New development Active RFID

Show or discuss your existing Home automation project here, so a detailed explanation!.....
Carlo

Post by Carlo »

Hello,
We are finally succeeding with the new active RF-ID project. So on a short term it is possible to have wireless entry to our homes.
Most of us "home-automaters" experienced lots of trouble with existing RF-ID products. Out of frustration some of us started to think of what we really would like to have and came up with a list of wishes and requirements. After some tests, I finally started the development from scratch of new hardware and software for an active RF-ID key with a base-station:

The transmission range is about 100 - 300 meters, depending on the situation and position of the antenna's.
The keys will have two buttons for open and close/secure the house, but can also be automated. A LED-indication gives the necessary feedback, for example if all doors and windows are closed and security is enabled when leaving. It is of course possible to have more than one key to be recognized by the base-station.

The Base-station has a serial (RS232) port to communicate with your home automation system and, if desired, you can have USB later on.
This is also the nice part of this project: the home-automation community can decide what to have and how it should work. O, and yes: it will be affordable!
Another member will write the plug-in for Homeseer, so that is also covered (thank you Robert).

If you have any ideas, wishes or suggestions for this project they are very welcome!!!

Best regards, Carlo
Esteban
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Esteban »

Good to see this is going full steam ahead ;)

From the top of my head here are a couple of things that spring to mind:
- Encrypted keys?
- Location pin-pointing (although from what I have read on the net this is not really feasible easily without having many 'base-stations' spread around the house)
- The automatic part in the keyfob is more important than having buttons on it? So maybe also a key without extra buttons.
- Reliable signal strenght read-out for events based on how close the key is to the 'base-station'.
-Works in cars
-A key that can be powered by the car's power maybe, aka 12V?
-Keys should be small enough to be pocketable
drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by drmacchi »

Hi Carlo, just a question: will RFID HArdware work only for stand-alone security? I mean , i have allready an alarm system (x10 with SC9000). I was thinking at RFID as something to recognize people coming or leaving , with a RELATIONSHIP with the EXISTING ALARM SYSTEM (i come home rfid recognize me and deactivates alarm and turns on lights....). Then RFID working as identification of STRANGE people, i mean : if i have some MS13 outdoor and they are triggered while rfid tags are at home (people is at home) this means YOU HAVE SOMEONE IN THE GARDEN ! Then RFID for Pet ( a tag to place in the collar ) to track where you dog is outdoor, then RFID for veichles (same tracking). Rfid as momentary tags (the plumber has to come to repair something i'll give him an rfid tag to deactivate the alarm only in that day, when rfid is not anymore in range after X time , alarm will be activated again. New ideas coming........
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Alexander »

Will the tag be so small i can implant it in my girlfriend? ;-)

Alexander
Carlo

Post by Carlo »

Esteban,
Thanks for your quick response.
The Keys will be encrypted, and pairing on the base-station is necessary.
For positioning (location pinpointing) there will be at least 3 base-stations and self-learning software needed, so this is not implemented yet, but I can experiment after the first steps are finished.
At least one button on the RF-ID key will be needed for pairing with the base-station, so afterwards it can have a different function like securing manually.
Reliable signal strength readout is more or less possible at free sight, but that's rarely the case.
(But I will make this information available.)
This project is intentionally started to make it work in cars: getting home with a warm cup of coffee ready.
Good idea to spare batteries, perhaps 2 types of keys will be needed, one with a 12V connector and one that fits in the pocket.
First I will finish the pocket key, because this can also be placed in a car.
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Alexander »

Carlo, can you use any hardware-related help?

Alexander
Carlo

Post by Carlo »

hello drmacchi,
Because of safety reasons, the SC9000 can only be controlled with the accessory Marmitek RF products.
Therefore it is not possible to control a stand-alone alarm system with 3th party products.
Together with some additional home-control equipment it should however be possible to control your security by RF-ID in the way you described.
drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by drmacchi »

Hi Carlo, i'm sure you can ! when you send a B1 ON impulse , you activate SC9000. Simply , tag will be detected, HS plugin will send a B1 OFF, if tag will not be detected for X time it could send a B1 ON , or chech B1 status and then decide. I'll be your customer , sure !
drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by drmacchi »

Carlo, when will it be available?
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

If you already can control your alarm system from your HA system
Any input device can be usable for Arm/Disarm.

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">Enver Tanriverdi
http://www.tane.nl/</font id="size1">
Carlo

Post by Carlo »

Hi drmacchi, if I am correct and if you have also wireless X10, than anyone with a X10 remote control can turn off your security system by sending a B1 OFF?
I have also a X10 security system, but I am not able to switch the security function by X10 messages, only with encrypted RF messages or the buttons on the device itself.

In combination with homeseer, your security system is not really stand-alone and yes, than we can automate your whole list of wishes!
The expectation is to have the system available before end of January (2010).
drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by drmacchi »

You can if your remote is registered in SC9000, i was thinking that could be possible to emulate a REGISTERED remote ?
Now i have 2 alarm system (one is HW 0 SC9000, the other is SW and uses HS and Blade's security plugin with some ms13 not used by SC9000. If alarm is false with SC9000 (sometimes happends) and Blade isn't active , i can stay easy. If both are in warning , i sure 100% of troubles.
Carlo

Post by Carlo »

For emulating a registered X10 remote control, I have to find out how these principles work.
Some help in this from other forum-readers is welcome of course, because drmacchi ideas are very interesting.
@Alexander, what is your experience in this?
drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by drmacchi »

I know that rfxcom can interact with Sc9000 (Bert do you agree?) , to enable or disable the surveillance status. So this is the trick.
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Alexander »

@Carlo: i'm not, but i'm convinced that LEMF is. Did you watched his project developed in a product that many are using? If you need any testers, i'd like to be part of.

Alexander

Return to “Home Automation Projects”