forced me to setup my array with one hot spare. This morning again a Maxtor disk died, i have now one left which i will toss out in the coming weeks. At the same time I will sell my megaraid 6 SATA PCI card. (Anyone who is interested pls contact me offline) I'm returning to good old SCSI disks, which are more expensive, but also faster and build for 24x7 operation.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Hi Willem,
The USB serial controller I bought with Digitron Electronics www.digitron-alkmaar.nl Including tax it was 200 euros.
It was the USB 8com 8 x RS232 DB9 Serial adapter to USB

You are right about the raid 5 option, but my Seagate 300GB drives are costing a lot of money. And as you know as well the Seagate SCSI drives are very reliable and designed for 24/7 operation. Also when something goes wrong I have images of the complete week and a recovery would take me 15 minutes. Also it's still a hobby [:)] If I find a good sponsor ill be glad to activate the Raid 5 option, my system has a very good and fast Raid Controller. In my other system I have a Adaptec SATA raid controller and 4 x 250GB WD hard disks. But they cant compete with my SCSI system.
Regards Pieter
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

You can buy normal sata disks, but you also have the "high grade" versions, which suppose to have more disk hour usage then normal. To be honoust, the only disk that died in my house is the one in my satellite dreambox system. Funny part is that i hardly used that disk (only when i record a movie it was in use, otherwise it was turned off) I never turn off the other pc's..
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

HI Eric,
Multiple drives died in my dreambox, so I almost know for sure that it's caused by the Dreambox. We have a lot of the same interest :-)
Pieter
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

I'am now busy with my new aquired cisco 7960 phone.. and a linksys wip330 (although i think it sucks untill now)
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Yeb, definitely the same interest :-) I looked at the Cisco as well, that will be a tough cookie, you need the special firmware on it.
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bwired</i>
<br />Yeb, definitely the same interest :-) I looked at the Cisco as well, that will be a tough cookie, you need the special firmware on it.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Should work with a SIP image ...
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

<br />Hi Willem,
The USB serial controller I bought with Digitron Electronics www.digitron-alkmaar.nl Including tax it was 200 euros.
It was the USB 8com 8 x RS232 DB9 Serial adapter to USB

You are right about the raid 5 option, but my Seagate 300GB drives are costing a lot of money. And as you know as well the Seagate SCSI drives are very reliable and designed for 24/7 operation. Also when something goes wrong I have images of the complete week and a recovery would take me 15 minutes. Also it's still a hobby [:)] If I find a good sponsor ill be glad to activate the Raid 5 option, my system has a very good and fast Raid Controller. In my other system I have a Adaptec SATA raid controller and 4 x 250GB WD hard disks. But they cant compete with my SCSI system.
Regards Pieter
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I asked for the industrial version which is more expensive, funny enough I found the same box to be a lot cheaper in the U.S. maybe I contact vscom directly.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Thats the one, it's not standard in the device... right.
We are drifting away in this topic :-) but I found the webserver in the phone very poor regarding information about received and made calls. Do you have a solution for that or is the firmware updated.
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

<br />(Within OS as 4 cpu's)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
You'd better turn off HyperThreading; It doesn't work, at best.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The system has a additional Vscom USB 8 port Rs232 external adapter which gives the server a total of 10 RS232 connections.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Now that's a nifty device! You simply cannot have enough serial ports.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">This rather heavy system is absolute not necessary for my Home Control System and website to run, I just like fast machines and don't like to wait and I'm working on this machine. I have two of these machines one in spare.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Really? I can imagine you need plenty of RAM as a cache, but that much processing power, and such fast harddrive? Do you have internet upload capacity to match?
That's a huge contrast with my Epia 1GHz system...

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I'm not using raid anymore because raid 0 is faster but once you get problems it's hell.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I concur: I nearly lost all my data due to one faulty drive in RAID0 setup. Many low-/mid-end RAID controllers don't detect errors soon enough. Soon I'll rely on my ReadyNAS in RAID1, with mid-end Hitachi drive. No more Seagate for me: Of the 6 drives I bought last year, 4 have been returned defective and a 5th is making clicking noises.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I have a Belkin UPS which can handle the glitches of my power company and believe me lately there are a lot of glitches generated by Essent<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Same here! I've had 6 blackouts this year alone! That's below any standard. So I'm thinking about getting myself a HP 5500VA Online UPS. It would be powering an entire group so I would have to get the pie out of the oven in case of a blackout ;-). Though I'm afraid it will seriously add to my power consumption and it may complicate X10 signal transmission becuase it actively irons out disturbances...

Return to “Home Automation Projects”